Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Breeding Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:12 PM
ujwaldignified

::Profile::
Default Spawning area confusion between females - POSSESSIVENESS

Now that I lost the first female's batch of eggs due to early stripping (2nd day) for fungus, other 2 females are ready with tubes down.

Two issues conflicting :

Issue 1: the female which held for 2 days and got her eggs stripped is assuming the rock area (spawning area) as her own and chasing the new tube down female away and she is in her last hour labor period. While the first female had no problems with spawning area possession conflict.
Do I have to intervene.?

Issue 2 : Since there are 2 females with tubes down, the male is rather confused as to whom should he follow. He is following and enticing the female that has less tube down.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:30 PM
ujwaldignified

I thought the male should sort it out. But he is busy searching for the female on the other end of the tank for the female in the caves. While she is busy being chased away from the rock area by the female that has finished spawning couple of days back.

I thought the male will allow only the present tube down female and chase the rest of the colony.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:34 PM
ujwaldignified

Also I saw my first female which laid eggs a month back but she swallowed within hours, had laid eggs in the open but the male was disinterested. Then she being the most sober of the females was damn aggressive trying her best to chase everybody from the open area to protect her eggs from being eaten.
Hmmmmm let me wait and watch what this new female does. Her tube look like a balloon though.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:07 PM
jico2
Site Advisor

Keeping: Chumbu,Pims,Kaps,Kits,Tembs,Samazi

Just relax and enjoy the show. I feel the more we have our hands in the tanks the worse. Let them be, they will figure it out. I still get panicky when I got a female with a tube down and the male is going crazy chasing everyone. But they eventually get it done. I was wondering how soon you stripped that last batch. 2 days is early. You can have success stripping that early but odds are low. Until recently I used to try to hold out 3 days min or until I noticed the mouthfuls getting noticeably smaller. Be patient, it looks like your group is maturing nicely. They will produce soon enough.
240 Gallon 9 WC Tembwe
125 gallon 9 WC Kipilli
125 gallon 12 WC Chumbu
125 gallon 9 WC Mikula

This will be my last tank I promise. Oh who am I kidding?
The Following User Says Thank You to jico2 For This Useful Post:
ujwaldignified (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 03:21 PM
ujwaldignified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico2 View Post
Just relax and enjoy the show. I feel the more we have our hands in the tanks the worse. Let them be, they will figure it out. I still get panicky when I got a female with a tube down and the male is going crazy chasing everyone. But they eventually get it done. I was wondering how soon you stripped that last batch. 2 days is early. You can have success stripping that early but odds are low. Until recently I used to try to hold out 3 days min or until I noticed the mouthfuls getting noticeably smaller. Be patient, it looks like your group is maturing nicely. They will produce soon enough.
Thanks a ton.
Finally more than two advices (read it as 'voices') in this forum.

Oh the 'group maturing' is a new perception I got in the cyphos keeping. Though I had read it i dint know what it meant. Also I could not recognise it untill you pointed it out Jico.
Thank you once again.

UPDATE:
I saw the Alpha (I call him 'Beast') is chasing everybody, like you said, including the heavily tube down female who is desperately looking for a safe spawning place.
I am just apprehensive if this female is not in the list of his taste. He actually recognises that she is the one who has tubed down bcz he was almost noticing her digging the sand , right beside her, at a hidden corner in the spawning area/rock area. But this happened only for a few mins and then he started chasing her away along with the other female who is possessive about the rock area. I am just thinking if he is passed off with the old female with whom he has finished courting last week and is being mad at the current time tube down female too.

Sorry lots of thoughts coming in my mind to come to a conclusion.
I will relax like you said. Have left a small diffused light in the flash ceiling and going to bed.
Bye.
Uj
Old 12-02-2016, 10:18 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Not that unusual for females to try and claim a personal spot, some do this even as juveniles. In some tanks the females will do most of the fussing over territory while males may be (or may not) more concerned with who gets to be alpha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico2 View Post
Just relax and enjoy the show. I feel the more we have our hands in the tanks the worse. Let them be, they will figure it out... Be patient, it looks like your group is maturing nicely. They will produce soon enough.
+1 Beyond getting tubes down and starting to see spawning behavior there's not a standard program or timetable they always follow. Some might figure it out within a spawn or two and other groups can take a year or longer to work it out.

These are smart fish, more than a lot of people recognize because you see it in subtle ways most people don't have the patience to observe. An element of this is their individuality in behavior, social interaction, and breeding. Of course, there are common behaviors most cyphos keepers will see or recognize, but these are like a common sub-set within a larger set of potential behavior you may or may not see in any particular group or individual.

Beyond getting the basics of care, food, and tank right, a lot of it is up to them to figure out for themselves.
ujwaldignified (12-02-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 03:36 PM
ujwaldignified

Default They are spawning right now. (After i decided to remove the dominant female)

They are spawning as i type in here.
I saw another female tube down and this time i dint want to take chance and i removed the dominant female that had acquired the rock area and not letting the tube down female to start digging in the area. (Rock area is the alpha male's cave/his prefered spawning area till now)

It surprises me to see the females choosing the rock area, though my Alpha is not a shy guy hiding in his cave, but is always out in the open displaying himself. I rather have a female in the group hiding all the time except feeding time. How will the females know that the rock area is the area which the alpha can protect their courtship/eggs?

P.S.
Very nice to see another female in the group very curious to know what is happening behind the rock. She gets chased everytime. Hahahaha. I know this might be too basics for many experts out here. I am just sharing my joy with you guys.

Let me wait till day 7 this time.

Thanks
Uj
Old 12-03-2016, 04:09 PM
STEAKBELLY

Keeping: WC Mikula, WC White Chatika Calv., gold occies, Nanna Anomalas, Brevis, WC Blk, Calv.

spawns are like scratch off tickets....you usually know the outcome but you still let yourself get excited every time....its exciting and you SHOULD enjoy it!
The Following User Says Thank You to STEAKBELLY For This Useful Post:
ujwaldignified (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 04:35 PM
ujwaldignified

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEAKBELLY View Post
spawns are like scratch off tickets....you usually know the outcome but you still let yourself get excited every time....its exciting and you SHOULD enjoy it!
Particularly, the bginning of the experience of having female WC moba holding mouthful.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:38 PM
ujwaldignified

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEAKBELLY View Post
Which is the best thread tolearn raising fries after tumbling ?
P.S. i have got the Marina breeder box

Thanks
Uj

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding