Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tankmates
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tankmates Discussion of compatible Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tankmates.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 PM
Nanook

::Profile::
Keeping: Lupota
Default 375 gallon tank Mates?

I'm planning on adding lupota fry from fisher in a few weeks. Looking for ideas on suitable tank mates. Not planning on breeding, and don't want fin nippers.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:27 PM
dannyt

Keeping: 125 gal 9 F1 Kapampa and friends

I have 7 orange lelupi, 2 black calvus, 2 trets and 5 juli regani in with my 9 Kapampa. Apparently trets can get nasty and nip fins but mine are 1.5 & 2" and havent bothered the Kap's, but if they do they will go for sure...def want the Kap's trailers to stay intact...
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
Nanook (12-27-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 11:44 PM
Nanook

I've been reading on suitable tankmates a bit and these are some that may work depending on aquascaping, size, etc:

B. tricoti
L. nkambe
N. leleupi
Comps
Julis
Old 09-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Nanook

The task of creating the optimal conditions for the different fish is what I'm interested in, reading a lot. I do like the idea of making a cypho dominant tank, but having other fish in there to mix it up.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Nanook

Someone told me the nkambe are like torpedoes with fangs, so scratch that!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:13 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

What's your budget like and do you want to stay Tanganyikan? Benthochromis tricoti are a cool fish, Tanganyikan, nice size to them, and a fish I'd like to do someday. An alternative to tricoti would be Cyathopharynx (species are foae and furcifer, very similar). Another interesting fish are Gnathochromis, which are more or less a Tanganyikan geo. These are all fish with a bit of size to them, bigger than the ones you've mentioned so far. Been a while since I've checked to see who has any of these.
Nanook (12-27-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 PM
Nanook

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrinoman View Post
What's your budget like and do you want to stay Tanganyikan? Benthochromis tricoti are a cool fish, Tanganyikan, nice size to them, and a fish I'd like to do someday. An alternative to tricoti would be Cyathopharynx (species are foae and furcifer, very similar). Another interesting fish are Gnathochromis, which are more or less a Tanganyikan geo. These are all fish with a bit of size to them, bigger than the ones you've mentioned so far. Been a while since I've checked to see who has any of these.
I definitely want to stay Tanganyikan, and I want a tank that is at harmony. I really like the tricoti, calvus and comps. I think the gnat is kind of ugly, but maybe it has personality to make up for it The Furcifer are beautiful, but I thought I read they were fin nippers to the Fronts? Iíd like a Tanganyikan community tank to a degree, but mainly want the Fronts as the main attraction. The other fish are to mix it up with activity and color. Budget isnít a big deal really.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:06 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

I've heard of some Ophthalmotilapia species being nippy, not so much Cyathopharynx. Not that it's not possible, but over the years there have been some nice tanks with both of them here. From what I've seen tank size is a factor. Just about anyone I've seen keep fronts and tricot together liked the combination. Fully colored male tricoti can be real beauties. I'm going by what I've seen others do, as opposed to personal experience, furcifer and/or benthos was something I really wanted to do at one point, but took a detour the past few years with new worlds, like geos (still have the kapampa, though).
Nanook (12-27-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 PM
Nanook

Thanks for the feedback, I’m totally new to this and can use any experience I can get. Wondering if furcifers would get along with tricoti? Also wondering about details for aquascaping with Fronts, calvus, tricoti, ?furcifers, and ?
Old 09-27-2017, 07:27 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

I've seen tricoti and furcifer together and fronts and furcifer together. Can't think when I've seen all three, not many people would have a large enough tank imo. I've seen negative comments on the combination based on supposition rather than knowledge, like the proverbial 'different diet', which hardly applies if you're feeding a pellet in the first place. But I've seen people keep fronts and furcifer and say no problems.

The tanks I've seen with furcifer and tricoti were large tanks and looked peaceful to me, no more than the occasional 'get off my lawn' you'd get from any cichlids or in a species tank. Might be different if you crowded them into a smaller tank.
Nanook (12-27-2017)

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tankmates