Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Photo Discussion
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Photo Discussion Share photos of your Cyphotilapia frontosa, gibberosa and their aquariums.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
mbovinet
VIP Member

::Profile::
Keeping: WC Kapampa and Burundi

After they have settled in they don't appear to be 100% Zaire
Old 01-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Sailfin
Veteran Member

Look to be a hybrid Burundi/Zaire.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:14 PM
nodoubtkit

they are stunning.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyAquatics View Post
You have mixed blood Frontosa IMO.

I think they are Burundi type mixed with Zaire.

A few of them look ok, but a few also have a mask that is not at all a typical Zaire.
Looks that way to me to me also. Just too much yellow in some of them and not enough mask. Unfortunate, and I hate to see it since you put so much into acquiring them.

I've had something like that happen to me, supposed to be Mpimbwe that turned out to be Burundi a few years ago, but I didn't go through what you did to get them and all it did was make me more careful when I got my Kapampa and I never did business with that seller again.

I hope you can get it rectified. Since we have the Review section here, I wonder if it would help persuade the seller to make it right by letting them know they will get an honestly unfavorable review if they don't make it right?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:27 PM
ups2525

Default Copy of my reply from Frontosa.com 1-26-10

Copy of my reply from Frontosa.com 1-26-10
I referenced a ton of pics and because I dont know the age of your fish I referenced many different sizes. I minimized the windows and did a side by side comparison and IMO they are "not' Moba. One thing I noticed right away is that there is some yellow"ish" coloration in the dorsal. I have 20 juvenile Moba (10 from Ron R.) and the dorsals are a light blue at the base and the blue darkens at the tip. The masks are what I would describe as "hazy" or not very defined. Just to clarify, Im ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERT but I do own 20 Moba and 9 7-13" Burundi and I spend way too much time watching my fish. The moment I saw the pics labeled as Moba I thought something didnt look right. Im really sorry to deliver bad news but if I were in your shoes I would want all the input I could get. PLEASE, only consider my input. Do extensive research, form your own opinion, and from a fellow fish lover good luck.

Update: Hello Nagukush. Well I see a lot of posts over here, I havent had a chance to read them, and yes I got your pm on this issue. I have been on vacation from work and I have spent most of my time the last 2 daysdoing some renovations on my water and electrical supply in my fish room. Point is I had your issue in mind while I watched my Moba and Burundi. I still stand my my original "gut" feeling. They dont look like any Moba I have ever seen. I repeat I see yellow in the dorsal and I have never seen a Moba w/yellow in the dorsal.

Here is a REALLY good suggestion, when the dust settles pm my friend Ron R. and get the best quality Moba fry in the hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 10 of Ron's jewels and you will not find better quality. Diane is a good friend of mine and is in the Hill Country Cichlid Club. She acquired 15 1.5" Moba fry from Ron 3 years ago and still has all 15. I saw her adut Moba and told myself that I would accept nothing less than Moba from Ron R. That was the best and easiest decision I have ever made in my hobby. I say "go Ron or go wrong" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey neutrinoman I ABSOLUTELY agree with the honest and negative report. In the event of his request being denied I think an IMMEDIATE honest report is a must!

I will do anything I can to help you out Nagukush. Pls keep me updated and once again good luck.

Here is a pic of my Moba. Pls excuse the pics Im headed to bed, rushed, took them w/the only camera I could find and my fish room is under renovation so the tank is in bad shape.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:57 AM
KitumbaHunter

Default Burundi X Breed!

Looks like Northern Variant Mixed, alot of Yellow! You need to get it resolved, sounds like what Dell is doing to me right now! Screwing me! Plus, If I want USA customer service I have to pay more! Hope you get this resolved soon! Good Luck man! I hope to get some gems from Ron R. one day!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 AM
nagukush

Hi Friends,

I have talked to the Importer again and he says that he will take the fish and return my money, but it will take time. He says that he will let me know regarding the formalities, but I'm not sure what the formalities are - because there were none while placing the order.

The importer also has said that I will have to pay for the shipping charges and he will refund only the money for the fish.

Friends, I understand that the fish are nice and colorful but these are not the fish for which I decided to spend 950 USD. I dont mind if the colors are good or bad - I just want the pure species - the zaire blues and not any cross breds...

If it was beauty i was after then honestly to me my burundis were more beautiful - atleast they were pure and not mixed.

