Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:54 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I’ve cut back on feeding a lot too as I was grossly over feeding.

I have a 96*30*30 aquarium. My Seaswirls are 3/4” and rotate left and right at the surface creating top water turbulence, my Fluval is also aimed at the top of the water level. My tank is reef read, so the water drops a few inches in the overflow. I have 25 gallons of bioballs creating significant oxygenated water, but I wonder if an air stone in the sump would be beneficial?
Yes, you don't need or want to overfeed. In aquaculture science they've studied this and it doesn't equate to more growth, only more waste. In fact, it can slow growth. Too much protein also slows growth and increases nitrogen waste, they've done studies on all of this. In both respects there's an optimal range and more isn't better. A good gauge is body profile. Excepting fry to a degree, with most of these fish you don't want to see a rounded body profile or bulging stomach.

I don't agree on the frozen food thing. We've had threads on the relative value of frozen foods in the past. Regarding frozen vs. pellets, or fillers in pellets, it's a matter of ingredients-- good pellets will be low in fillers or binders and you'd be hard pressed to come close to the overall inclusion of nutrients, vitamins and micro-nutrients, anti-oxidants and carotenoids, garlic inclusion of some products, or cost or storage advantages by feeding exclusively frozen foods.

My original kapampa are over 12 years old (maybe 13, don't remember at the moment if I got them in 05 or 06), I've got a little queen arabesque pleco that's at least 15, I've had severums live 14 years... etc. I rarely get sick fish, all on pellets, and sometimes freeze dried foods, like mysis (I prefer freeze dried to frozen, ditched frozen foods years ago). I've seen years and years of food debates. We had a guy here years ago with strong food opinions who was going to prove his point with a growth log, with regular posts every few weeks. The thread quietly went away after he didn't get the results he expected nearing a year. We might agree to disagree on frozen vs pellets or we might say each has its place or advantages or that there's more than one way to do it. In any case, you're not hurting your fish by feeding a well chosen pellet with good ingredients. They can do quite well.

...Re: the airstone in the sump question, sounds like you've got oxygenation covered, but ime you can tell by observing your fish. As I say, fronts have fairly slow, relaxed breathing at rest. Of course this changes with more activity, especially if they're chasing each other around, etc.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:41 AM
Nanook

Keeping: Lupota

Just an update. Doing water changes ever week to 10 days, haven’t lost any more fish Cut back on frozen food significantly and cut back on pellets too.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:51 PM
jwcollect

Keeping: Moba, Burundi, Misc. Lake Tanganyikan

Great, that's good news.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition