Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:47 AM
jafrica

::Profile::
Default Feeding my zaires with mealworms?

Feeding my zaires with conditioned meal worms? Is it advisable?

I will feed the meal worms with fruits and crushed spirulina pellets to make sure that they are nutritionally loaded then I will them to my fronts once a week as treat..

What do you guys think?

Mealworms look this these:
http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2...orm-CC-01-.jpg
Old 05-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Heather
VIP Member

Keeping: Kitumba, Kipili, Kigoma

I don't think there's any real harm as long as they're clean and raised in clean conditions... but its not really needed.

Video Gallery: Burundi | Kapampa | Kitumba | Mpimbwe | Moba | Samazi
Photo Gallery: Frontosa | Gibberosa | Cyphotilapia Aquariums
Old 05-23-2010, 07:50 PM
kaeNo

Keeping: WC Kala Blue

they look like maggots i don't have any in put on this never tried it .
Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 PM
FADE2BLACK

Keeping: Moba

Those look yummy!..lol I feed meal worms to my lizards but not much on feeding them to my fishes though. I like to feed earthworms to my fishes but more of a treat. They love the earthworms. Btw, mealworms are high in fat. Maybe good with fishes recovering from a sickness.

Chris,
Old 05-23-2010, 10:33 PM
jafrica

alright guys thanks for the inputs! I do give my fronts fresh market shrimps as treats and they literally love it..

The reason why I though of this is because I have big spirulina pellets from UK that I give to my Kois before I shifted to Fronts.. Now the pellets are too big and hard for my fronts..

Sooo what I want to do is too feed the mealworms with the spirulina pellets and load them the nutrition then give them to my fronts as treat.. hehe
Old 05-23-2010, 11:04 PM
kewl_front
Veteran Member

Unless you just have a bunch laying around, I don't think it's necessary. As for the pellets, what size are they? Why do you think the pellets are too big? What size are your Zaires? You could also soak them to make them softer but I don't think they are any harder than my NLS.

I don't like to introduce any live fish, worms, etc... into my tank because there is always a risk.

Kewl_front
Old 05-23-2010, 11:36 PM
kaeNo

Keeping: WC Kala Blue

i feed ghost shrimp once in a while , but their so fast gotta wound them so they can get caught & not stick to my fish tank lids
Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

I don't normally feed live foods, but have used mealworms on a couple of occasions to get certain fish eating that were refusing food. One of those times was maybe 7 or 8 years ago with a Kigoma I had, only time I've fed them to any fronts. I'm typically leary of live foods, but meal worms haven't caused me any problems, so far, when I've used them.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:33 AM
ups2525

Idea duplicate...

Sorry...somehow ended up with a duplicate.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:33 AM
ups2525

Idea mealworms?? NO. superworms?? YES.

I breed bearded dragons and do NOT feed mealworms (T. molitor) I instead feed superworms (Zophobas morio)...mealworms have thick exoskeletons and thin "bodies" underneath so they have a lot of indigestible chitin and hardened proteins and not too much usable food value. Superworms have much thinner exoskeletons, much more gutload potential and more muscular bodies so they have more meat and less impaction risk (for lizards).

Some mealworms are also treated with steroids and other hormones to make them grow larger, and these substances can build up in the bodies of whatever consumes it and cause problems. Those mealworms are often sold under the name "giant" or "super mealworms".

I raise my own superworms and regularly feed early staged (small) superworms to my w/c 14" pair of Crenicichla sp. 'Atabapo I' as well to my large group of w/c Geophagus dicrozoster. I do believe that they easily took to the superworms due to their South American collection points.

IMO superworms have the potential to be ok for Cyphos although I have never considered it...on the other hand mealworms have the potential to very adverse to anything that consumes it...this I am sure of. This is something that I have done extensive research on and as a result I feel comfortable commenting on...in the same breath I must say I DO NOT WISH TO OFFEND, BOTHER, IRRITATE, OR UPSET ANYONE WITH MY 2 CENTS. I have simply offered my opinion and if anything I hope it helps. I have an excellent superworm gut load recipe for feeding dragons...you should be able to apply the same concept to feeding your fish as well.

Thx for the thought invoking thread...and pls keep us updated.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition