Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Talk General Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:10 AM
dashGills

::Profile::
Default Trouble Group

hi all, I'm very upset because my mpimbwe group, 1m 3f, a girl of them recently always chasing the another females and make them injured whatever on the fins or scales. I have already relocated the decoration but seemed nil help for the situation, they all eating normally but it starts to chase once the feeding time finished. Ah.........it make me so bother to continuous for such condition........any suggestion or opinions are welcome!
Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 AM
Dimizeg2g

Keeping: WC Mikula

Do you notice its over territory? Have you tried re-arranging the whole tank(decorations rock etc) that seems to make them start over,and have to reclaim territory over time.
I was also told by a fellow cichlid keeper years ago that the higher you have the temp,it also can play a part in aggression. I was told keep it a bit lower(75-78 degrees F) and it seemed to help at the time.
If all else fails the trouble maker may have to be replaced,some personalities cant be fixed! These are just a few things I have learned over the years,hope it helps.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Razzo
Elite Member

Keeping: None

I had one female that was, kinda,rejected, by a couple of the other females. She just wouldn't stand up for herself. Eventually, she did end up getting a backbone and she now holds her own.

How big is this tank?

If you added another quad or trio, that might help. You'll get a young boy in the quad who will pick on all the girls equally and the aggressive females may decide they have a bigger problem than the female that is getting beat up.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:11 AM
dashGills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimizeg2g View Post
Do you notice its over territory? Have you tried re-arranging the whole tank(decorations rock etc) that seems to make them start over,and have to reclaim territory over time.
I was also told by a fellow cichlid keeper years ago that the higher you have the temp,it also can play a part in aggression. I was told keep it a bit lower(75-78 degrees F) and it seemed to help at the time.
If all else fails the trouble maker may have to be replaced,some personalities cant be fixed! These are just a few things I have learned over the years,hope it helps.
yup, i have already took up the heater one week ago and temp is arround 22-24 celcius degess,i really don't know why that one was turn aggressive suddenly and i will keep in view the condition. Tks for reply
Old 04-19-2015, 10:24 AM
dashGills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzo View Post
I had one female that was, kinda,rejected, by a couple of the other females. She just wouldn't stand up for herself. Eventually, she did end up getting a backbone and she now holds her own.

How big is this tank?

If you added another quad or trio, that might help. You'll get a young boy in the quad who will pick on all the girls equally and the aggressive females may decide they have a bigger problem than the female that is getting beat up.
My tank is only 1.5m so i kept this ratio only, they are living peaceful since i got them from 13cm juvenile. 2 of them were spawning in the beginning this year but not successful. The aggressive one had not yet spawned, may be its the time to increase the density for stopping such conflict........

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 04-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Keeping: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashGills View Post
My tank is only 1.5m so i kept this ratio only, they are living peaceful since i got them from 13cm juvenile. 2 of them were spawning in the beginning this year but not successful. The aggressive one had not yet spawned, may be its the time to increase the density for stopping such conflict........

Thanks for the suggestion!
1.5 meters (5-foot) could be a contributing factor too. My old Kapampa group was in a six foot tank and I had aggression problems that I couldn't fix. I moved them to an eight foot tank and the problems ceased.

Tranquility in a frontosa colony can be heavily influenced by tank foot print or lack there of. While that is not a law, more often than not, that's usually the case. Bigger is almost always better with Cyphotilapia.

Russ
Old 04-19-2015, 04:48 PM
djd

Keeping: silver blue nsumbu, WC Lupota

there is a chance that she is not a female. possibly vented wrong.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk