Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Talk General Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Razzo
Elite Member

::Profile::
Keeping: None
Default Quick Fish Room Update

The 40-gallon Black Congo Calvus group is not working out as planned. Started with two males/three females. Palau (alpha) and one of the females paired up. First to go was the beta male. I caught that attack in time and was able to re-home him in the 240 with my Mikula. Next fish on their hit list was one of the females - she was beat up pretty bad - I lost her in a ten gallon hospital tank.

Then Palau and his girlfriend turned on the last remaining female. Caught that early and now she is in the 240 too.

Now Palau and his girlfriend have the 40-gallon all to themselves and I come back from vacation to find that female stuck inside my AC70. I left the strainer extension off for photography purposes

So now, Palau (my show male) is in the 40 all by himself. The beta male and female that were exiled to the 240 have paired up and will most likely be spawning in a shell near the front of the tank.

So, not sure what to do. If I introduce Palau to the 240, he may get his butt kicked by the beta. Thinking I may need to order a new trio, QT them as normal and then take every calvus, out of every tank and freak them out in a bare 55-gallon tank for a day, re-aquascape the 240 and put all the calvus in the 240 and let them sort things out. Probably an ideal time to add some comps too and Nkambae too.

I broke my own three male rule and paid the price. Perhaps, I should get two more males and two more females. That would make four males and four females in the 240. Alpha aggression spread out among three other males in an eight foot tank with lots of hiding spaces, I think that could work.

Greg, you got any Black Congo Calvus left?
Old 08-11-2016, 11:39 AM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

I was afraid something like that might happen. Tall plants in the corners...just saying. My white calvus (who spawn regularly and get along great most of the time) fight like cats and dogs when it's close to spawning time. The spare female hides in the weeds until the spawn is complete and everything calms down. (unless she spawns as well which is very common with many altos) The spawning female gets picked on as well until she's up in the weeds. After a week or two both females come back out and all is well again.
Same with my gombe red comps and sumbu comps, my other groups are in 6' tanks with no aggression issues though.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Hemp111

Keeping: F1 Lupota and WC Mikula

What ever happened with the Mikula that was holding? did any of the babies make it?

It's not a hoby.... It's an addiction!!
Old 08-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher View Post
I was afraid something like that might happen. Tall plants in the corners...just saying. My white calvus (who spawn regularly and get along great most of the time) fight like cats and dogs when it's close to spawning time. The spare female hides in the weeds until the spawn is complete and everything calms down. (unless she spawns as well which is very common with many altos) The spawning female gets picked on as well until she's up in the weeds. After a week or two both females come back out and all is well again.
Same with my gombe red comps and sumbu comps, my other groups are in 6' tanks with no aggression issues though.
Great tip John. Are these tall plants live or fake.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:08 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemp111 View Post
What ever happened with the Mikula that was holding? did any of the babies make it?
She held to term and must have released somewhere I couldn't see. Haven't seen any fry. I suspect she released two to three fry which got consumed by tank mates.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:44 PM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzo View Post
Great tip John. Are these tall plants live or fake.
Just plain old fake plants. The females can burrow right in there and hide better than behind rocks imo. Usually the male doesn't even bother looking for her once she's in the jungle...out of site-out of mind so to speak.
Razzo (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Razzo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher View Post
Just plain old fake plants. The females can burrow right in there and hide better than behind rocks imo. Usually the male doesn't even bother looking for her once she's in the jungle...out of site-out of mind so to speak.
I should get my hornwart floating forest started.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk