Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:57 PM
pkut

::Profile::
Default Northfin Fish Food

I'm reporting on my current observation of Northfin fish food. About 18 months ago, no matter what type of fish food I purchased from Northfin, my fish loved it and ate it readily.

The last two bulk packages I purchased from them in mid 2018 were NOT quiet the same for some reason. I contacted my supplier and they asked me to contact Northfin directly. They gave me information to do so.

After trying numerous times, I received ZERO support from Northfin! All I can say is something has changed with their production of their fish foods. My fish have told the story on that! Also, because I have to this day received ZERO support from them as a company, I will NEVER buy any of their fish foods again!
Old 01-07-2019, 02:41 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Interesting. Initially it received good reviews. Then there was an ongoing forum controversy because NF claimed it used no EQ or other preservatives (beyond what they claimed was the natural preservative effects of their formula and process), but samples were tested and found to have significant levels of EQ. Northfin as a company was quiet about it for months while this was discussed on forums, people tried to contact them, etc. Finally, their web site was changed to omit their former verbiage regarding preservatives, without any comment on it I'm aware of. In effect, they got a lot of bad forum press over this and they chose to ignore it.

I didn't start with an opinion on Northfin either way and I was just an observer as all of this was discussed on other forums. Use of EQ itself has been debated by some. It doesn't have to be added by the food maker for it to be in their food, it can come in the raw ingredients (krill, etc.) they use. When it's all said and done it's only logical to wonder whether Northfin didn't know this or test for it, which would make them na´ve or incompetent, or they did know it but marketed their food as preservative free in spite of the facts, which would make them seem dishonest. I don't know the answer to that.

Meanwhile NLS addressed the whole EQ subject publicly (here).

I don't have any special NLS loyalty or Northfin antipathy here, just reporting what I've seen.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:30 AM
punman

I have been using NorthFin continually for the last three years and have ordered numerous times. I have switched over from NLS. Not saying it is better than NLS, but it seems good and is cheaper price than NLS where I live (in Canada).

The stuff I bought in 2018 seems no different when compared to the first two years of use. At least my fish do not react any differently. I like using the Veggie Formula for my tropheus.
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
Old 01-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Nanook

Keeping: Lupota

I’m new to cichlids and wanted to try a variety of high quality foods. I bought several containers of the leading brands and for some reason, my cyphos won’t eat the Northfin, they pick it up and spit it out.

I’d like some varieties of foods besides NLS pellets. Any suggestions for cyphos in the 3-5” range?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:30 PM
punman

I was using NLS when I switched over to NorhFin. It took a week before they would eat it up like the NLS. Just feed sparingly to not at all that first week.
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition