Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:39 AM
jwcollect

::Profile::
Keeping: Moba, Burundi, Misc. Lake Tanganyikan
Default Vitamin Additive

Does anyone use an additive to the food you feed your fish like Seachem Garlic guard? If you do what do you use do and how often?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Forestcat
Site Advisor

Keeping: Cyphotilapia Gibberosa Blue Zaire Kitumba

Never used an additive.
The only thing i have changed is that i now feed several brands of pellets to my fronts.
They all have some different ingredients and i like to think the varation is good for them.
One also contains garlic.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

I've never found it necessary. A high quality pellet should have what they need, if not you may need a better pellet. Years ago I tried garlic additives, didn't see where they did anything short term for already healthy fish. Longer term, whatever benefits from garlic should be provided by a good quality garlic containing food; personally, I'd rather use a food with garlic than a separate garlic additive. As far as variety vs. raising fish on a single quality food, it somewhat depends what you're using, but I've experimented a lot, raised fish both ways, and I haven't seen much difference between using a single really good product or mixing two or more of the products I like. The most I've seen-- at least between the products I like after doing a lot of food testing years ago-- is some species look slightly better, or slightly different, on one product and some on another. For example, severums and some tetras really glow on NLS, my kapampa look equally good on a couple of different foods, whether fed exclusively or in combination. I bred red head geos for a few years, they looked slightly more orange on NLS, slightly more red on Omega One color pellets, otherwise, no discernible difference in growth, health, etc. And a treat of freeze dried bloodworms seemed to encourage them to spawn, either way. (Also seemed to work with rotkeil severums I had, not really a factor with fronts, where something like mysis shrimp might do something similar.) After years of observation and comparison, what I've seen is sometimes what a fish looks best on depends on the species of fish.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition