Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa Species, Variants & Collection Points.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:28 PM
rodsue

::Profile::
Keeping: 7 F1 Mikula, 6 WC Mpimbwe, 6 F1 Moba

Very interesting topic. Lots of good reads above. I was already pretty sure there were no scientific studies on the so called lakes spots after my 3 hours of looking for just one, with no results of any. I will say this one more time about mine. I did read some studies that had pictures of fish from the lakes that pretty much looked like the ones seen on mine and others. I know there is a parasite called Black spot, which is found in the African lakes. It supposedly gets spread from water birds that eat fish and then drop them back in the lakes once digested. I do know for a fact when I treated the one mpimbwe of mine who had them, for 4 days The spots disappeared. It also said the parasites were not really harmful to the fish unless they became over infested in a tank and on the fish. So here I am wondering exactly what lake spots are and why mine went away after treatment. Just things that make you go HUH I guess. Thanks for the response's and again good reads above.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Keeping: None

Good read. Interesting.

Not sure I have much of an opinion on possible causes. Just an observation, the vast majority of these spots are on wild fish (which we already know).

Not sure I am comfortable with the parasite theory. One of my boys has had lake spots. Not sure they have changed in a few years. If they were parasitic, would I see this spread on the fish in question or even others in the tank?

I like NM's theory about the scale eating fish.

In closing, I will say that I like them.

Russ
Old 04-14-2014, 07:25 PM
rodsue

Agreed, hard to figure out for sure. And the thing I find with searching and reading several site's, even studies,
is each one usually contradicts what the last one you read said...lol At this point I'd just like to know who came up with "Lake Spots" that alone might answer several questions itself. But interesting never the less.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Keeping: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsue View Post
Agreed, hard to figure out for sure. And the thing I find with searching and reading several site's, even studies,
is each one usually contradicts what the last one you read said...lol At this point I'd just like to know who came up with "Lake Spots" that alone might answer several questions itself. But interesting never the less.
The marketing department
Old 04-14-2014, 07:49 PM
rodsue

hahaha, to funny.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:19 PM
bitterman

Keeping: Mpimbwe Gibberosa

One of our friends is from Africa and used to fish/catch and eat Frontosa and Gibberosa. If I talk to him in the future I will ask if any the fish he caught had the black spots.

Fist time I showed him my fish... He thought I was growing them to eat.

Bruce
Old 05-10-2014, 04:39 PM
throw_this_away

Just to update this topic... I Asked Spencer Jack what his opinion on this topic was. He imports a lot of Fronts into Canada and the US. Anyway, FWIW, he said they were due to nitrogen burns in the initial transportation phases from the lake. He also said he has resolved it but removing the affected scales from a front/Gib with a toothbrush. The scales apparently grow back normal, you just need to watch for infection.

I suspect lake spots are a benign proliferation of dark melanoocytic cells (think moles on your body, not typical, but not cancer) that can happen in any front even without nitrogen stress, but it could be that with nitrogen stress, this is more likely to happen. Thus you can see it in the wild, you can see it in aquarium bred fish, but it becomes more common in transported fish. /logic
Old 05-10-2014, 05:05 PM
rodsue

Thanks for that info. It makes sense to me. Mostly because when I treated my male wc pim I did rub the spots with treated water using a q-tip. Perhaps that was enough because the spots are gone now. Good info to know about. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:30 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Interesting. Nitrogen burns would be another way of saying ammonia, which some people say it is and some people say it isn't. Does sound plausible as possibly explaining why it's seen in wild exports but not normally in domestic fronts, though supposedly not impossible in domestic fronts. IMO, without knowing of any pathological or biological study done on them, it's possible there could be more than one cause of damage to their scales that results in the spots-- just my own theory, which could also be ruled out if they were ever actually studied by experts.

What I don't buy is the skin cancer theory from earlier in the thread. Among the reasons is I've never seen where someone says the black spots developed into anything else over time, which they would do if it was cancer. In that case you'd hear a lot more about 'lake spots' as a major health issue with fronts, but people generally take them in stride as no big deal and just something you get with wild fronts.

I have seen where it's possible for fish to get skin cancer, usually due to intense sun in shallow ponds, but they turn into lesions and such. With 'lake spots' I've never seen anyone report anything else than they're a harmless pigment oddity that doesn't affect the fish.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Jeff

Keeping: WC Moba

So F1 fish are never shipped long distances and don't suffer from ammonia burns in the same way? Given that the fish is completely surrounded by the water, why are only certain spots affected? Basically, I don't buy the ammonia suggestion. I think the fact that it is found on wc fish only would suggest more of a parasite issue. If the fish are caught with the spots present, (as I believe they are) that would knock the ammonia theory on the head.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points