Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:28 PM
Hapahawg

::Profile::
Default Fronts flashing?

Been noticing from time to time that my Fish will rub their faces on smooth rocks or the substrate. I canít see anything on them. Any ideas what the cause is? Or suggestions or advice? My water parameters are: ammonia is 0, nitrates at 5-10ppm, and pH at 7.6.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:38 PM
dannyt

Keeping: 125 gal 9 F1 Kapampa, 2 black calvus, 7 Lelupi, 5 Juli Regani and 2 tretcephalus

I've watched fish of all types do this glancing and scratching behaviour throughout the 35 years I have kept cichlids. IME 99% of the time it is not too dissimilar to when you or I get an itch and we scratch it. It's not always scabies, fleas or head lice, in fact it rarely is. If your water quality is good it most likely nothing to worry about. Wild fish sometimes come in with parasites etc which need to be treated. Sometimes it's a slime coat issue for which there are products you can buy and use if you think that might be the issue. HTH
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
Hapahawg (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 11:01 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

I started seeing way less of this when I stopped using aquarium salt (sodium chloride) regularly. Now I use very little, usually only as therapy or a cure for something and even then it doesn't take much ime-- unless I was going to treat ich or something. Otherwise, at least in my tanks, it tends to indicate one of the following:

1) a water change would be appreciated, even though water looks good and ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates are good, other organic irritants can be there.
2) filter needs cleaning, again water tests can look good, water can look good, but filters/media may be ready for rinsing...
dannyt (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 11:09 PM
dannyt

Keeping: 125 gal 9 F1 Kapampa, 2 black calvus, 7 Lelupi, 5 Juli Regani and 2 tretcephalus

I don't use any additives in my water at all anymore as I have hard well water...i do do regular sump maintenance as well but my Cypho's still glance here and there. I just chalked it up to an itch like we humans occassionally get...NM has got me thinking about my source water now though...i guess being well water in a farming area I could have other irritants present in the water table though I have never had sores, ich or white spot for as long as I can remember...mmm

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition