Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Breeding Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:14 PM
ddink7

::Profile::
Default Breeding Tips/Best Practices?

Good morning all! I've had my Mobas about 4.5 years now and they produce perhaps 150-200 fry per year. Does anybody have any tips or best practices they can share about their breeding and things that seem to help?

Here's my setup:

180G (6' x 2' x 2')

2x Fluval FX5 (each has one tray of ceramic prefilter and two trays of bio filter underneath, which each bio tray containing a small bag of aragonite sand for buffering purposes)

Water changes either weekly or biweekly, varies (about 35-45% water change)

Feed every other day (approximately) with NLS, occasionally give freeze-dried krill

Hard water, pH out of the tap is 8.5

Temperature generally between 76-79

LED tank lights, on for about 7 hours per day, approx 1200 lumens

1M:8F (alpha male is about 15" and probably 12-14 years old...he's WC, and Greg at LAA had him for 5 years, and I've had him almost 5 years)

I have an eight foot ivy plant growing above the tank with its roots directly in the aquarium's water column (in front of a filter's outflow). Serves as a nitrate filter

Substrate is black Tahitian Moon Sand

There are a couple of things I'm changing to try and induce more spawning (as well as general health and well-being). I sometimes get busy and feed inconsistently. I know these fish really like consistency, so my goal is to feed them every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I have used NLS as their staple, probably 90% of the time. I want to gradually introduce Ken's Krill Pellets and eventually have it make up 50% of their diet). I want to try to be more consistent with my water changes as well.

Over the years I've seen my girls produce quite a few unfertilized eggs. I've been concerned that current might be one possible cause (washing the male's milt away). Originally both FX5 intakes were near the bottom of the tank, but I eventually moved one intake up to about 12" in depth. I'm probably going to do the same with the other intake, and I'm also going to be adding DIY spraybars. Hopefully this will reduce any currents in the tank as well as oxygenate the water more thoroughly.

I just replaced one of my old LED lights with a new one, so I now have only 900 lumens or so. I figure they come from a low-light environment in the lake, so that could only help. Also, I'm probably going to reduce the time the light is on to about six hours. Sometimes I unplug the timer for awhile during water changes (I turn off the whole power strip) and then forget to reset the light timer for a few days, so an inconsistent day/night schedule probably doesn't do them any good.

I'm concerned that my male may be getting too old to do his job. Complicating the matter is that in almost five years I've only ever seen them breed one time (despite having had hundreds of fry over the years). Since I rarely see it, I'm not sure how well he's doing at courting the females. Maybe I should keep a log of when I see females drop a tube, and correlate that with holding activity?

Within a year we will hopefully be moving to a bigger house, so I don't want to make any livestock changes now, disrupt breeding, then disrupt them again in a year when we move. But when we move, I'm considering whether I might replace my one huge (and old) alpha male with two younger males? I really, really hate to do this since he's my favorite fish of them all...maybe my wife would let me have another tank, and he could "retire" there, if needed.

What do y'all think? I know they are finicky and complicated to breed, and what works for some doesn't work for others. The most common advice is "keep your hand out of the tank" and I'm really good about that (not changing stuff around, etc.).
Old 08-04-2016, 12:45 PM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

One thing that has really improved the production of fry in my groups was switching from a mostly pellet based diet to more of a krill based diet. I feed 5 days a week or so. (pending how busy work is that week)
Also I only use one fx5/6 on my larger tanks (7'-210g's) along with a ac110 or emperor 400 so I'm not sure if current might be an issue or not?
Old 08-06-2016, 07:49 PM
porsche

current was the first thing i thought off when i saw that your using 2 fx5. With the filter being rated for a 400gallon, 2 is just way overkill. Couple things that i did way back when i was breeding them that i noticed made a difference/helped:

- when doing a water change, the new water should be a little colder
- krill helps alot
- probably my biggest suggestion is get a 2nd male in there. It adds competition and takes away that comfort zone/mentality from the Alpha male.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:20 AM
ddink7

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche View Post
current was the first thing i thought off when i saw that your using 2 fx5. With the filter being rated for a 400gallon, 2 is just way overkill. Couple things that i did way back when i was breeding them that i noticed made a difference/helped:

- when doing a water change, the new water should be a little colder
- krill helps alot
- probably my biggest suggestion is get a 2nd male in there. It adds competition and takes away that comfort zone/mentality from the Alpha male.
Thank you!

Perhaps I should consider permanently shutting down one of the FX5s? Any other thoughts?

My alpha has killed two other males, unfortunately =( He's HUGE and can be mean (usually only to other males though)
Old 08-08-2016, 10:42 AM
porsche

Did you rearrange the tank when adding extra males? Perhaps hes just used to being king that it cant be changed.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 PM
ddink7

Quote:
Did you rearrange the tank when adding extra males? Perhaps hes just used to being king that it cant be changed.
I guess I should have told the whole story lol!

So I got my group from Greg @ LAA...they were his personal breeding group. He originally had three males, but shortly before he sold the group to me, the alpha had killed one of them. No biggie, iirc they were in a 125, so I figured a 180 would give a little more space, and one less male would make the alpha happy. I was right, for about three years. I had noticed absolutely zero problems, then one day I came home and the beta male was dead on a rock. There were no warning signs. Just bam! Beat to hell and dead.

So technically I haven't actually tried adding another male; the ones he has killed have been with him since the beginning (and obviously through territory changes, when they all moved to my aquarium and set up new territories).
Old 08-09-2016, 05:20 PM
porsche

Hmm thats an odd situation. Sounds like an a**hole lol! Sometimes helps to seperate males alltogether while another steps in/up to the plate. Ive never seen them be aggressive randomly, its usually more when they're first introduced.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:46 PM
ddink7

Quote:
Hmm thats an odd situation. Sounds like an a**hole lol! Sometimes helps to seperate males alltogether while another steps in/up to the plate. Ive never seen them be aggressive randomly, its usually more when they're first introduced.
It was definitely bizarre. After they had been together so long, I figured they were just fine with each other...until they weren't.

The only thing that I can figure is that the beta must have challenged the alpha's dominance in some way...maybe he tried to breed with one of the females?
Old 08-09-2016, 06:16 PM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddink7 View Post
It was definitely bizarre. After they had been together so long, I figured they were just fine with each other...until they weren't.

The only thing that I can figure is that the beta must have challenged the alpha's dominance in some way...maybe he tried to breed with one of the females?
My lupota just did the same thing a couple months ago. I don't know what happened but I came home to find 1 dead female, 2 beat up females, and my beta was hiding in the corner all beat to snot as well.
They've been together for about 2 1/2-3 years or so and one day they just snapped.

On a side note, my lone kitumba male spawns with his females constantly.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding