Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:23 PM
frontoza

::Profile::
Default 9'' Moba male

Hello everyone, i just bought a 9'' Moba Male exactly one week ago and he havnt eaten NOTHING but MAYBE one or two morsel of african cichlid pellets, maybe. When i got him, his fins were kind of ripped, lower lip looked like he had gotten into a lip fight, and was not as perfect as i had hoped for. Seller said that he might have gotten beat up during transportation but that was highly unlikely as the 9'' Moba was in a icebox with 4 other mpimbwes of 6'' or smaller and it was dark so they couldnt had done much during the 1.5 hour drive.

I have a few questions that i hope anyone can help with any advice or comment, thanks in advance.

1. Seller said that the Moba had been eating NLS, i am unable to get any of that at the moment. Do frontosa tend to stick with one type of food ? I have tried feeding him flakes, pellets, ghost shrimp, krill. He havnt eaten any, the ghost shrimp are still crawling around doing their thing.

2. The moba is relatively inactive, stays in the cave most of the time. While he is in there, he barely move or even breathe, like a dead fish. Is that normal behavior for a frontosa in a cave?

3. The moba is really skinny, is this normal for adults?

4. When a frontosa havnt eaten, how many days until it starves itself to death?

He is the biggest fish in my tank, along with a couple of 3'' juvie and a clown loach along with 10 or so ghost shrimp running around, but he does not show his dominance like how their fins flare up and chase other fish around, this guy does not do any of that.

I currently have him in a 85 gallon tank:
(1) Fluval 405
(1) Rena XP4 (recently installed)
(1) large cave just for him
(3) juvie frontosa at about 3''
blue background
lights on only at night
airstone, thought he needed more air
temp around 78, pH around 8.0
water is crystal clear.
tank has been up and running for about 6 months prior to the moba.

I just want to make sure i can provide this fish with the best. If he does not eat for another couple days, should i contact the seller and request an exchange? The seller has been very nice and flexible with payment not to mention a great aquarist, i am sure he will have no problem with it. What should i do?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Steve2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontoza
Hello everyone, i just bought a 9'' Moba Male exactly one week ago and he havnt eaten NOTHING but MAYBE one or two morsel of african cichlid pellets, maybe. When i got him, his fins were kind of ripped, lower lip looked like he had gotten into a lip fight, and was not as perfect as i had hoped for. Seller said that he might have gotten beat up during transportation but that was highly unlikely as the 9'' Moba was in a icebox with 4 other mpimbwes of 6'' or smaller and it was dark so they couldnt had done much during the 1.5 hour drive.

I have a few questions that i hope anyone can help with any advice or comment, thanks in advance.

1. Seller said that the Moba had been eating NLS, i am unable to get any of that at the moment. Do frontosa tend to stick with one type of food ? I have tried feeding him flakes, pellets, ghost shrimp, krill. He havnt eaten any, the ghost shrimp are still crawling around doing their thing.

2. The moba is relatively inactive, stays in the cave most of the time. While he is in there, he barely move or even breathe, like a dead fish. Is that normal behavior for a frontosa in a cave?

3. The moba is really skinny, is this normal for adults?

4. When a frontosa havnt eaten, how many days until it starves itself to death?

He is the biggest fish in my tank, along with a couple of 3'' juvie and a clown loach along with 10 or so ghost shrimp running around, but he does not show his dominance like how their fins flare up and chase other fish around, this guy does not do any of that.

I currently have him in a 85 gallon tank:
(1) Fluval 405
(1) Rena XP4 (recently installed)
(1) large cave just for him
(3) juvie frontosa at about 3''
blue background
lights on only at night
airstone, thought he needed more air
temp around 78, pH around 8.0
water is crystal clear.
tank has been up and running for about 6 months prior to the moba.

I just want to make sure i can provide this fish with the best. If he does not eat for another couple days, should i contact the seller and request an exchange? The seller has been very nice and flexible with payment not to mention a great aquarist, i am sure he will have no problem with it. What should i do?
Keep the lights off in the tank for 2 days. Don't feed him or the tank. Keep the traffic in the room to a minimum. Contact Big Als or That Pet Place to purchase NLS. In 2 days try to feed him a little raw shrimp. They can go at least 10 days without food if not more. When I first got my alpha, he didn't eat for a week or so. He's fine now. For the slimness of him, some have thicker Moba some have slim. He should be fine. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:47 PM
MBison

Did you transport them or were they driven to you? 1.5 is plenty of time when they are confined TOGETHER in transport for a beating to occur. I made the mistake of putting two Bismark males in a big rubbermaid, one was dead within 1/2 hour.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:36 PM
sealord1au
VIP Member

Keeping: Moba , Mpimbwe , Burundi , Kigoma

need some other water test results

nitrate ?

nitrite ?

ammonnia ?

anything else you can think of?
Fry for sale in Queensland Australia PM me for prices
over 1500 gallons and all Frontosa Tanks
Burundi,Kigoma.W/C Moba and Mpimbwe's
Gold Coast Australia
Old 06-10-2007, 10:42 PM
frontoza

Default =/

Just bought some Hikari large cichlid pellets for this guy and still he does not even look at it.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 PM
JT

He could be picking off some ghost shrimp. I'd definitely test the water.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 PM
frontoza

Default water

i have no water test kit, but when i went to petsmart i brought a water sample for them to test. they said the results were fine.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:49 PM
frontoza

Default ghost shrimp

the ghost shrimp are still around, some are even in his cave. should i return this fish? i dont want him to die.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:59 PM
AudiA6
Site Advisor

I wouldn't sweat it just yet. My male I recently purchased didn't eat for almost 3 weeks........And is just now(4 months later) eating about once a week, where the others are eating 3 times a week.

My suggestion is try feeding first thing in the morning with the lights off. Worked for me. He'll eat when he gets hungry...

Cyphos.com, providing knowledge since 2002
Old 06-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Heather
VIP Member

Keeping: Kitumba, Kipili, Kigoma

I can honestly say it took a good solid 2 1/2 months to get my Kitumba alpha to eat regularly.

With that said... a test kit is in order IMO.... these fish are just too expensive to loose over an issue that can easily be avoided with water changes and testing when there's issues

I usually offer my new arrivals Hikari frozen bloodworms to get a belly on them and then transition them to a staple pellet, in my case NLS. Works every time

Video Gallery: Burundi | Kapampa | Kitumba | Mpimbwe | Moba | Samazi
Photo Gallery: Frontosa | Gibberosa | Cyphotilapia Aquariums

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition