Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Breeding Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:16 AM
atiz311

::Profile::
Keeping: WC Chumbu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan_Blue View Post
It is a female she has held for 5 day in the past. (I've had male mpimbwe hold eggs) but Saw her tub drop down and all. She is a big female however. Compared to the alfa male. Beta male is bigger than her but she is bigger than the alfa. And I say he is alfa because he still bullies the beta sometimes. But there is no real alfa between those 3. One minute one is alfa the next minutes the other and so on.
Hi Titan Blue....my best bet is that your group is still very young or new to each and hasn't established hierarchy or rank... Everything will fall into place once you have kept them for more than a year...I had that happened to my chumbu group where everyone is just chasing each other whether it's the alpha beta or a female they don't care. You just need to let your Alpha male grow if he is really the alpha and let nature take its course. I know not a lot would recommend PVC pipes but that was my solution to all the bullying/ chasing around unless it's spawning time ...I get a lot of messed up fins and loose scales here and there. But yeah PVC pipes will help but make the tank look ugly

BTW my chumbu group is better with one male. Also I have lupotas too and have a female bigger by a quarter of an inch than my male and she punks him and to me that's fine because when I had mikulani had the same problem until the male outgrew the female and wala!! No more bullying so just do lots of water changes and good diet and u will see a change in a couple of months
Growout tanks: f1 chumbu frys/wigglers
The Following User Says Thank You to atiz311 For This Useful Post:
Titan_Blue (01-16-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 07:19 PM
Titan_Blue

Keeping: W/C Lupota 2M/5F 180 gallon

So as expected female that was breeding last night isn't holding today. Egg must of not have gotten fertilized. Big female however should be about to drop her tub soon as it's been like 2 months since she last bread. So I'm planning to leave her in there till she breeds and pull her out when she is holding since I'm sure no one will interup her breeding, hopefully I'll get some fry out of her. And I'll leave her out in a 90 gallon tank I'm setting up for her for about 2 months to give the males a chance to grow and establish dominance amongst them selves and the rest of the group. I'm still open to suggestions however.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Titan_Blue

Thank you for the info bud. I'm doing about 20 /30 % water change a week. And feeding krill/brine shrimp (twice a week) and NLS Thera A(once a week.) They have hiding places. ( rocks I brought down from grandfather mountain in North Carolina.) Would love to see pics of your group.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:24 AM
atiz311

Quote:
Thank you for the info bud. I'm doing about 20 /30 % water change a week. And feeding krill/brine shrimp (twice a week) and NLS Thera A(once a week.) They have hiding places. ( rocks I brought down from grandfather mountain in North Carolina.) Would love to see pics of your group.
Yes..i will post soon. I have some females in my chumbu group spawning so i try not to be near the tanks until they finish. Btw what size tank do you have? Wait nevermind...u have 180g that is great, but what i notice with my group i see less aggression in my 240 with my alpha and females but the females do fight each other alot though.

And in my 180g i see a lot of agression with my lupota... Maybe its also the length of the tank but thats just my opinion and maybe the personalities of my zaires. LMK if having more hiding places helps.

-Art
Titan_Blue (01-20-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 12:39 AM
atiz311

Quote:
So as expected female that was breeding last night isn't holding today. Egg must of not have gotten fertilized. Big female however should be about to drop her tub soon as it's been like 2 months since she last bread. So I'm planning to leave her in there till she breeds and pull her out when she is holding since I'm sure no one will interup her breeding, hopefully I'll get some fry out of her. And I'll leave her out in a 90 gallon tank I'm setting up for her for about 2 months to give the males a chance to grow and establish dominance amongst them selves and the rest of the group. I'm still open to suggestions however.
If i was you i would let them all grow together because isolating one female for months and then Introducing her to the group again may cause some problems. The group may establish ranks between each other and grow at a different rate and bringing in the female back in the group can cause females to clash. As you noticed ur female punks the males because they are bigger and in time when the males outgrow the big female she wont punk them anymore. But that was just my experience with my group could be different with yours.
Titan_Blue (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 09:11 PM
Titan_Blue

As I expected the big females tube dropped today.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Titan_Blue

So I came home yesterday and missed the spawn as she was already holding eggs. Couldn't catch which male she spawned with. She is still holding this morning so I'm hoping the eggs where fertilized. I plan on stripping her on day 5.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:30 PM
Titan_Blue

Just to update. I ended up stripping on the 4th since it was a Sunday. It is day 6 now. She had 30 eggs give or take 1 egg. And saw a couple wiggling already so they were fertilized. I will start another thread soon hopefully if I finally figure out how to post pictures of the fry development.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:04 PM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

That's awesome! Sounds like you no longer have a w/c lupota breeding group problem as your title states. hahaha

posting pictures:
http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31754
Titan_Blue (01-29-2015)

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding