Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Breeding Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

::Profile::
Keeping: Good Company

Could you post a few pics of your alpha male?

Please help boost my Google rank of this image by clicking on this link every once in a while:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...-palau.673337/

Thank you for your support!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 PM
stefan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzo View Post

One more thought that goes against the conventional wisdom = I would minimize the use of Epsom salt.

Hope that helps,
Russ
Humm found this interesting. What are your thoughts on epsom salt having a effect on breeding? I have had 3 females successfully hold in 3 years.. Sure is frustrating to say the least..
Old 01-22-2014, 02:43 PM
enshacra87

Quote:
That is a VERY common problem. In my opinion, eggs that are swallowed before the third morning were not fertilized. After a couple days, the female knows that the eggs are not fertilized and she then consumes/reabsorbs them. Stripping eggs that early would be an exercise in futility and an unintentional study on fungus development ;)

Why the eggs are not fertilized - not sure. Your alpha may not be doing his job? Competition from competing males seems to help the vitality of a successful spawning male & female population. Tell me about the males in the tank. Sizes between alpha and beta and the history between the two of them (have they fought for the role of alpha).

I suggest switching to a food that is high in protein from animals/meats. Supplementing with veggie foods is helpful (as an occasional supplement). I feed Mikula frozen Canadian mysis and frozen plankton as their main staple food.

I suspect your biggest issue is the male. After that, the trick is being patient, not getting frustrated, and reminding yourself to enjoy your pets regardless of fry production. Many cyphos owners have allowed themselves to get overly frustrated at the lack of fry production. You really only have minimal control over successful breeding and need to let go of that self imposed burden. Enjoy your pets and if you are blessed with fry, that is a bonus.

One more thought that goes against the conventional wisdom = I would minimize the use of Epsom salt.

Hope that helps,
Russ
Yes how did u know I had previously put epsom salt?
I appreciate my frontosas like they were my own babies, especially after a case of bloat that wiped my wild caught ones (13 inch moba male n 10 inch female plus a few more from the colony)

When u say meaty food, your not saying mammal meats. just checking, its shrimp etc right? I got in the freezer shrimps from Chinese market, no additives, very very small like less than ur thumb. Is it a good food source? I only fed them veggie pallets because i got overly paranoid over them taking a good poop after the bloat episode.
Is my male a problem you think? He is trying to breed my alpha female in the picture right above, to the point he ragged some of her scales... actually all three beta, alpha and this female always quarrel and I dont know why... The alpha seems to calmly approach to give her a poke... she turns around and does the mouth to mouth fight then beta male steps in n all three are arguing... but this is the only female i have never seen laying eggs and shes the biggest oldest girl here.
The man I bought this colony from says I quote: All of these females at some point held eggs. But Never said they had offspring.... And then Said if ou successfully get fry please save me some. If he did get fry he would ask me...
So lately I dimmed the lighting... they use to be in a tank with radion pro marine lights. now its blue hue low light neons... I think they will be more comfortable.
The real reason why I would love to have fry.. is because I already am supplying my friends store with mbunas and peacocks, But I got this whole room that I could turn into my own store (its a house extension) ...What kind of breeder am I if i cant even have one batch of the Real deal (frontosas). Its not really for the money, its for the passion and to cover expenses of my hobby.. SO hopefully ur advices work and we shall see something happening !
Old 01-22-2014, 02:52 PM
enshacra87

Quote:
Could you post a few pics of your alpha male?
Would a video do the trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wl-FPersD8
Old 01-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enshacra87 View Post
He is a beautiful fish. What I am interested in seeing is pictures of his vent area (profile view is fine). I want to see if he has his tube dropped. My alpha & beta always have a dropped tube.

Does you alpha normally have his fins flared like in the video ou is that just because he thinks you are going to feed him? We all love to see their flared fins; however, it has been my experience that an undisputed alpha, normally, does not flare his fins (except when competing for food at dinner time). It is common for sub dominant males to regularily flare fins.

Russ

Please help boost my Google rank of this image by clicking on this link every once in a while:

Old 01-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Shrimp is fine.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan88 View Post
Humm found this interesting. What are your thoughts on epsom salt having a effect on breeding? I have had 3 females successfully hold in 3 years.. Sure is frustrating to say the least..
I realize that I am in the minority on this opinion: Epsom salt is very hard on the digestive system of cichlids and should not be given too them.

Like everyone else, I used to use a small amount of Epsom with my water changes. After talking with a Fish Pharmacist, my opinion was changed. I will still use Epsom to treat wounds; however, my fish pharmacist does not encourage that (they have other meds).

My fish that got picked on (like my beta) had fin damage that would not heal and had, what appeared, to be a fungus or pre fungus on the edges of fins that had been tattered. It was not a fungus because it didn't spread to other fish. I was told by my fish pharmacist that the Epsom was the cause. I stopped using Epsom and it disappeared after a few water changes never to return.

I had an "expert" tell me this and everything in my fish tank improved after stopping the use of Epsom (including successful spawning). Correlation-yes, causality-???

I know there are people out there that swear by Epsom and have had great success in their tanks in every regard. I am just telling you the advice an "expert" gave me and the alleged results in my tank.

Hope that helps!

Russ

Old 01-22-2014, 05:23 PM
enshacra87

Ok i got u pics of the alpha sideways, the beta male n the 3rd contender.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

I do not see a dropped tube on your males which I would not consider normal. Their bellies are a little bit too sunken for my liking. I little lean is good; however, they look too lean to me. I suggest you work on nutrition first and figure out if some of your non Tang fish are out competing them for food (a species only tank is usually recommended if you want to breed cyphos).

I do not have experience feeding my fish shrimp from the grocery store so I can't comment on that. I find frozen Canadian mysis & frozen plankton to be exceptional for cyphos. You may also want to supplement with OSI spirulina flakes.

Your females are swallowing the eggs because they have not been fertilized (imho).

Again, I am most concerned with proper nutrition - I don't think your males are getting it for whatever reason (I have not looked closely at the females).

Hope that helps.

Russ

Old 01-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Have you had any health problems in the tank? Any abnormal feces?

Cypho feces should never be "stringy" at all. And the color of the feces should be brown and not "milky" or "translucent" at all. Based on those definitions, have you noticed any abnormal feces in the past six months?

Russ

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding