Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:16 PM
jico2
Site Advisor

::Profile::
Keeping: Chumbu,Pims,Kaps,Kits,Tembs,Samazi
Default Fish room musical chairs, help me please

I've recently got an 8' -240 gallon tank. I'm currently building a stand for it. Yesterday I got an fx5 and a eheim pro 3 model 2080. I actually got both for $175. Than I got carribsea sand yesterday as well. So it's all coming together. Here's where I need help. I hope I can draw a good picture. On the wall where it's going are three tanks. Now I'll label the tanks.
125 mpimbwe tank is tank A
135 samazi tank is tank B
29 gallon biocube is tank C
125 gallon tembwe tank is tank D
New 8' 240 gallon tank is tank E

Tanks a,b, and C go from wall to wall on their wall. All tanks are 18" deep. And along my sofa. Starting with C along side of my sofa than tank B, than A. So my plans are to remove tank C. I can find somewhere to put that later. Remove tank B and sell it. Slide tank A to where tank b and c are and put tank E where tank A is. There with be a 6" jog in the front of the faces of those tanks but my sofa is sandwiched between tanks as it is. Lol so if anyone is done making their drawings and still following me, here's where the fun begins. I'm taking the fish out of tank D ( 9 big fronts) putting them into my 60 gallon fish only trash can. Moving the fish from tank A and plopping them directly into tank D( I'm not worried about acclimating them. Taking the fish from tank b and putting them into another 60 gallon trash can.(8 samazi) than I can slide tank a to where b and c are. I'm planning on removing the substrate from tank A , it has chunks that are bigger than I like. Than I'm gonna put tank B's sand into tank A. At this point I can add the fish from the second trashcan into tank A. Now I can finally slide tank E into place, add new sand and put the last trash can full of fish into their new home. Here's my problem, WATER! my hot water tank will never be able to keep up. I'm thinking as I move tank A, I drain the water into tank b sitting temporary in the middle of the room. Than when I put those fish in their new tank they will have to adjust to another tanks water. But that still leaves me with a 240 gallon tank with 100% new water but I'm sure my hot water tank will only be able to half fill it with proper temp water. I know this has been a lot of info but if anyone is still following I'm Open for suggestions. Sometimes I'm too close to the problem to see the obvious solution. I've already concluded that I'll have to send the wife out for that day.
240 Gallon 9 WC Tembwe
125 gallon 9 WC Kipilli
125 gallon 12 WC Chumbu
125 gallon 9 WC Mikula

This will be my last tank I promise. Oh who am I kidding?
Old 01-18-2016, 12:10 AM
Shane L

Pretty sure I had an algebra question like this in 8th grade;) It's been a long day so got lost in the details... But seems to me that if while moving a few 6 ft tanks you save 50% of the water you are draining from these tanks in the 60 gallon trash bins, you should have enough water to fill the 240 halfway(might need to buy a third trash bin for the occasion?). Also if you fill up your trash bins a couple days ahead with tap water, then you won't have to use as much on tank moving day and won't run out of warm water when you're filling the 240. Maybe that helps 😀? Good luck!
Old 01-18-2016, 04:56 AM
STEAKBELLY

Keeping: WC Mikula, WC White Chatika Calv., gold occies, Nanna Anomalas, Brevis, WC Blk, Calv.

LOL! I think your only question is....

WILL I HAVE ENOUGH HOT WATER TO FILL A 240?

Between the trash can full of already tank ready water and your tap you should be fine. I think your forgetting (maybe) that you aren't filling the 240 with hot water. Your HWH will also be making new hot water as you are using it and the "72-75 degree water" you will be using will more than likely not even run out. As a backup, you can fill a pail with water the night before the swap and just hang a heater in it overnight.
OR.....LOL....Just fill the tank the night before, use whatever hot water you have and just simply keep a couple heaters in the tank....

Hope that helps
Old 01-18-2016, 09:13 AM
jico2
Site Advisor

When I do my water changes I do only two tanks at a time( this time of year because the ground water is so cold. Yesterday I did 50% on a 125 and less than 40% on a 210, and I was out of hot water. When it's warmer weather I can usually do 3 big wcs before running out.
240 Gallon 9 WC Tembwe
125 gallon 9 WC Kipilli
125 gallon 12 WC Chumbu
125 gallon 9 WC Mikula

Old 01-18-2016, 04:28 PM
Handyjoe

Keeping: Moba & Few other Tangs

If hot water is an issue, can you use a turkey fryer to boiled hot water, mix it with cold water before filling your tank? I suppose you can mix one pot (5 gal.?) of hot water to lots of cold water to get it to around 75 degrees? The turkey fryer can boiled your water real fast. That combines with you HWH should help. Just a thought.
Joe.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:22 PM
stefan88

Jim I ran into the same problem. To mu luck my hot water heater went and I installed a bigger more economical hot water heater and my water change issues are gone.. Either install a new heater or you can simply get a few more trash cans and let the water sit and get to room temp.. You can also place a air stone in there, which will circulate the chlorine out.. You will still have to treat for chloromine but at least the water will be closer to the right temp
1 male 9 female 180 gal
1 male 9 female 180 gal

It will not end here!!
Old 01-18-2016, 08:02 PM
jico2
Site Advisor

Yea, an tankless hot water heater would be a dream. I was considering making a tank divider and had the pims to the tembwe tank with a divider in the tank. Or my other appears to be more trash cans.
On a related note. I remember hearing that acrylic tanks hold heat differently than glass. Is it better or worse?
240 Gallon 9 WC Tembwe
125 gallon 9 WC Kipilli
125 gallon 12 WC Chumbu
125 gallon 9 WC Mikula

Old 01-18-2016, 08:13 PM
Handyjoe

Keeping: Moba & Few other Tangs

I remeber that Russ has mentioned about acrylic tank is better holding temperature. Being lower density than glass, so I think it is possible.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment