Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > General Aquaria Forums > African Cichlids
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

African Cichlids Discussion of African Cichlids from Lake Malawi, Tanganyika and Victoria.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 AM
Razzo
Elite Member

::Profile::
Keeping: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesm12 View Post
I contacted the guy and the best he can do is Zaire as well. My real question when I get my wild caught group of Moba, should I remove this guy?

Any takers if so???

Thank you everyone for all of your help!
For the short term, I'd keep him and let him grow his trailers back (increase his value)? I'm assuming your new Moba group will be smalls and or mediums? If that's the case, let this mystery fish be your alpha for a couple years. That will speed up the growth of your young Moba males. Let your young Moba males compete and one day overthrow the mystery fish. In my experience, that helps the breeding program.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:10 AM
jonesm12

Keeping: 12 Wild Caught Moba, 16 F1 Mpimbwe, 10 F1 Comps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzo View Post
For the short term, I'd keep him and let him grow his trailers back (increase his value)? I'm assuming your new Moba group will be smalls and or mediums? If that's the case, let this mystery fish be your alpha for a couple years. That will speed up the growth of your young Moba males. Let your young Moba males compete and one day overthrow the mystery fish. In my experience, that helps the breeding program.
This is an excellent idea and one that I feel much more comfortable with. I don't really want to lose this guy especially since he lost his trailers to another mystery Zaire in my tank!

I should have my group this week or next depending on shipping schedules. Im told they will be at least 4". I don't really want huge ones to start off, I would like them to grow up together, especially since they are coming from two different sources.

Thanks again!
Old 06-16-2016, 07:15 AM
Razzo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesm12 View Post
This is an excellent idea and one that I feel much more comfortable with. I don't really want to lose this guy especially since he lost his trailers to another mystery Zaire in my tank!

I should have my group this week or next depending on shipping schedules. Im told they will be at least 4". I don't really want huge ones to start off, I would like them to grow up together, especially since they are coming from two different sources.

Thanks again!
YW

I thought that might be the case (you like him). There are no rules: he's your pet, enjoy him. The reality of Zaires is that they can be a pain in the duppa to breed and there is a good possibility that you may not be successful; so, to get rid of a pet for something that could be a long shot, eh, I don't see it. Enjoy them and don't wreck the experience by being obsessed with breeding (my motto).

What are ur plans to QT your new group from two sources?

Russ
Old 06-16-2016, 09:05 AM
jonesm12

Keeping: 12 Wild Caught Moba, 16 F1 Mpimbwe, 10 F1 Comps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzo View Post
YW

I thought that might be the case (you like him). There are no rules: he's your pet, enjoy him. The reality of Zaires is that they can be a pain in the duppa to breed and there is a good possibility that you may not be successful; so, to get rid of a pet for something that could be a long shot, eh, I don't see it. Enjoy them and don't wreck the experience by being obsessed with breeding (my motto).

What are ur plans to QT your new group from two sources?

Russ
The plan is almost complete I am just waiting on shipping at this point. I have 12 WC Moba coming in the next couple of days depending on shipping. Some are coming from cichlids and helps and the others are coming from Mobafrontosa.com.

I've been testing my water like crazy the last few weeks. I haven't had a problem with anything yet although my PH (7.2ish) is a little lower than I want at the moment.

The split is 3Male 9Female. I will also keep my current Zaire as you suggested. They will all be 4-6.5" so I don't think breeding will be an option for some time. I am hoping they eventually breed although that is not my main priority. I really love the look of moba and I can't wait to just track the progress of their growth.

I also have 10 F1 comps (10 months) and 16 F1 Mpimbwe (2 months) in another tank to grow out. They are beautiful and growing fast. I would say at least 6 have bad stripes as I got them at a week old. I knew I knew the risk I was taking as you couldn't see their stripes clearly and I didn't have to pay much for them because of that.

Any tips for raising PH?
Old 06-16-2016, 09:52 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

My ph is mid 6s out of the tap (well water). I simply add enough baking soda to get to the mid-upper 7s, which gives me plenty of buffering also. Simple, cheap, effective. Lot of limestone here, so there's already calcium in the water (a component in GH). I add a bit of epsom salt (magnesium) to the front tanks-- Lake Tanganyika is higher in magnesium than the other major rift lakes and I perceived some years ago that my kaps seem to like it, seems to make a subtle difference in color. End result is I have moderate hardness, both ways (GH, KH). Of course, everyone's water is different, so an exact formula of what or how much to add would depend on what you're starting with.

Been doing this as long as I've lived at my present location, 17 years, never any issues.
jonesm12 (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

The pH out of my tap is 7.4. For some reason, as I recall, it took extreme amounts of baking soda to raise my pH to 8.0 (and couldn't get it higher)? Therefore, I use SeaChem's Tanganyika Buffer and easily and quickly bump it up to 8.3/8.4 which is where I used to keep it.

This year, as part of my battle with Brown Algae (thanks to very high silicates out of my tap), I started using RO DI water. So, I have to add back in Lake Salt and still use the buffer (just a lot less than before). I seem to keep my pH at 8.2 since I started using RO DI water.

Cyphos.com > General Aquaria Forums > African Cichlids