Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Breeding Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

View Poll Results: how bad is the mooning?
horrible!!! 20 36.36%
ok, but not really good stock 26 47.27%
i think it will color in 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2006, 02:02 PM
fishguy

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin
I would definately frown upon someone injecting hormones to correct something Its something that would probally not work anyways ..All that the hormones really do is color up their colors much faster before they ship them off to local fish stores .Most times after the customer takes these hormone injected fish home they slowly lose their color anyways
Injection? Ouch! I thought they gave them food(s) high in certain hormones.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Jeroen Holland
Veteran Member

I am still a beginner with my Moba's, but hormons seems to me a very bad idee!!!
I think it is not good to work that way.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:51 PM
sealord1au
VIP Member

Keeping: Moba , Mpimbwe , Burundi , Kigoma

i am with Fin you said you wanted to cull extra males so just make that you 1st one you sell off IMO

just out of interest are they F1 Moba's?
Fry for sale in Queensland Australia PM me for prices
over 1500 gallons and all Frontosa Tanks
Burundi,Kigoma.W/C Moba and Mpimbwe's
Gold Coast Australia
Old 09-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Ron R.
Elite Member

Keeping: WC Mobas (TNT Cichlids)

I don't like to see mooning either, especially in F1 mobas. My 6 juvies born last Nov have really dark, full bars. All my F1 fry from my wc's have good bars.....no mooning.

I acquired 6 new moba juvies about 2 mos ago to add "new blood" to my colony. When I picked them up, their bars were light and frankly I didn't look super close at them.

First I added 2 of them to my general population and put the remaining 4 in a floating nursery with 2 of my home-grown juvies. Here's a side-by-side comparision of 1 of them next to a Nov juvie from my wc parents. You can see the little one has some mooning. I don't think it will go away.

The first 2 I added have the mooning. Last week, I took 2 more out of the floating nursery and these little guys have the mooning as well. I still have the last 2 of the 6 in a floating nursery........so far these look okay.

I am going to grow out all 6 as best as I can and see what happens in the next 4-6 months. If they still have the mooning, I'm going to look for new homes for them. I really want my moba fry to be A-1 quality.........as good as my wc's so having the slightest bit of mooning won't work for me.

Here's my best and latest pic of my Nov juvies together:

And of my latest F1 fry:

If a hobbyist chooses to go the F1 route because they can't find wc's or if wc's are out of their budget, then I believe the F1's they get should be the best quality and at a reasonable price. Many folks I've talked to have the hope and expectation after keeping their fish for 2-3 years they'll get them to spawn.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:43 PM
coldwave909

I have noticed the bars at the very top sometimes seem a lil faded(mooning) on my F1 Kapampas...and then they are gone a minute later...sometimes their bars are completely faded...sometimes they are solid black...perfect bars. I think it's a natural ocurrence same thing as polymorphism..their being able to change coloration at will...depending on what kind of mood they're in.
Armin
Old 09-26-2006, 09:51 PM
eklikewhoa
Veteran Member

I plan to grow these f1's out and breed them. There were three with mooning that I noticed shortly after adding them to the the tank. Two of the smaller ones has slight mooning but have since almost doubled in size and their mooning is almost non-existant. I was hopping this one would darken but he got worse and became the largest most dominant so out he went.

These are from the same batch as the ones RonR. Has added to his colony which is odd cause the parents were just about perfect with beautiful stripes. I think I would have been ok with it but I saw Ron's nov juvi's.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:02 PM
sina

Keeping: Burundi

interesting thread.

just a thought. when my dog lost some black pigmentation on his nose, the vet suggested kelp powder to bring back the black pigmentation & it worked. the kelp was in powder form.
can fronts eat kelp? i think its in some fish foods?...that may be worthy of a try.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:28 PM
coldwave909

Yes Frontosa can safely consume Kelp. I used to feed my Kapampa Ocean Nutritions' "Formula 2", which had a high Kelp content.
Armin
Old 09-27-2006, 05:59 AM
TR6
Veteran Member

you can use kelp, but spirulina is what most food companies use for the dark pigments.
It won't make a fish with mooning look like it never had it, but it will help to fill it in.
I'd not get rid of the fish at this stage simply because it has a very slight case of mooning, but if the next one in line looks better, then let the next one move up.
If one fish catches your eye, for whatever reason, then that is the one you would want to move up.
I think its still to young to get a final idea of what it will look like, but if the next one up shows zero mooning, then he should be good appearance wise.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:58 AM
eklikewhoa
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR6
you can use kelp, but spirulina is what most food companies use for the dark pigments.
It won't make a fish with mooning look like it never had it, but it will help to fill it in.
I'd not get rid of the fish at this stage simply because it has a very slight case of mooning, but if the next one in line looks better, then let the next one move up.
If one fish catches your eye, for whatever reason, then that is the one you would want to move up.
I think its still to young to get a final idea of what it will look like, but if the next one up shows zero mooning, then he should be good appearance wise.

what i was thinking when i started fishing it out. the next in line is perfect so i would want it to move up, i also noticed that the one with mooning had longer bottom fins so i removed it so the next one can start growing and become super beautiful with long trailers.

i just got home from work and noticed that all the smaller ones have become much darker than when the big moba with mooning was in there. maybe a coincidence or maybe due to not so perfect leader?
The Following User Says Thank You to eklikewhoa For This Useful Post:
charliecroker (06-23-2014)

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding