Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:28 PM
bowes884

::Profile::
Keeping: Looking for any zaire blue variant.
Default Question about cleaning canister filters/ enough filtration?

Hey all. I have a 150 gallon tank with 2 JBJ reaction EFU-45 canister filters (Roughly 2.5 years old). I've been noticing a good amount of particles suspended in the water the past month and there is a good amount of debris on the rocks and a little bit of waste buildup in the sand. My water parameters check out fine and I do weekly water changes of 50%.

I guess my questions are:

1. Do I have enough filtration?
2. How often do people clean their canister filters?
3. Does anyone recommend a filter media type that removes waste particles better than others? I have the coarse black sponge, the finer white/blue filter material and ceramic rings in each of the filters.

Thanks for you assistance.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Potatohead

Those filters are rated at 290 gph each, so 580 total. Actual flow with media is probably about 450 which is cycling your tank three times an hour, which is not tons of filtration but it's not bad either. If your water parameters are fine, your filtration is fine. You may want to add a filter that does a better job of mechanical filtration like an Aquaclear that hangs off the back of the tank or something like that. Most canisters are awesome at biological filtration but not the best at mechanical filtration. I have three canisters on a 210 and also get a bit of floaties from time to time. I wanted to do two cans and a HOB but the tank ended up too close to the wall and a HOB didn't fit

I clean each filter (Eheim 2075's) about every three to four months. I don't have a huge bio load. I rotate cleaning so I do one filter every 7 - 8 weeks I guess.

Filter floss works well but if you use something in a canister that is great at mechanical filtration you will have to empty it out often or flow will go way down. That's why a HOB is nice it is fast and easy to clean.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:03 PM
bowes884

Just bought a aquaclear 110 for my tank. It wont fit on the back but will fit on the side of the tank, hopefully that will help with water clarity.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 PM
jico2
Site Advisor

Keeping: Chumbu,Pims,Kaps,Kits,Tembs,Samazi

A lot of people don't like canisters because if not properly maintained they become trash cans. I'm sometimes guilty of cleaning one of my xp3s after I notice it's output reduced.
240 Gallon 9 WC Tembwe
125 gallon 9 WC Kipilli
125 gallon 12 WC Chumbu
125 gallon 9 WC Mikula

This will be my last tank I promise. Oh who am I kidding?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Potatohead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowes884 View Post
Just bought a aquaclear 110 for my tank. It wont fit on the back but will fit on the side of the tank, hopefully that will help with water clarity.
The same thing has crossed my mind, I may do that one day when I get around to it. I think you will notice a difference with it on there for sure.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:41 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

If it's been good before and just recently an issue, may be one or both of: fish have grown and producing more waste and/or filters need attention.

Interval for rinsing out canisters varies, could be once a month, could be once every six months. Just depends on your particular setup, feeding, etc. In my own tanks it changes even for the same tank/filter setup, just depending on what fish I've got in them at the time. I just adjust accordingly.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:51 AM
bowes884

The tank has only been setup for 3 months. Since then I've slowly introduced more fish and the waste buildup has been growing as a result. Ive cut feeding back to every other day. Hopefully the aquaclear 110 will help do the trick, I may add a powerhead for some water movement to reduce the amount of particles that settle on the bottom.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:02 PM
tbos42

Keeping: Kigoma Male
Default Never too much....

I had 2 Fluv 406's on my 150g....one of the 406's died, so I replaced it with an FX6. Water changes easier, clarity awesome...
Old 07-16-2014, 04:09 PM
dexternights

Keeping: Moba,Kapampa

Add a circulation pump near the surface pointing to the other end of tank, the water movement should be just enough lift up dirt and take it near the filters, and as you are using near the surface it will not be too much flow near the bottom and will do the job in lifting all the hidden debris.

Single aqueon 950 is doing a good job in my 180. If I had Mbuna/Peacocks, I would have 2 pumps.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:09 PM
RedMoon424

Keeping: Will be getting a group of Mpimbwe's soon

Hello Bowes884,
I currently have a 180 gallon mbuna tank (about to start keeping mpimbwe's in it and trade out the mbuna's). I currently run 2 Aquatop CF500UV Canister Filters. They are AWESOME! I alternate cleaning them by 30 days to allow cross-leveling of the biologicals, and this has worked great for me. I usually get about 3 months or so between changes.
I did notice that even with this over-filtration, there was still a good amount of detritis settling to the bottom on my sand substrate... so a while back I did exactly what dexternights suggested in the post above, I added 2 1600gph wavemaker circ pumps w/magnetic mounts (Great for the price and quality) and placed them in the upper outside corners of my tank, pointed down and center. These are a little overpowered for my tank, so I only have them on for 2 hour/day on timers to act as a (cleaning cycle). This does a GREAT job of stirring up the top layer of sand and lifting the detritis to my overflows and into the canister filters.
literally all I have to do for cleanup is scrape the glass every once and a while, and stir up the sand with a stick to break up any algae that might form on the surface (looking into a scrubber, or adding plants to reduce what minimal algae I do get).

IMO the cleaning cycle is great because it cleans the tank efficiently, but gives the fish the calmer waterflow for the majority of the time. Again, I want to iterate that this is how I have it currently for keeping mbuna's, but dont see any issue with leaving the same setup once I switch over to mpimbwe's.

Deep Sand Bed and about 100lbs of coral base rock
Fishies:
Looking for about 14 Mpimbwe, or Mobe fry
5 Red-Tail Botia Loaches
2 Common Pleco's

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment