Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Breeding Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 PM
jico2
Site Advisor

::Profile::
Keeping: Chumbu,Pims,Kaps,Kits,Tembs,Samazi

I agree with Russ with them looking a little thin. I noticed it in their bellies as well as their foreheads. But my fish tend to be a little round( like their owner) so I didn't want to be the first to say they look thin.
240 Gallon 9 WC Tembwe
125 gallon 9 WC Kipilli
125 gallon 12 WC Chumbu
125 gallon 9 WC Mikula

This will be my last tank I promise. Oh who am I kidding?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:09 PM
enshacra87

You're absolutely right ! They are thin, I only have them since December and they were even thinner then. Since I got them I feed them every day. If u look at my videos you will see my females and smaller frontosas, which I had since they were small aren't thin, just the new colony especially the males. I heard it's best to feed them every other day but looking at them I feed everyday new life spectrum. Hopefully they gain more weight soon. It's been slow but steady so far.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 PM
enshacra87

Here's pics vids when I first got them.. Skinny...
http://http://instagram.com/p/hclypgRay8/

http://youtu.be/FZxkMW9X8TA
Old 01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
stefan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzo View Post
I realize that I am in the minority on this opinion: Epsom salt is very hard on the digestive system of cichlids and should not be given too them.

Like everyone else, I used to use a small amount of Epsom with my water changes. After talking with a Fish Pharmacist, my opinion was changed. I will still use Epsom to treat wounds; however, my fish pharmacist does not encourage that (they have other meds).

My fish that got picked on (like my beta) had fin damage that would not heal and had, what appeared, to be a fungus or pre fungus on the edges of fins that had been tattered. It was not a fungus because it didn't spread to other fish. I was told by my fish pharmacist that the Epsom was the cause. I stopped using Epsom and it disappeared after a few water changes never to return.

I had an "expert" tell me this and everything in my fish tank improved after stopping the use of Epsom (including successful spawning). Correlation-yes, causality-???

I know there are people out there that swear by Epsom and have had great success in their tanks in every regard. I am just telling you the advice an "expert" gave me and the alleged results in my tank.

Hope that helps!

Russ
Thanks for the response! I use it mainly to increase the waters GH. Always thought that it would be best to try and replicate lake tangs water.. If it indeed does have an effect on there spawning maybe I need to try something different.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:29 PM
mfehmi

Keeping: WC Moba

Quote:
Originally Posted by enshacra87 View Post
Ok i got u pics of the alpha sideways, the beta male n the 3rd contender.

Maybe Im wrong, but I noticed that you have mobas along with what appears to be frontosa burundi.

In the third photo only the alpha male looks like a moba, the other two looks like burundi and in the fourth photo the three frontosas looks like burundi.

Cyphos in general are sometimes tricky to breed, if you add to that equation that you have two different subspecies, well that MAYBE could get the breeding process more complicated.

You mention that you want to breed frontosas in order to sell to your friend store. My advice is that you either get a colony of all mobas of go for the burundis, but don't mix them. I think Hybrids are not good for the hobby.

From other friends I learned that burundis are more easy to breed than zaire cyphos such as mobas.

This is my humble advice, I hope you don't get it wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to mfehmi For This Useful Post:
Tony Wilkins (01-23-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 11:47 PM
Tony Wilkins

To be technical, they are separate species no? Cyphotilapia frontosa 'Burundi' versus Cyphotilapia gibberosa 'Moba'. I don't know on what bases the species frontosa was divided and I know that hybridization is possible but I'm sure that it will make things difficult if not more confusing.

The 'red frontosa' (also present in your tank) is an example of that hybridization I'm assuming.

If the 'sunken' males are that way because of diet and not disease/parasite lots of protein is in order to build them up. They are opportunistic piscivores in nature.

How are they competing for food at feeding time? I know the Benthocrhomis Tricoti quartet are new and doubt they'd count as a serious cause of food deprivation but what about the Malawians in the tank?
Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 PM
enshacra87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfehmi View Post
Maybe Im wrong, but I noticed that you have mobas along with what appears to be frontosa burundi.

In the third photo only the alpha male looks like a moba, the other two looks like burundi and in the fourth photo the three frontosas looks like burundi.

Cyphos in general are sometimes tricky to breed, if you add to that equation that you have two different subspecies, well that MAYBE could get the breeding process more complicated.

You mention that you want to breed frontosas in order to sell to your friend store. My advice is that you either get a colony of all mobas of go for the burundis, but don't mix them. I think Hybrids are not good for the hobby.

From other friends I learned that burundis are more easy to breed than zaire cyphos such as mobas.

This is my humble advice, I hope you don't get it wrong.
I know you are totally right, me too I dont want any ******* fry. I want mobas.
The thing is I bought this colony as a colony, then noticed some were from different collection points. I just wanna see if I can breed them, I will keep all fry from that batch, unless its a moba with a moba or an mpimbwe female with the mpimbwe male.
My burundi male isnt dominant so theres no much risk of him fertilizing the eggs.
I take no offense in your comment, youve been quite gentle approaching this hybrid comment, I know everyone dislikes hybrids. I was just slightly stoopid and overly excitted when i got my colony that said Mpimbwe, got them home the dominant male and a few females were mobas... and the man who sold them said Oh i wanna get a colony of mobas.. duhh... smart you just sold me some lol.
Here in montreal its not really strong of a hobby keeping frontosas, and most stores carry only burundi or Frontosa... nothing after, so buy and good luck. I know in US, Uk Germany etc ppl are more selective. Here its just, Frontosa? wawwwww gimmeeeee.
Eventually Ill maybe make a separate tank for each collection point or exchange for the right type to have a more structured colony. But like I said in montreal its a little messy.
Razzo, about the feces , no all poop beautifully. They had bloat in december that I cured successfully, and i check their feces everyday and make sure everyone eats well n poops well..
Old 01-23-2014, 12:12 AM
enshacra87

I got those red ones as import before I even knew what frontosas really were. I'm one of the few in Montreal to have them because when I worked as that store I bought two and the rest killed each other in the small store tank and they didn't order them again.
When I throw food everyone eats good. They aren't fast but if they see food they go for it. The malawi fish like ob peacock he's there since a few weeks as time out from malawi tank, he's still recuperating so not aggressive. I throw enough they can eat for 2 minutes. Like I said that's what these males looked like when I bought them in December
Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 AM
Tony Wilkins

I can't remember from your video, did you end up with any Mpimbwe or were they all Moba and Burundi?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:40 PM
enshacra87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
I can't remember from your video, did you end up with any Mpimbwe or were they all Moba and Burundi?
All 3 types lol....

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding