Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Talk General Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:39 AM
Kevinw23

::Profile::
Default Adding adults to a current adult group

Hi everyone,

So, I currently have a 225 gallon tank with a group of 8 adult wild caught Moba's. I have had them for almost 8 years, and unfortunately, I wound up with 6 males and two females. I got my one female to hold about a month ago and was able to get 5 babies, but thats the first time.

Two things, I am thinking they are starting to outgrow the tank, as the alpha male is probably approaching a foot long, and I would love to have more females to increase the ratio for breeding.

I found a 350 gallon tank for sale locally, and was considering getting it. Then, I just saw on the for sale site that there is a breeding group of adult Moba's for sale with mostly females.

The two questions are:
- Do you think a 350 gallon tank would hold 15 adult frontosa?
- Do you think its possible to integrate new adult fish with an existing colony that has been together for 8 years???

Thanks so much.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:42 AM
[]V[]addog

good question... that is a ton of males... very unlucky! you would assume at least 3-4 females.

I think as long as their personalities get along, and you keep the water quality up. I don't see why that coudlnt work, that is a huge water volume.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:48 PM
NTL1

If time permits and you have the available space, I would suggest buying and setting up the 350 first. Then purchase the new group and combine with your old group at the same time into the new setup.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:14 PM
fast

15 adults is a little too many, i think u should buy the tank and the group then pick out the best fish. I would said 10 is a good number, with 2m/8f in a 350g. Put the rest in ur old tank and sell it or keep both tank lol.
I think it easier to combine the fishes when they all put in a new tank at once.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:11 PM
JMAC

I disagree with how much space most people say they need.

I would not worry about getting a bigger tank at all. (unless you just need an excuse)

I kept 17 adults in a 6' 210 Gallon. It's not nearly as crowded as you would think. I WITNESSED MUCH MORE ACTIVITY AND BREEDING THIS WAY. I had 6 males and 11 females If i remember right, plus 5 of the females would breed like clockwork.

Then divorce happened.......

Old 10-21-2015, 08:18 PM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

That's a bit more crowded then I would prefer personally but dang! They do look pretty darn awesome in there! lol Sorry for your loss!
Old 10-21-2015, 09:22 PM
chopsteeks

What is the footprint of the 350 ? 8 or 10 footer ? If it is a 10 footer, I think 15 should be ok.

If you move all 15 into that new tank at the same time, I think you will be ok. I think the potential issue really is the expected alpha male argument. Will not know till you put them together.

To me personally, I will sell some males.... I want to watch the tank where there is more open space, more swimming room for the Fronts. Again this is just a personal preference.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:31 AM
[]V[]addog

It would look more active for sure. I think if the water quality is up, you should be fine
Old 10-22-2015, 08:57 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

IME they do tend to be more active in a little bit larger group than some like to keep. Can't say I've tried as many as 17, but if it works it works. IME fronts defy cookie cutter rules and you just try to read (or experiment) with a particular group to see what works for them. As far as changes to an established colony, results are not always predictable, new tank puts them all on a similar footing, may make the transition easier on the newbies, but results to breeding can be pretty random. In other words no guarantees, it can upset a group that had been breeding like clockwork, which doesn't sound like your group, anyway.

Some have seen better breeding in smaller groups, but I haven't seen that it's a rule. Again, different groups/individual fish can be different with cyphotilapia. IMO a 35O is plenty big enough for 15, it's just hard to say what will happen with breeding, depends on your particular group-- or your particular alpha.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:50 AM
sawboy
Site Advisor

Keeping: Burundi, Moba, Mpimbwe, Kitumba, Bismarck, Kampampa, Kipili

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTL1 View Post
If time permits and you have the available space, I would suggest buying and setting up the 350 first. Then purchase the new group and combine with your old group at the same time into the new setup.
This! Plus you can pull out your four existing, biggest males and sell, or give away. You'll wind up with a much better ratio, and genetic diversity as well.

GCCA treasurer
FAAS treasurer
ACA member
GCCA forum moderator
Aquatic-Terrors.com administrator
ACA forum moderator

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk