Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tankmates
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tankmates Discussion of compatible Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tankmates.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:44 AM
ROBERT R

::Profile::
Keeping: MOBA
Default MOBAS WITH PETROCHROMIS?

Can Petrochromis be with Mobas? I have had my Mobas for over 5 years (from Ron R) and still no luck in breeding them.

Getting bored of just Mobas in the tank. Do not want to go back to saltwater...Too much work!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Jeff

Keeping: WC Moba

I'd say no. They are very active and boisterous, have a different diet to Fronts and just not a good mix unless you have a really big tank maybe.
Consider some adult comps or Haplotaxodons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:
ROBERT R (08-20-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 11:09 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

It's one of those things you wouldn't recommend but some people will try. Diet differences are often mentioned as a problem, same as with trophs, but imo that can be managed if you're feeding pellets and not an overly specialized diet.

But... Worst case scenario-- petros go on one of their unpredictable killing sprees, as some of them been known to do. Less disastrous, but still undesirable scenario-- they stress your fronts with their aggressive, high energy, squabbling, first to the food temperament. What some people call success-- they live together ok, but your fronts don't grow out their long fins due to the petros being nippy... similar to some tanks where I've seen people keep trophs and fronts and say they're doing fine.

Not to say it's impossible to keep trophs or petros with fronts, some have done it and a few may have hit on the right combination to have it work out, but it's only fair you know there are potential issues also. Here's a video of tank with both. Notice anything? Huge tank, for one, and clipped off pelvic and anal fins on most of the Kapampa and some nibbled dorsal and caudal fins, especially for fronts of that size. You don't see any nipping in the video, but then again with food dropped in the tank, everyone's intent on feeding, so you're not seeing their business as usual behavior.
ROBERT R (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 PM
ROBERT R

Keeping: MOBA

Thanks Neutrinoman! The video that you have is where I got the idea from. My tank is only 180 GAL.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Someone here did it a while back. Don't remember who. They thought it was working out ok, but my question would be for how long and what did the fins on his fronts look like. Don't mean that as a criticism of whoever it was, but it's just the questions I'd have to ask to convince me it can work... Aside from in a huge tank, I mean. Large enough tank and a lot of things can work that aren't a good idea in most tanks.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tankmates