Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:33 AM
dean9922

::Profile::
Keeping: Mpimbwe
Default Crushed Coral Question

just looking for confirmation regarding the use of coral to maintain PH
is that "ALL" it does or is there other benefits????and if My water out of tap is 7.4. Should I just leave well enough alone?????
Old 10-30-2014, 01:46 AM
Handyjoe

Keeping: Moba & Few other Tangs

I use both coarse and fine crushed coral as substrates to maintain PH in my Malawi tanks. I like the sandy look of the fine crushed coral. In fact, I just purchased another 120 lbs of "Pure White Aragonite Sand" from Chrystal Reef at eBay for a new tank set up. Cheapest I could find at $0.89 per pound. I currently have a couple of F1 Moba and some large Malawi cichlids in my pond. No substrate at all, and the temperature diped to around mid 50s at night, and yet they all seems to be very happy in it. Of cause I need to get them into warmer water soon. Like yours, the PH out of the faucet is around 7.X in San Diego, CA. So IMO, I think my point is that all cichlids seem to be able to adapt to a wider range of PH, as long as we don't shock them with either PH or Temperature change. You can just use sand, or any other substrate and you'll be fine. Hope this help. Joe.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Razzo
Elite Member

Keeping: None

Dean, I am not the expert on discussions involving water chemistry. With that, here's my two cents: coral based substrates are great for Cichlid tanks - period. It is my understanding that the minerals they leach into your tank help with hardness and buffer pH. Again, great for African cichlids.

Your pH out of the tap is low like mine 7.4. I prefer to buffer up to 8.3 using SeaChem Tanganyika Buffer (not a fan of the baking soda route). If you do go this route, let me know, I have some bulk sources that are cheaper. More to stay, call me sometime if you have any questions.

Russ
Old 10-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Jeff

Keeping: WC Moba

Saw this on FB and responded there, but I think its a common misconception that coral sand raises the ph. It is made of calcium carbonate mainly which is insoluble in water; however, as it is a base, it will dissolve in acidic water just enough to neutralise it so by having coral in your tank, your pH can never dip below 7 (which is unlikely anyway unless your tap water is that acidic or you never change your water.) In other words, it acts as a buffer. Other than that, I don't think it makes a lot of difference but it looks nice!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:14 AM
dean9922

thanks guys!!!!! Appreciate the responses. So if I understand this correctly, it maintains the ph and adds perhaps needed minerals etc. I plan on using it in the filter itself as I have pure black substrate and don't want to mix it with that.
Has your ph ever changed Russ in any way using the Seachem Buffer, or does it stay constant?????
thanks again
Old 10-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Keeping: None

Dean, my water is off the chart hard. Once I bump up my pH, my hard water keeps it right where I put it.

Let me know if you would be interested in going in halves on a 20 kg container of SeaChem Tang buffer. That is by far, the best value.

If you want to test it first, try the 250 gram size. You can get that at most LFS.

Good stuff, does the job efficiently. You Mikula juvies will probably like 8.3 better than 7.4

Russ
Old 10-31-2014, 10:56 AM
dean9922

thx Russ...will look into it some more!!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:52 AM
Jeff

Keeping: WC Moba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzo View Post
Let me know if you would be interested in going in halves on a 20 kg container of SeaChem Tang buffer. That is by far, the best value.
Over here I can't get in anything more than a 250g size for a whopping 10.99 so I haven't bothered. I am looking to order 2 kg tubs from a US source (drfostersandsmith - $14.99 per kg so a lot cheaper). Could you post a link to where you buy 20kg tubs Russ? Even 4kg would be good.
Don't worry, just found it on Amazon and have ordered 4kg - a lot cheaper than here even with postage! Just hope I don't get stung on import tax.

Last edited by Jeff; 10-31-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:14 PM
dean9922

nice Jeff....thanks again for the help folks!!!!

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition