Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Talk General Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:17 PM
axs377

::Profile::
Keeping: Moba Gibs
Default Mobas driving me nuts...

So about 4 months ago I got a nice shipment of 12 mobas from Greg. Great looking fish and to be honest they have only improved in color, finnage and size over the last 4 months, but they are terrified of me. When I first got them, they ate out of my hand for the first couple feedings, then slowly became more and more fearful of me. They dart back and forth when someone walks into the room and only settle down and come out once you sit down and stop moving. I also have several fish that like to swallow air bubbles and spit them out. I was feeding multiple times a day at first, but over the last month I've been feeding 1x per day in hopes that their hunger will override fear when I feed the tank. No luck

I added some tank mates in the hope that it would help the fronts be less skittish, but the funny thing is they have almost been "adopted" by the colony and follow the fronts around darting back and forth. I really like the looks of the fronts, but am missing the puppy dog behavior of my old central/south Americans.

Any advice would be appreciated. Here is the setup. 320+ gallon 8'x33"x24", wet dry setup with 40gallon/day auto-drip system (so 40 fresh gallons daily). Water cleanliness is always fantastic. Ph is a tad low 8-8.2ish, and hardness is a tiny bit low. However I have had 2 females hold for a few days each before swallowing the eggs... There are three caves and several large pieces of rock to break up line of site in the tank.

Inhabitants 12 mobas 3males / 9 females (no real alpha male), 5-6 gold head comps, 1 severum, 1 chocolate cichlid, 2 peacocks, 2 geophagus, 1 sydonis catfish. I know its an odd mix but the fronts are the largest fish and they are usually the aggressors. Sometimes the catfish many force its way past a front, but the only aggression is among the fronts and occasionally toward another fish.

Sorry for the long story, but any ideas on making them less skittish and even being able to hand feed them again would be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:31 PM
MikulaJay

Maybe try less lighting? I have had Mpimbwe for quite a few years and they still are skittish of quick movements. However they know when I approach the tank they go nuts for food. I think they are all skittish to a point. They are deep water fish and are used to darker surroundings. I removed all the rocks in their tank because they woldnt constantly cut themselves when darting. It aggravates me they are so skittish, but it's their nature. Maybe F1s who grew up in a tank with people wouldn't be as bad
The Following User Says Thank You to MikulaJay For This Useful Post:
axs377 (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 01:02 PM
axs377

Lighting could be part of the problem, I only have a 4' led strip, which leaves the sides quite dark, but due to windows and a sliding glass door in the room, the tank does always get a good bit of light.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:21 PM
Mastiffman

Keeping: 16 F1 Moba

In my opinion, this will never change. Not to sound negative or anything. But I'm more of a realist. This is just how fronts are. They do better by themselves and in low light rooms and tanks but they will still be skittish. I had my F1's from 3" until the males were 10"+ for about 4 years and they were like this from day one and although they got a little less skittish with age, they would still dart off and hide when people visited. This was very annoying to me. Visitors couldn't even enjoy them and neither could I in the way I wanted.

This is why I sold them and will never go back to Cyphos. No Offense to anyone that has them of course. They are beautiful fish but what's the fun of beautiful fish that you can't interact with without freaking them out with any movement more than slow motion.

If you want a big beautiful fish that are very friendly and interactive. I honestly would suggest Petrochromis. There are a variety of colors and sizes and even some that get 15"... But they are very aggressive but that can be managed easily with the right amount of fish including dither fish, enough space, temps, water circulation and food.

My post is not meant to offend anyone but to show people that there are other alternatives.

Here is a thread that has links to some of the Variants

http://petrochromis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180

Last edited by Mastiffman; 09-28-2015 at 01:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
axs377 (09-30-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 02:20 PM
axs377

Ugh, I really hope that is not the case. These fish are stunning, but having something interactive is important to me too.
JesseD (10-13-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 07:01 PM
kewl_front
Veteran Member

"windows and a sliding glass door" that may be the problem IMO and bad experience. I have a nice 125 setup for my zaires in my living room, where I can enjoy them, but noticed that they were very skittish and when the shadows from the outside hits the tank, they dart! Anyway after a few weeks and losing one fish, I relocated them back to the dungeon. I seen on a few occasions when the shadows shift, they would freak out and I would freak out - don't want them darting and hitting something.

I now have f1 lupotas juvis in there and they are doing fine, at least for now. You may also want to try removing all the hiding places, that may help. Keep us posted.
The Following User Says Thank You to kewl_front For This Useful Post:
axs377 (09-30-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Dman

Keeping: Moba, Kapamba, Burundi

Perhaps you could try a "bare" tank so there is no place to hide. I have my breeding group in a tank w/o any caves etc. to keep the aggression to a minimum and I've noticed that they all have become less skitish. If it works, then you could try adding back the hiding places over time. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dman For This Useful Post:
axs377 (09-30-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 08:25 PM
axs377

Thanks for the advice. They are usually out and swimming about not hiding when viewed from the adjoining room. It is just when someone enters the room they are in, they dart back and forth at the back of the tank...
Old 09-28-2015, 09:57 PM
godspi

Ok this is going to sound odd but i had a frontosa that would hide or try to run so bad he would hit the glass and i had tried alot from lights to aquascapes and what ended up working was i just stuck my hand in the tank for a couple if min just before a feeding and slowly.......like a month or so he would do less and less thrashing till i guess it clicked and now he charges for my hand and even follows me when i clean the tank
The Following User Says Thank You to godspi For This Useful Post:
axs377 (09-30-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Stacyhaney

Keeping: 240 WC Mikula "Nyatzi" 3M, 11F, 125 WC Mikula "Percy" 2M, 4F

Give this a try... I don't know if it'll work for you but I have noticed it with my Mikula. Your Ph is too low. Raise it with Tang buffer to high 8's or even 9. I guarantee they will be more happy and relaxed to explore the tank.
axs377 (09-30-2015)

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk