Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tankmates
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tankmates Discussion of compatible Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tankmates.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:33 PM
supafly

::Profile::
Keeping: Tangs/Malawis/Reef
Default Petro Trewavase with Moba's

It's been over a decade since I last kept Petros and I remember having good success keeping them by themselves. In a couple of weeks I'll have an opportunity to purchase wild Petro Trewavasae and I am thinking of mixing them in with my wild Moba's. My group of 12 Moba's range between 4"-6" and currently reside in a 180g. They are relatively young and have not spawned yet so I don't have an immediate expectation of them breeding within the next year. Hence, I don't mind adding tank mates right now. The tank aquascape is quite open and filtration is more then sufficient for the additional fish. If possible I'd like to add 2m/4F or 2m/6F Trewavasae, will the two fish coexist with minimal issues?

Concerns
Diet - could be a concern but my Moba's have been on veggie and shrimp pellets for over 6 months and I plan on sticking with that.

Aggression - both fish will be at similar size but by nature petros are more territorial, perhaps some chasing by the petros?

Conspecific aggression - with only about 6-8 petros in the tank I fear male aggression will be intolerable, however, the 12 moba's may play a key role in controlling that aggression by being the obstacle in between and helping to disperse.

Let 's hear your thoughts.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:39 AM
jwcollect

Keeping: Moba, Burundi, Misc. Lake Tanganyikan

Personally, I wouldn't keep Petros with Frontosa. They move too fast will hog up all the food and can be very aggressive and nippy.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:44 PM
supafly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcollect View Post
They move too fast will hog up all the food and can be very aggressive and nippy.
I agree these are also my main concerns and this is how I plan on addressing them.

Competing for food - I'll probably feed smaller pellets to evenly disperse so every fish has a chance to scavenge rather than feeding less of the larger pellets.

Aggressiveness and nippy - I imagine the male petro will be chasing the other petros around but not certain if they would pay much attention to the Moba long term. I am also feeling optimistic that the petros won't develop a taste for Frontosa fins. Does anyone have past experience with this part?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:06 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

If you have a huge tank, maybe, like 8 ft. or larger, otherwise I wouldn't do it. It's been done, but in larger than 6 ft. tanks when I've seen it, even then it's not guaranteed and you may still get some nipped fins. Also, ime the small pellet theory doesn't work very well for fronts when they have to compete with a group of faster fish, they don't get much with each bite, and by the time the other fish are flashing around snapping up everything they don't end up with much.

Diet's not the issue, not if you're feeding a quality pellet (that isn't specialized for carnivores).
Old 03-14-2018, 05:04 PM
supafly

I searched the internet and youtube for info but there isn't much. Not many have posted their experiences with these two fish, so I'll take your advise as I was leaning more this way anyways. Sometimes you just need to hear it from another source. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 PM
Nanook

Keeping: Lupota

These guys are pretty knowledgeable! Cool fish the Petros!

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tankmates