Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Video Discussion
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Video Discussion Discuss Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa videos in the gallery.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Razzo
Elite Member

::Profile::
Keeping: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico2 View Post
Maybe it's me, maybe it's that I've been home sick all week, but that gold head was pissing me off!! Beautiful tank but that gh was making me tense!
He was hogging the attention I need to re watch it.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Dieselphil

Keeping: 140 gallon- 7 F1 Mikula, yellow, black, zebra Calvus, 5 synos petricola

I watched the video again to see the gold heads. The bodies on those are pitch black! They look amazing that way. I wonder if the dark rocks and substrate have anything to do with the way they display their colors. Just like your Miks Russ, with the brown sand they show the dark color mode.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Slavi

Keeping: Cyphotilapia gibberosa 'Mikula'

Phil: The background and decoration of an aquarium does definitely influence the colors of a fish. I only use one 10.000 Kelvin Led strip of 90cm which has a maximum output of 13watts at 100%. It is set ons max 80%. In my opinion Gibberosa's are displaying much better with less light but for this gold head it turned out really good as well.

Russ: you are right, only the ones that catch the fish know for sure where they come from. Unfortunately some people only are in for the money. When one has labeled some really nice fish as Muzi (or Kasanga), others will give their fish the same label just to be able to ask a higher price for them. And for us it will get harder and harder to tell the difference between the "real ones" and the ones that are caught elsewhere.

But, I just went to Verduijn again. I am lucky that it is almost in my backyard
At the moment they have Gold Heads from kabwimbwe on stock. Kabwimbwe is located near Kasanga and Muzi but unfortunately I can't find the exact location.
In the video (sorry, iPhone quality) you can see Gold Heads with very different coloration. Some are just Muzi's (or Kasanga's) while others seem to be a different variety. But they just arrived and are supposed to be all from Kabwimbwe.

There is one Gold Head that does not belong in there. That is the brother of my Male Gold Head. Catharina Verduijn is keeping him for me and I hope I can introduce him to my female.

Here is a video that I just shot this evening of the Gold Head Kabwimbwe tank. The brother of my male Gold Head appears at around 40 seconds behind the Mastacembelus frenatus. That frenatus by the way does not belong between the Gold Heads either. It is a young fish but is already testing all fish in the tank on weakness. What a monster!!

Old 03-05-2016, 12:36 AM
Razzo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavi View Post
...There is one Gold Head that does not belong in there. That is the brother of my Male Gold Head. Catharina Verduijn is keeping him for me and I hope I can introduce him to my female.

Here is a video that I just shot this evening of the Gold Head Kabwimbwe tank. The brother of my male Gold Head appears at around 40 seconds behind the Mastacembelus frenatus. That frenatus by the way does not belong between the Gold Heads either. It is a young fish but is already testing all fish in the tank on weakness. What a monster!!

Bjorn, he is magnificent! You are very fortunate to be able to get another specimen like the one you lost. I am very envious. I hope he pair bonds with your female and produces many fry for you
Old 03-05-2016, 12:42 AM
Razzo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavi View Post
...Russ: you are right, only the ones that catch the fish know for sure where they come from. Unfortunately some people only are in for the money. When one has labeled some really nice fish as Muzi (or Kasanga), others will give their fish the same label just to be able to ask a higher price for them. And for us it will get harder and harder to tell the difference between the "real ones" and the ones that are caught elsewhere.
rom ...
Sadly, the days of the collector, who owned his own dive teams, and exporter being the same person ended when Thorsten Reuters sold his company to the Bucklands.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:18 AM
Slavi

Hi all,

It's been a while since i've posted anything. I am more a reader I guess.
To make it up a bit here are some pictures of my aquarium at the moment.

In this tank there are 8 young Gold Heads. All of them are from my former GH couple. They are all born around the 15th of juli 2015, thus around 1,5years old and about 4cm.
Very interesting to see are the large differences between these 8 young fishes. It takes discussions regarding collecting places to a whole other level when even brothers and sisters don't look alike.
I took pictures of some of them;

Nr 1, This one stands out because of it's very orange head;

Nr2, Dark body and yellow head;

Nr3, Smallest of them all, probably a female. In this picture she is quite dark but I noticed that this one looked a lot like my former female;

Nr4, A lighter colored fish that is showing it's stripes much more. Three of them look a lot like this. Perhaps this has something to do with dominancy. And perhaps they will look more like their darker brothers when they get older or grow bigger. But for now they look very different.

And last but not least my WC Alpha has spawned with several (non related) F1 females. One time I was able to catch them in the act;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scWQRTsZM2Q
Old 12-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Forestcat
Site Advisor

Keeping: Cyphotilapia Gibberosa Blue Zaire Kitumba

Looking real good
Just love your set up and the gold heads are awesome your pics almost made me buy some myself
Only a matter of time before the miks will start to breed for you.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Slavi

Thanks Forestcat!
I've seen a few females holding eggs already. Only for a couple of days and then they swallowed them. Breeding is not my initial goal but of course it would be great and very rewarding to see them succesfully raise some fry. But they will have to do it on their own. I will not put a breeding female in another tank.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:49 AM
Slavi

Some more pictures;

Wild caught Gibberosa Mikula Alpha male

A few F1 females, non related to the alpha male. I have 8 of them.

Some of the compressiceps F1

And an overview of the tank;
Old 02-25-2017, 10:34 PM
Nanook

Keeping: Lupota

Beautiful!

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Video Discussion