If it was all about colors then there are a lot more colorful fish which are also not as expensive as the mobas.

I have enquired thru a friend who is in singapore and as per him F1 mobas are available there at a price much less than what I had paid for these cross breds and wild caught mobas are also available for just a fraction higher than what I have paid...

Its really sad Friends - I dont say that the Importer has done this to me intentionally and i know there has been a mistake somewhere but I promise on my baby boy that this is a huge amount of money for me and only I know the pains that I have taken to arrange it. I just cant let it go waste and I dont want to keep and care for these cross-breds. I just cant convince myself to learn to live with them...

Friends, I have decided that if the importer is not able to repay my money back - I'm going to give these hybrids away to somebody or will sell them at a burundi price and will quit the hobby...

I just cant take anymore and I dont see the point of being in the hobby...

It was my money and I think I should have the right to do what I want to do with it. Just because somebody in singapore sent me the wrong fish - is it necessary that I will have to learn to live with it ?

What if the Singapore people had unintentionally sent me goldfish instead of these hybrids - then people will expect me to stay calm and change my interest in the hobby and start keeping goldfish, just because the person in Singapore is very reputable and a big name and cant be questioned for his mistakes ?

I'm totally down Friends - I'm tired and I dont have the strength to move on... You all know me atleast to some extent - I promise I'm not a bad person - why should this happen to me...
Old 01-29-2010, 10:28 AM
frontkeeper

Keeping: Zaires: Kapampa, Moba

Hang in there Kush, I would really push for the importer to pay for the shipping, and I would use as leverage that was mentioned earlier about posting his name on this site, the other site you belong to and cichlid-forum.com The damage that would occur to any of his future sale could be significant ! After you get this settled I would take a little mental and physical break and then decide on what you want to do. You obviously have a extended family here who has gone along with this ride with you to get to your dream, and we all have experienced a large bump in the road with you, that you will overcome. If you decide to continue that great dream that you have, I would really consider your options of a contact that is a family member on either Frontosa sites and see what can be done to continue you DREAM !!!

Personally, I would like to thank you for your enthusiasm and enjoying the step by step process this journey that you have taken. Lets not allow this to be a permanent setback.

Mark
7- Gibberosa Zaires
1- 13.0" WC- Kapampa-male
3- 8.0"-10.5"-WC Kapampa-females
2- 9.0"- F1 - Blue Zaire females
1- synodontis multipunctatus (M-5") Cuckoo catfish(11yrs old)

Front Kingdom II
8-WC Mobas-2M/6F-200gal
Males-12.0"/11.0" Females-8.0"-9.5"

11 years and counting as a front keeper
Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Quote:
It was my money and I think I should have the right to do what I want to do with it. Just because somebody in singapore sent me the wrong fish - is it necessary that I will have to learn to live with it ?
I doubt that any experienced hobbyist who understands the difference in value between Zaires and Burundi or Zaires and cross-breds would tell you to just live with them for that kind of money. It's not as though you took a chance at a steal of a price way below market value and they turned out less than perfect, but not a big loss because they were so cheap.

Beyond that, at that price you should get what you paid for, period.

A seller accepting returned fish but not paying shipping is fairly common practice because that way there is no out of pocket cost to the seller, all they do is lose the sale. Of course, that's not really fair to you since it's not your fault you didn't get what you ordered and I would certainly make that argument to the seller. If the source in Singapore is a big name, it seems to me they could afford to absorb the shipping costs for the sake of maintaining a good reputation.

If the seller sells on Aquabid, a well known online hobbyist auction site, you may be able to post your bad experience on their "AquaBoards" forum in the Feedback section.

It may not be your style, but considering the investment involved, it may help in negotiating the settlement terms to let the seller know how disappointed and upset you are not to have gotten exactly what you ordered for such a large sum of money and that you have a lot of contacts in the hobby and an online presence on various well known forums and that, while all you want is to be treated fairly and have things made right, you would feel compelled to warn fellow hobbyists of your bad experience if they won't make it right.

Seems to me if you can communicate this to the agent (importer) you dealt with, they should try and help you with the original seller.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:09 PM
mbovinet
VIP Member

Keeping: WC Kapampa and Burundi

I don't think that a bad review on here will make him shake in his boots. There's not many members on here from India and it's pretty clear that the seller is only out for $$$ and not customer service

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Photo Discussion