Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Nanook

::Profile::
Keeping: Lupota
Default Python users...

How do you use the python? Do you just remove water, then add Prime, then add back water? How about temperature adjustment in winter months when water gets really cold?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:05 PM
jwcollect

Keeping: Moba, Burundi, Misc. Lake Tanganyikan

I use the python to vacuum sand and remove water. I have cold well water so I fill a storage tank, heat it up, wait a day, then pump it into my tanks. If the water is good out of your tap just mix it until you get the right temp, twist the valve on the Python and put the water right back into the tank.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:45 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

I have well water also, but I fill and adjust temperature right from the tap. Use a more basic aquarium siphon to remove water, extended with another tube, running it out nearby windows, then fill tanks with the python. No chlorine, so I don't need Prime, but I do add baking soda to raise pH from @ 6.5 or so from the tap to the mid 7s. Been doing it so long I just add some as tanks are filling, straight powder from the box, do a pH test when tank is full or nearly full, then add a bit for a last adjustment if needed. Not always needed; as I say, been doing it so long I often get it right before testing at the end. This is for fairly substantial water changes, typically 50-70%, fish are fine with all of it. Lastly I add a bit of Epsom salt for the magnesium. Found years ago mine seem to like it, as exhibited by color, which makes sense, Lake Tanganyika being higher in magnesium than the other large rift lakes. Of course, whatever you'd add would depend on what's in your water to begin with, so this would vary.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:00 PM
jico2
Site Advisor

Keeping: Chumbu,Pims,Kaps,Kits,Tembs,Samazi

I have a 1" hose that I drain my tanks with, I than slowly refill each tank adjusting the temperature at the faucet. Thankfully we have a tankless hot water heater and an endless supply of hot water. Whole process takes 3 hours to do 50% water changes on 6-6' tanks and 1-8' tank. Anyone looking for me on a Saturday morning..........
240 Gallon 9 WC Tembwe
125 gallon 9 WC Kipilli
125 gallon 12 WC Chumbu
125 gallon 9 WC Mikula

This will be my last tank I promise. Oh who am I kidding?

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition