Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Breeding Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM
crispyythree

::Profile::
Keeping: Moba, Mpimbwe
Default Any input? Your Experiences wanted.

Ok. I know many people here are getting sick of hearing members only want to talk about breeding. But I've been holding it for a while so I needa ask . Hope you guys don't mind!

My Mpimbwe females have been dropping tubes almost monthly and I have seen spawning with that colony. BUT with my Moba it's complete opposite, I recently purchased a colony from several locals here. I've had them for about a month now and I have seen 2 of the females drop tubes and my Male has dropped his as well. Now my question is.

Does a female dropping tubes guarantee mating?

Because my male has been chasing but the females are swimming away. It's a fairly new group. (I probably might be answering my question here) But Is it because they aren't used to each other and are still getting used to their surroundings? Or the females are really not interested in my male?

What are your experiences?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 PM
kewl_front
Veteran Member

How big (size) are your mobas? Do you have any other cichlids in with them? Usually when my females drop their tubes, something good happens unless it's interrupted by people or other cichlids. Good luck and questions are always appreciated as we all learn from them!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 PM
crispyythree

My male is a good 9 inches. The females 5-7 inches. I have no other cichlids except them. So im really unsure of whats going wrong? I believe dww-law here just introduced a female and boom shes already holding... that's ridiculous! haha so i feel like note even time is a factor. is it just a matter of females wanting to breed?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 PM
kewl_front
Veteran Member

Strange. If she drops her tube, you/mobas should be good to go! Maybe it's cuz they are new. I haven't experieced this but atleast you see tubes and something goods bound to happen. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 PM
congoblue
Site Advisor

Keeping: 18 WC Tembwe

It sounds like they are establishing there hierarchy in the group and if your male is chasing them around that's a great sign! In my experience with my current group of mobas anytime a tube has dropped that female spawns within 3 days or so. That doesn't necessarily mean the spawn is successful but they do go through the spawning ritual. Most of my girls have unsuccessfully spawned the first time they spawned in my tank. I only have 2 out of the six females I have that were successful their first spawn. But the good news is they were all successful on their second go around. Numbers of good eggs get better also. My females usually spawn about every 90 days. With that being said I wish you luck and keep us posted.
crispyythree (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 12:03 AM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

Sounds like they're definitly ready, but they're not quite comfortable with either their new surroundings quite yet, or like congoblue said, they're still trying to figure out the hierarchy. Either way, it sounds like good things are coming in the near future. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 AM
crispyythree

Thank you guys. I'll be keeping a close eye. I think it's her 2nd day dropping her tube. I have seen them circle around each other but then another female comes in and disrupts it. Quite frustrating if you ask me. hehe it seems like they all want a piece. I'll keep you guys posted. And I have some better pics of my Alpha.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Good thoughts already, but a lot depends on the male, including being mature enough (at nine inches that's likely but not a guarantee), whether he has a suitable temperament, and his experience and/or interest in spawning. As already mentioned getting them settled in the new surroundings can be a factor also.

Aside from such particulars, Zaires are not generally as easy as Tanz to breed, anyway. Would not be surprising to get less productivity from them than your from your Pims.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 PM
crispyythree

Yes this I know is quite true. He seems to have lost interest even though the females tube has become much more noticeable. I really hope he gets a renewed interest. My Pims have no problem. They just go at it. But With these guys it's really a different story. Im really hoping all goes well.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding