Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa Species, Variants & Collection Points.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:25 AM
scooby1

::Profile::
Keeping: MOBAS
Default WC? Or not

Iíve heard about several different distributors that they no longer are permitted to take frontosas from certain parts of the lake the majority are grown in large vats/ green houses until 3-5 inches. I guess it could explain all the WC being 4 inches all the same size. I bought my mobas from blue chips aquatic back in 2005 and they came in at least 6-9 inches
Old 01-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Cyphosman4

Smile

Scooby1, I believe it's been like that for many years especially in the DRC. Collection was prohibted and dangersous for people to collect. I was told many many years ago that there are tribal head hunters as well which causing a high risk for collectors. But you're correct as to fish grown in vats or green houses and I say fish farms.

Wild is a word I trust 50% of the time now. I mean how do we not know they are purchasing 3-4 inch fish from fish farms in the US or Germany and labeling them WC? What if they are making deals and buying from hobby breeders in the US and labeling as WC? Is fish that is grown in vats and farms in Africa considered WC if imported?

Honestly, we truly don't know and can only trust them at this point as they are the sellers.
Mathew 10:32-33

In process of rebuilding the fish room.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:48 AM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

I agree with the "vat theory" and most of the fish sold these days are much smaller then in the past.
What confuses me is the fact that many of these smaller fish still have lake spots which is generally a sign that they are in fact wild caught. I'd like to see if these vat fish will produce lake spots like true wilds or what the deal is.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:21 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

That's true in some cases, but not always from what I can tell. Fishes of Burundi has been known for years to limit their actual collection from the lake and to breed fish in ponds and tanks for export. Toby Veall (Rift Valley Tropicals) did both vat breeding and wild collecting. Toby built an eco-tourist lodge, then had it for sale a couple of years ago. I see where he has an active web page that says "We're back in business!" and that they provide wild caught African and Tanganyikan cichlids. (Apparently he was out of it for a while.) I've also seen reports in recent years of new fish being found by divers and complaints about some collectors going in restricted zones to collect certain species.

Size of fish exported in recent years is partly a function of higher shipping costs. Economics, not necessarily proof of origin. Things change on the lake over the years. Collectors come and go. Some guys are still be on the lake but doing something else, like African Diving. Last I checked, they're doing photography and conservation instead of collecting. I'll post an interview with Fishes of Burundi from a few years ago, some of you may have seen it before.
fisher (01-03-2019)

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points