Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > General Aquaria Forums > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects Discussion of DIY projects.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 AM
front23

::Profile::
Default Making a trough/Pond!

I was recently looking throught my parents storage and found a very large metal water trough that was used for horses/cattle, many years ago... and i got an idea for a pond! i will keep it in my Out-building where it is heated and i have room.
I am getting some koi on thursday That i am going to start out having in there.. but when my fronts get bigger i would like to put them in there and sell the koi.
I have a pump that i used to use for a sump. no sure on what kind? but i am thinking on running the pond n that pump and a couple spongefilters.? with a heater.
IS this enough? also do your reccomnd i put sand in the bottom or just leave it bare...?
Just looking for any advice on how to set this thing up!!

Thanks please help me out!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:14 AM
WatTheConHeo

I think a barrel filter (used in Koi ponds) would be perfect for this kind of setup.

http://enkoi.com/subcat56.html

As much as people dont think its a "good" filteration system. I would like to show them a couple of ponds I have made for clients, with water as clear as their tank. Koi keepers love this setup as it is cheap and very effective. I have 1 running a 800 gallon pond with no problems. If designed right, you can flush the system very easily to remove waste. Remember that Koi and Goldfish are "Mega Waste Producers". So using it for Frontosas, should not be an issue whats so ever. I dont know where you are located but Koi shops carry a thing called Japanese mat. Its a Bio Mat that works like Ceremic rings. The mat is underwater and houses your bacteria. You use one pump to feed water into the bottom of the filter and since it sits higher than your trough. The water will rise up to the top of the barrel draining through a hole you drill towards the top. From there it will fall back into the trough without any help from a pump.

I found a link for a design. There isnt much on the web about it, that I can find regarding a DIY

http://www.blondieswebdesigns.com/wa...ter/index.html

Here is one I was going to make but will go with the Bakki Shower concept instead

You can find most of the material needed through www.Enkoi.com they ship also so that would help you out (if needed).
Old 09-02-2009, 04:09 PM
frontlover

Keeping: Moliro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatTheConHeo View Post
I think a barrel filter (used in Koi ponds) would be perfect for this kind of setup.

http://enkoi.com/subcat56.html

As much as people dont think its a "good" filteration system. I would like to show them a couple of ponds I have made for clients, with water as clear as their tank. Koi keepers love this setup as it is cheap and very effective. I have 1 running a 800 gallon pond with no problems. If designed right, you can flush the system very easily to remove waste. Remember that Koi and Goldfish are "Mega Waste Producers". So using it for Frontosas, should not be an issue whats so ever. I dont know where you are located but Koi shops carry a thing called Japanese mat. Its a Bio Mat that works like Ceremic rings. The mat is underwater and houses your bacteria. You use one pump to feed water into the bottom of the filter and since it sits higher than your trough. The water will rise up to the top of the barrel draining through a hole you drill towards the top. From there it will fall back into the trough without any help from a pump.

I found a link for a design. There isnt much on the web about it, that I can find regarding a DIY

http://www.blondieswebdesigns.com/wa...ter/index.html

Here is one I was going to make but will go with the Bakki Shower concept instead

You can find most of the material needed through www.Enkoi.com they ship also so that would help you out (if needed).
Whattheconheo - Thanks for this post and the links - It looks like a good simple way to filter an outdoor or indoor pond. The cost is not too bad either.

Member of the ACA!!

125 : gallon - F0 Moliro Zaire (3/F 1/M)
180 : gallon - Empty
55 : gallon - Empty
10 : gallon - Empty
Old 09-04-2009, 01:17 AM
front23

Thats ok i ended up just designing my own type of sump filter with a 30 gallon tub,some filter media, and a pump

thanks for the advice thougn lets hope it works!!!
Old 09-24-2017, 07:08 AM
giobelkoicenter

My DIY airlift pump that I build today. I am using this in all of my ponds now.

Last edited by fisher; 03-01-2018 at 12:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to giobelkoicenter For This Useful Post:
Jordan Botha (08-07-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 08:36 AM
giobelkoicenter

Default Mini aquascape empty jar bottle with betta will make you awe

This is my mini aquascape setup empty jar bottle with beautiful halfmoon nave blue betta

Last edited by fisher; 03-01-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Cyphos.com > General Aquaria Forums > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects