Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa Species, Variants & Collection Points.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:14 PM
frontasia 51

::Profile::
Keeping: Zaire Blue (WC & F1s) Kapampa, Burundi,Mpimbwe,
Question MPIMBWE FRONTOSA

As a neophyte in the rearing and keeping frontosas as a hobby, may I seek the collected wisdom and experiences of my fellow enthusiats as to how many variants or sub variants are there to Mpimbwes?

Much is focused on the ever popular Zaire Blues, Kapampa, Samazi and so on, however not much on the Mpimbwes. Is the coloration of a mpimbwe only blue and white coloration? Are there Mpimbwes colored differently?

What sparked this thought is my recent post in a different thread asking help in identifying a frontosa in my collection and finding out it is a mpimbwe. However, I have never come across one of that coloration. Only through the contibution of ideas and scouring through this forum did I come to know of a dark blue Mpimbwe

Thank you for your inputs.

PICTURES and YOU TUBE ATTACHED
(Picture od DREW'S WC MPIMBWE)

(Picture of my MPIMBWE)

(YOU TUBE)
Mpimbwe Frontosa

(Pictures of a Mpimbwes ( harnsheng's) thast are in their "usual" coloration

Once again much apppreciation and thank you for your views

Last edited by frontasia 51; 12-26-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Correction with typos and editing
Old 12-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Mark
Administrator

There is a lot of information about the Mpimbwe on this site. Way back in the day, Mpimbwe and Burundi were the only two to pick from in the US. While some keepers kept them separate, some mixed them together. This hurt our hobby more than helped it. You can still find MpimbweXBurundi crosses to this day.
There are certainly some Mpimbwe darker than others. A lot can contribute to this, besides genetics....lighting,substrate,background,stressor s,mood. Some can turn it on and off like a switch. Some are just darker than others. Might have something to do with the actual collection point.

Here is one of mine. F2 or F3, I can't remember. I raised him from about 2". He is a descendant from Steve Perrymans Mpimbwe group. I can't remember if Steve's group was WC of F1. Brian got a batch from Steve's colony....then Brian sent me a batch from his group....but can't remember if Brians were F1 or F2.

Video Gallery: Burundi | Kapampa | Kitumba | Mpimbwe | Moba | Samazi
Photo Gallery: Frontosa | Gibberosa | Cyphotilapia Aquariums
Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Heather
VIP Member

Keeping: Kitumba, Kipili, Kigoma

Mpimbwe are far and away the most popular Tanzanian....
I agree, if you search our forums you will find a lot of information on them

You may also find this link helpful:
http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8484

Video Gallery: Burundi | Kapampa | Kitumba | Mpimbwe | Moba | Samazi
Photo Gallery: Frontosa | Gibberosa | Cyphotilapia Aquariums
Old 12-27-2010, 11:58 PM
frontasia 51

Keeping: Zaire Blue (WC & F1s) Kapampa, Burundi,Mpimbwe,
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
There is a lot of information about the Mpimbwe on this site. Way back in the day, Mpimbwe and Burundi were the only two to pick from in the US. While some keepers kept them separate, some mixed them together. This hurt our hobby more than helped it. You can still find MpimbweXBurundi crosses to this day.
There are certainly some Mpimbwe darker than others. A lot can contribute to this, besides genetics....lighting,substrate,background,stressor s,mood. Some can turn it on and off like a switch. Some are just darker than others. Might have something to do with the actual collection point.

Here is one of mine. F2 or F3, I can't remember. I raised him from about 2". He is a descendant from Steve Perrymans Mpimbwe group. I can't remember if Steve's group was WC of F1. Brian got a batch from Steve's colony....then Brian sent me a batch from his group....but can't remember if Brians were F1 or F2.

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the pic and the enlightening explanation. As a newbie in frontosa, these nuggets of information is to me like nuggets of gold. It helps me to understand and appreciate the subject of raising and keeping frontosas better.

In the eastern culture, we have an age old saying ~ "Huo Dao Lao Xue Dao Lao" which transalates to "There is no age barrier to learning and gaining knowledge, as long as you are willing to.

So sincerely, thank you Mark for the inputs and I appreciate the sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Mpimbwe are far and away the most popular Tanzanian....
I agree, if you search our forums you will find a lot of information on them

You may also find this link helpful:
http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8484
Many thanks Heather for the link.....I realised my folly.

What I found out was that Tanzanites and Mimpbwes are in the same category and when on refers to Tanzanites they are collectively considering Mimpbwes as well. Thus they are one and the same..?!?!!.. Hope that is correct.....(?!?)
Old 12-28-2010, 02:08 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Quote:
What I found out was that Tanzanites and Mimpbwes are in the same category and when on refers to Tanzanites they are collectively considering Mimpbwes as well. Thus they are one and the same..?!?!!.. Hope that is correct.....(?!?)
Sounds like you mean Tanzanian, which is the regional name/variant of the C. gibberosa that are found on the Tanzanian border of the lake. Tanzanite is a type of Tanzanian.

See this thread
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 AM
young man

Keeping: burundi, moba

bro mpimbwe itself is a variant of the larger collection called tanzanian.
mpimbwe itself thus have no sub groups under it.
others would include variants like samazi.

fishes are classed or grouped according to collection point followed by variant.
so mpimbwes are actually a variant under the collection point of tanzania
just like how one would call a fish C. gibbeceps zaire moba where by it is in the order of species, collection point, variant..
so if you would like to find out more on other variants, search tanzanians (:

note: my terms used "variants" , "sub variant" is just in the layman way of using it and not exactly according to scientific typing.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 AM
GibberosaUK

Keeping: WC Moba

Hi The YouTube video is my old Mpimbwe group, there will be a degree of variation in a collection point plus as mentioned above depending on substrate, lighting, mood, camera etc they can look very different. Here is a few pictures of the same alpha male from that video.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 PM
young man

Keeping: burundi, moba

nice handsome male there! good size good shape good colour!

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points