Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Talk General Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:58 PM
Nanook

::Profile::
Keeping: Lupota

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher View Post
Can't wait to check this thing out once you get it complete.
I知 hoping the rocks I bought will look decent. I have a friend that says I値l need more and driftwood, but I値l see what it looks like first. I値l get a picture up after the rock is placed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
How are you going to keep the nitro bacteria alive? They're a living organism and won't survive or multiply unless that have a food source...
The bottle says dose again at day 7, then I値l see where my ammonia and nitrite are sitting. If they池e zero I値l start adding life.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:17 PM
dannyt

Keeping: 125 gal 9 F1 Kapampa and friends

If you don't put something in to produce ammonia it will inevitably still read 0 in 7 days. 0 ammonia will also result in 0 nirtite as nitrite is the "waste" of bacterial consumption of ammonia. Fish respiration and waste production from feeding is what creates the food source for your beneficial bacteria. No food source, no bacterial reproduction. You can do a fishless cycle but you still need to supply a food source for your live bacteria. You can add ammonia directly to your fishless tank water, or simply throw in some fish food and it will rot creating ammonia to feed your bacteria. TBH if you just add BB from the bottle then wait 7 days those 7 days will be wasted. In a large tank like yours you could even add a handful of fish (6-8) to start the process. The large water volume of youf 375 gal will keep the toxic ammonia at a manageable level for the fish but still provide a food source for your BB. Alternatively you could add guppies or some other cheap fish to cycle, once you have 0 ammo, 0 nitrite and some nitrates remove them and add you tangs incrementally.
In 35 yrs of fish keeping I have found the bottled bacteria to be a gimmicky. The best way to cycle a new tank is to get some mature media from an existing aquarium, and add some fish immediately, the incrementally increase your numbers over time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
Nanook (09-22-2017), ujwaldignified (09-29-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Nanook

Ok, thanks. I am Leary to use existing filter media from the LFS due to potential for disease introduction. I have done ammonia cycling in the past, but thought the B.B. was the latest and greatest after reading a lot. I will add some food to the tank and see what happens. The lupota are the first fish I want to put in there for the first year or so, and I’m not wanting to risk adding a bunch and having them croak with a spike in nitrite.

How much food are we talking, a pinch of flake/pellets every couple days?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:14 PM
dannyt

I hear ya about the risk of disease, especially if from an LFS. Yea the Lupota are too precious to risk losing to an ammonia spoke.
If you have a filter sock or even a women silk stocking you could put a tsp of food in there every day or 2 until you start to see ammonia present on your water test. The sock/stocking will allow food to release ammonia but stop it from soiling your tank. Hang it in front of your filtet oulet to circulate water past it.
How many Lupota are you planning to add at 1 time?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:16 PM
dannyt

I would advise keeping some seachem prime on hand anyway. At 5 times the dechlorination dose it detoxifies toxic ammonia by converting it to nin- toxic ammonium which is still then consumed by the BB and turned into nitrite. In an ammonia emergency prime can save the day! 👍
Old 09-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Nanook

Quote:
I hear ya about the risk of disease, especially if from an LFS. Yea the Lupota are too precious to risk losing to an ammonia spoke.
If you have a filter sock or even a women silk stocking you could put a tsp of food in there every day or 2 until you start to see ammonia present on your water test. The sock/stocking will allow food to release ammonia but stop it from soiling your tank. Hang it in front of your filtet oulet to circulate water past it.
How many Lupota are you planning to add at 1 time?
I have a small filter bag that came with the Fluval filter. I知 hoping to add 20 to start things up, they値l be small though.

Quote:
I would advise keeping some seachem prime on hand anyway. At 5 times the dechlorination dose it detoxifies toxic ammonia by converting it to nin- toxic ammonium which is still then consumed by the BB and turned into nitrite. In an ammonia emergency prime can save the day! 👍
I致e got a liter on hand and will keep that in mind. What level would you consider ammonia to be toxic?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:40 PM
dannyt

20 Lupota is great start. What are the dimensions of your tank?
You want ammonia present during your cycle to feed you BB. Once your tank has cycled effectively you should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrates present. If for some reason you start seeing amonia after you add the fish you can use prime to detoxify it. Again because of the miniscule bioload 20 fry will place on your water volume and filtration I think you will be fine to add the Lupota as soon as you see nitrates present. They're a clear indicator that both nitrosomas and nitrobactors are present 👍
Old 09-22-2017, 02:46 PM
Nanook

The tank held a reef for 9 years, all you could see was coral. Got bored with it and wanted to save some money as I get older. My other tank is a 470 gallon that値l be geared towards mushrooms, ricordea, zoanthids and a couple H. gigantea. This 375 measures 96*30*30.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Nanook

I had a toadstool leather that was over 3 feet in diameter and weighed close to 80 pounds.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:45 AM
Nanook

Here’s a pic of my trickle filter:

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk