Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Breeding Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

View Poll Results: how bad is the mooning?
horrible!!! 20 36.36%
ok, but not really good stock 26 47.27%
i think it will color in 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Ron R.
Elite Member

::Profile::
Keeping: WC Mobas (TNT Cichlids)

my Nov juvies have pretty much established their order. I added 4 newbies in the last month and they pretty much go at among themselves. I see the flared gills and extended fins on top several times a day. I let them go at.....a few frayed fins here and there, but nothing serious.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:15 AM
eklikewhoa
Veteran Member

oddly enough the damages are healed!!! fins are perfect again and scale damage is not visible.

i started to point to the syn.eupterus on this one but close inspection of his mouth compared to the damage area it couldnt have been him. im noticing that the alpha has a more defined black&white now.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:55 AM
orthman

I still don't know! This mooning thing is going to be around to haunt us rather we like it or not. I think there is a lot of speculation going on. I think we would all rather not have it, but just have different tolerances and differing ideas of "beautiful". Fun to talk about never the less!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Gabriel1

Sad Just use common sense

Mooning is NOT a good thing. It is an unfavorable genetic mutation. People who have fish with mooning may very well have an enjoyable experience with them as pets. But nobody looks for mooning in their future pets or breeders. Rather they are delt with. Those with mooning hope that it goes away and try to remedy the mutation with certain foods. Please don't breed these fish and if they breed while you enjoy your pets, then simply kull the fry.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:35 PM
mr wobbly

Keeping: Burundi

I think it's relative........
On a 10 front, not so bad, only a pet.
On a 100 Blue Zaire, bought for the purpose of breeding top end fry, it's a big problem.

Simple.........

100g: 1 ghost knife, 1 angel, several cory's & 3 bristle

40g: 1 green puffer

HAPPY DAYS
Old 11-06-2011, 02:59 AM
Mee

Some mooning is extreme where two stripes were almost formed, but still joined. Allot of mooning is simply a bit of missing pigment. I strongly suggest this is due to a lack of certain foods which the fish get in the wild from free swimming to adulthood. I use spirulina from tumbling till I sell my fry, and the mooning is virtually non existent. Before I did this I had about a 15% ratio of mooning on Mpimbwe fry. Whether you believe this or not Spirulina has vitamins, antibiotics and many many many other good things for growing fish, so it's a win win situation. People should be eating it too. Makes ya smarter, faster, and fights viruses, and cancer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mee For This Useful Post:
fast (06-23-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Dman

Keeping: Moba, Kapamba, Burundi

I admit that I voted for "horrible". I have culled my colonies for the trait because I see so many Burundi's in the LFS with the mooning and/or broken stripes. I finally found some from a local breeder that didn't have it. In fact the largest male is turning into a show fish. I would think that we would not like to have the same problems with the Mobas. I realize that it is not easy to get rid of the fish - I just don't think they should be bred.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:01 AM
fishcrazy1
Veteran Member

I'm going to bring back this old post. I have owned fish with mooning many times in the past. I have always been curious as to why it's so prominent in F1 fish but not in f0. In my opinion it has to be linked to diet. In my next batch of mpimbwe fry, I'm going to make an effort to feed extra spirulina. We will see if this works as suggested.
To address the point about fish with mooning being undesirable is up to the owner. I have a F1 male mpimbwe @ 11 inches with mooning. I don't let him spawn, but in my opinion he is a beautiful fish with a great personality. If I could finally do some F1 females for him I would spawn him.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding