Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 AM
jonesm12

::Profile::
Keeping: 12 Wild Caught Moba, 16 F1 Mpimbwe, 10 F1 Comps
Default 180 Gallon Disaster!!!

I've finally worked up the courage to tell this story as everything is seeming to work out fine. Some of you may know that I recently ordered 12 wild caught moba just over a week ago. Well, everything was seemingly perfect. My water parameters were where I wanted them to be and on Sunday (june 19th) I found out my fish would be shipping on Monday (June 20th). I was stoked ready to see the fish and excited for them to arrive. This is where the story takes a turn for the worst.

On Monday morning around 8am my wife starts making coffee and says "I think there is something wrong with your fish tank in the basement" I immediately jump up thinking maybe a filter broke or at worst, it backed up water onto the floor. I went downstairs to find an inch of water on my basement floor and my 180 gallon tank half empty. I quickly try to trace the leak and realize it's coming from the seam of the glass tank. It wasn't leaking it was pouring out. Me and my wife scrambled to quickly remove the fish and clean up as much water as possible and completely drain the tank. This took about 2 hours. The tank seam had completely come undone (silicone). No chips or cracks, just the seam, all of my lights had fallen into the tank with the tank brace. It was the worst case scenario. After cleaning my thoughts immediately went to my 12 wild caught moba coming in less than 24 hours. I immediately contacted the shipper and explained my tank had broken and I didn't have a place for the fish. He immediately responded with "they already shipped".

Now the tough part starts. I have to find a new tank of at least 125 gallons and get the water parameters right in less than 24 hours. I called every fish store in my state and found a 220 gallon glass and a 240 gallon acrylic with stand. Both tanks were about 2 hours away. I settled on the acrylic as it came with a stand and I am over large glass tank after this previous catastrophe. Me and a neighbor (whom I owe dearly and can't stop thanking) went to get the tank and stand. It took 12 hours to get the tank picked up, moved into the basement and into its place. My previous tank was 6 feet long. The new tank is much lighter because it is acrylic, but the stand is heavier than expected ~300 lbs. The weight wasn't the problem. Moving anything solid and 8 feet long was the real problem. We ended up pretty much taking my house apart, removing rails, cabinets, stove and refrigerator, storage shelves in the basement, and the old tank out of its place. We finished around 6am.

I filled the tank and ran to petsmart to get an fx6, ph booster, water conditioner, and dropped 3 heaters in the water to get it to ~80 degrees. I tested the water at 9:30 am. Ph 8.4, nitrate 0, ammonia 0, water temperature 79.4 degrees. the fish arrived at 9:54 am and I acclimated them in buckets for about an hour. I dropped the first fish in and she swam around exploring immediately. I put the rest of the fish in one by one. I watched them for about an hour and they seemed to love it.

Everything was instantly worth it! The fish have been swimming and eating for two days now and everything seems to be going great. I still wake up fearing the worst but I'm sure that will subside slowly.

Needless to say, I will never buy another large used glass tank again.

Picture of old tank. I will add photos of the new tank and fish later today.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:03 AM
imprezars

Keeping: Burundi, Kitumba

I'm glad everything worked out!! Can't wait to see pictures of the new tank!!

Ben

Ben
The Following User Says Thank You to imprezars For This Useful Post:
jonesm12 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 11:24 AM
leeac

This is a scenario most fish keepers have nightmares about, but sounds like you caught it early, and glad to hear things turned out well.

One thing you didn't mention, but I'm sure you're on top of, is the tank cycling. Hopefully you have a sponge or other mature media from the old tank to kick start the new tank bacteria. 12 adult fronts will put out a decent bio load in a hurry.

Looking forward to seeing photos of the new tank and group!
The Following User Says Thank You to leeac For This Useful Post:
jonesm12 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Razzo
Elite Member

Keeping: None

Yikes, that is, almost, disastrous! Glad it worked out. I won't do big glass tanks anymore either.

Whenever I start up a new tank, whether I have seeded materials or not, I have got in the habit of using SeaChem Stability to cycle my tanks. Great product that will cycle your tank in about a week and will keep ammonia to non harmful levels while doing this. Used it many times. I keep a liter of it on hand for emergencies.

Glad everything is working out. When it's all said and done, you'll probably be thankful for the experience as it helped you get the 240 acrylic tank
jonesm12 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 10:24 PM
WCMoba

Thats crazy.. but gr8 you got it running and a big hole in pocket

For first few weeks have some good water changes to negate spike in Ammonia/Nitrites. But in case you moved some material or sand/rock from old tank you should have enough bacteria in your new tank.
The Following User Says Thank You to WCMoba For This Useful Post:
jonesm12 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 11:45 PM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

What a bummer! And that's some pretty ironic timing. I'm really glad it worked out for you though.
jonesm12 (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 06:43 AM
jico2
Site Advisor

Keeping: Chumbu,Pims,Kaps,Kits,Tembs,Samazi

Glad it all worked out for you. Hard to picture now but that was some great timing! A day later and you would be running around putting your new fish into any Tupperware bowls you could find. Just my two sense: 80;℉ is a tad hot for fronts. Just my opinion.
240 Gallon 9 WC Tembwe
125 gallon 9 WC Kipilli
125 gallon 12 WC Chumbu
125 gallon 9 WC Mikula

This will be my last tank I promise. Oh who am I kidding?
The Following User Says Thank You to jico2 For This Useful Post:
jonesm12 (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 07:12 AM
Hemp111

Keeping: F1 Lupota and WC Mikula

I know that is an awful feeling!! I had a 120 break in the middle of the night and woke up to a 6' waterfall in my kitchen! Glad you got it worked out and everything is doing well!

It's not a hoby.... It's an addiction!!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:18 AM
jonesm12

Old 06-24-2016, 10:18 AM
jonesm12

These photos definitely need work. The background is blue and it is very hard to get a good picture of their actual color. Looks like I am going to have to keep playing with my camera and lighting for a while. Here are the photos as promised.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment