Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

::Profile::
Keeping: None
Default Plumbing Question

Hey guys,

When I put my 240-gallon tank back in service this month, I'd like to add my FX5 to this tank. It's an acrylic tank with cutouts on the far left and far right big enough for an AquaClear 110. In the past, I have used to AC110's (one on either end) and some HydroSponges to help make up some of my shortage on turnover.

I'd like to add my FX5 in the center. I am thinking that I need to cut two holes in the top of the tank near the back (maybe an inch or two from the back of the tank and three to four foot apart... from center) for my suction/supply and return lines. I am wondering how to stabilize these lines in the tank. Fluval's rim connector does a great job of this on glass tanks where you have access to a rim. I am contemplating cutting these holes with a hole saw (on low rpm for the acrylic) and tucking some sort of PVC/ABS sleeve down in the holes. I envision these "sleeves" being anywhere from six to 12" long. Once again, the purpose of these sleeves is to stabilize the FX5 lines inside the tank.

I also have a couple extra bulkheads leftover that the FX5 Flex tubing fits, perfectly, into. Maybe, I could drill to fit the bulkheads, have the flange part of the bulkhead come out the top of the tank and have the threaded part go down into the tank. I could use the bulkhead nut, thread it from the bottom to secure it firmly to the tank. That would leave about an inch of extra thread that, maybe, I could couple and extend with some PVC/ABS??? I'm thinking that I would like the flex tubing to go down into the tank by, at least, eight inches.

Now, the tank has three large cutouts in the top. The edge of the center opening is 7.5" from the back of the tank. Not sure if there is a creative option using these openings???

You can kind see the three openings in the top from this recent pic.

What do you think? Got any ideas?

BTW: what in the world do people with acrylic tanks use to cover these three big openings in the tops of their tanks?

Thanks,
Russ
Old 03-12-2016, 08:28 PM
razorworm

what about getting some acrylic and fashioning something similar to the rim on a glass tank. like a block. Something that the "clamping pieces" on the FX5 can grab onto.Then use some solvent to weld it to the top. The sleeves may work but will probably wiggle
Old 03-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorworm View Post
what about getting some acrylic and fashioning something similar to the rim on a glass tank. like a block. Something that the "clamping pieces" on the FX5 can grab onto.Then use some solvent to weld it to the top. The sleeves may work but will probably wiggle
That's a good idea rw! That's creative, I like it.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:46 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

How do you cut a hole in an acrylic tank?

If I go through the top with the bulkhead idea, do you use those hole saws? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Russ
Old 03-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Hemp111

Keeping: F1 Lupota and WC Mikula

I've always seen people use holesaws on them. Why can't you use the bulkheads and pipe it threw the back wall like on a glass tank? If you use the threaded bulkheads you can use anything you want in the tank including the modular pipe type stuff. As far as the tops we have always used flat pieces of plexi with a for lack of a better term flange welded inside all the way around the edge. It does two things, keeps it from bowing up with time and also keeps it from sliding off and exposing the holes.

It's not a hoby.... It's an addiction!!
Old 03-20-2016, 09:37 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemp111 View Post
I've always seen people use holesaws on them. Why can't you use the bulkheads and pipe it threw the back wall like on a glass tank? If you use the threaded bulkheads you can use anything you want in the tank including the modular pipe type stuff. As far as the tops we have always used flat pieces of plexi with a for lack of a better term flange welded inside all the way around the edge. It does two things, keeps it from bowing up with time and also keeps it from sliding off and exposing the holes.
I was wondering about that: so, could I drill through the back, put in bulkheads and connect my FX5 that way?

I am probably not going to be creating an overflow box and buying/building a sump anytime soon. In the short term, I'd like to get the FX5 running on the 240.

Thanks!!!

Russ
Old 03-20-2016, 09:42 PM
Hemp111

Keeping: F1 Lupota and WC Mikula

That's the way I'd do it. Not sure what type of hose is on the FX5 but you should be able to put a barbed fitting on the outside and hose clamp it on there.

It's not a hoby.... It's an addiction!!
Old 04-17-2016, 09:14 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Duplicate post to the Bulkhead question thread - just closing this post with what I did....

I did it

Hope it doesn't leak

My sand gets delivered on Tuesday. I've started making 240-gallons of RO-DI water. Can't wait to hook the FX5 up to this plumbing

Old 04-18-2016, 01:05 AM
Rcon021

Keeping: Addicted

Looks mint Razzo
The Following User Says Thank You to Rcon021 For This Useful Post:
Razzo (04-18-2016)

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment