Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:44 PM
Zaman

::Profile::
Default WC Kitumba recent eye injury

I bought a group of WC Kitumba and one of them injured their eye 2-3 weeks ago. I've kept pristine water with water changes twice a week and added salt. It has gotten slightly better but still doesn't look good. I've started a Melafix/Pimafix treatment to the whole tank (some had nipped fins) and they're tolerating it really well. They're bouncy and active as ever.

What's weird about the eye is that it's not gray or black like I've seen other blind eyes. It's the normal golden color but it looks like the iris is constant constricted small.

I'm attaching some pics to get y'all's feedback. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Keeping: None

Can't see the pics
Old 03-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Zaman

I fixed the pic links. Please forgive this rookie. I'm new to the forum.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:48 PM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

Most of the time those types of eye ailments that are first caused by an injury from running into something (or similar) are usually some sort of bacterial infection ime. In many cases like this an eye will swell very bad and a case of bacterial "pop eye" will occur as well/instead. (I have a chumbu male in a hospital tank right now with this type of pop eye)
I'm "guessing" that the iris is somehow being constricted by swollen tissue surrounding it making it appear small and constricted? I've only seen an eye like that a couple times and we never really figured out the actual cause in either case.
An antibiotic like kanamycin should help imo but it will probably take awhile to return to normal.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Zaman

Can you recommend a kanamycin cycle with dosage and duration please? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher View Post
Most of the time those types of eye ailments that are first caused by an injury from running into something (or similar) are usually some sort of bacterial infection ime. In many cases like this an eye will swell very bad and a case of bacterial "pop eye" will occur as well/instead. (I have a chumbu male in a hospital tank right now with this type of pop eye)
I'm "guessing" that the iris is somehow being constricted by swollen tissue surrounding it making it appear small and constricted? I've only seen an eye like that a couple times and we never really figured out the actual cause in either case.
An antibiotic like kanamycin should help imo but it will probably take awhile to return to normal.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:20 PM
jico2
Site Advisor

Keeping: Chumbu,Pims,Kaps,Kits,Tembs,Samazi

I would just add some aquarium salt and call it a day. But that's me.
240 Gallon 9 WC Tembwe
125 gallon 9 WC Kipilli
125 gallon 12 WC Chumbu
125 gallon 9 WC Mikula

This will be my last tank I promise. Oh who am I kidding?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:24 PM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

I've always just followed the standard directions on the box (seachem's kanaplex) which are:
one scoop for every 5 gallons (they have a little scoop built into the cap)
Repeat every two days until symptoms disappear with a maximum of 3 doses.
I also add regular aquarium salt.
I've ran an entire cycle with my chumbu male, waited 10 days (also did 50% water changes every 2-3 days) with very little difference to the eye, then did another cycle. The second time it seemed to have helped because the eye is starting to show improvement.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:29 AM
Cyphosman4

Man, I hate to see him/her like this.

Besides the treatment you're doing, how is your filtration? Are you running wet dry, sponges, canister, hang-on's, etc. Depending on the water movement in your tank and clarity it will help the chances of healing the eye. From the pictures below there seem to be a bit of particles floating around but I could be wrong. As you are doing your water changes try to get it as clear as possible and clean your filtration as well. It's always said the clearer the water the healthier it is but sometimes it's not always true.

Keep us updated.
Mathew 10:32-33

In process of rebuilding the fish room.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:57 AM
Zaman

Thanks, man. I'm currently running 2 AquaClear 110's full of Seachem Matrix. I usually don't use carbon but I was running Seachem MatrixCarbon. I took it out to run the Melafix/Pimafix treatment. The water is crystal clear like glass. What you're seeing are bubbles. Melafix and Pimafix cause a lot of bubble formation.

I'm also running two large sponge filters on each side of the tank.

I do water changes twice a week. In the middle of the week I do a 25% change and then on the weekend I do a 50% change.

I've added aquarium salt. I've tried to get the GH and KH as close to Lake Tanganyika as possible. Currently my dGH and dKH are around 14. Water parameters: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate ~20. Tenperature is stable at 82F. PH is stable at 8.4.

Keep in mind that I got him like this. So it's up to me to nurse his eye back. The seller is a stand up and honest guy and didn't want to sell him to me initially but I asked for him specifically. He's an amazing specimen with a radiant purple. I just hope I can nurse his eye back.

Right now he lags at feeding time because the others and quick and sharp and I feel his impaired vision makes him shy to compete with the others. That's the main part that makes me sad. So I'll sometimes net him and bring him close to the top so he has his own netted area and I'll feed him pellets one by one. That's just so his health stays good. Naturally, I can't always do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphosman4 View Post
Man, I hate to see him/her like this.

Besides the treatment you're doing, how is your filtration? Are you running wet dry, sponges, canister, hang-on's, etc. Depending on the water movement in your tank and clarity it will help the chances of healing the eye. From the pictures below there seem to be a bit of particles floating around but I could be wrong. As you are doing your water changes try to get it as clear as possible and clean your filtration as well. It's always said the clearer the water the healthier it is but sometimes it's not always true.

Keep us updated.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition