Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 PM
Mudduck

::Profile::
Keeping: Wild Caught Kapampa Zaires
Default Best place to purchase new acrylic 7ft- 8ft tank stand

I'm interested and in the market! I think my Fronts would love to get out of the 135 6ft tank they are in now.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:20 AM
baddiesel

::Profile::

The best places to shop for a new tank (In my opinion), would depend on if it's a new one, or used one. I can offer some pointers on what to look for in a new construction acrylic and/or glass tank. Other folks can probably offer a different point of view as well.

Used Tank: Craigs List "CL"; expand on the areas in the U.S. that you're searching. Ebay, is another avenue. Exercise caution, I've found many "rolling wrecks" that I wouldn't want in my house.

New Construction: Since you're located in OKC, I'd Google DFW area and Houston. I can't remember the manufacturers name, but there's more than one in Texas. Art fully Acrylic in Manassas, VA makes a very made tank out of acrylic. They will probably the vendor I will chose for my next tank. I would NOT recommend glasscages.com. Too many reports of poor customer service, and sub-par construction.

What to look for (New Acrylic Construction): Thicker acrylic (3/4" minimum) depending on height of tank (IMO). Bullnose, or radius corners, annealed seams for strength. Options should include what type of overflow you would prefer, and what velocity or volume of flow. Hence a coast to coast, bean animal overflow for some folks. If it's a large tank, 300g +, I would see if a powder coated steel stand could be an option.

What to look for (New Glass Construction): Thicker glass (1/2" minimum) depending on height of tank (IMO). Pre drilled for whatever flow you want (same as above) For larger tanks, I recommend a good frame, either steel or eurobraced.

There's a lot more to add to this, but hopefully this will help you with your research. I've had a tank rupture on me once, therefore I'm a little "gun shy" of used tanks. There's some great buys out there, I haven't been that lucky locating them. Good Luck with your search.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment