Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tankmates
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tankmates Discussion of compatible Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tankmates.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Nanook

::Profile::
Keeping: Lupota

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempy07 View Post
I just read your last post. Boops are a bad idea, they are a smaller featherfins on crack. I'd imagine they would just be to much for tyhe fronts and probably stress them out. Calvus are always a nice edition if you get a high quality fish. Most calvus I've seen are rather drab, so just make sure you see what you're buying or buy from a trusted source.
Thanks, Iíll scratch them off the list of ideas. Calvus or compressiceps were high on my list, but Iím questioning which one to get? Advantages to one or the other? Donít calvus stay smaller making them more vulnerable to Fronts mouths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempy07 View Post
Cyathopharynx Faoi are probably THE most beautiful fish I've owned. I have a group of sibwesa I'm raising to go in with my fronts. I'm also raising a group of yellow peacocks, usisya flavescents, to add a splash of high contrast color. Should make for an outstanding display. Oh, and on a side note, nkambae are stunning fish with equally stunning ferocity. I've had a few groups over the years and they were all nasty fish once mature.
Nkambae are the pike-like fish? Iíve scratched them too, but they are pretty cool. The cyathopharynx faoi are a lot cheaper than the benthochromis tricoti and look nice, are they too hyper? Do they stay up high in the tank, or at least mid water? My Fronts are always right above the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestcat View Post
I keep a group of synodontis petricola dwarf with my fronts for quite a few years now and i really love them.
They kinda stick to them selves and help with keeping the substrate clean.
I know they have a reputation for stealing eggs but i never caught them doing so and all my females produce good numbers of juvies.
Thanks, Iíve not considered them. My true goal is to have a peaceful Zen tank but mixing it up with some consideration of whatís best for each fish.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:34 PM
Nanook

My Fronts are all doing well in the 375 gallon tank. Biweekly water changes of 150 gallons seems like overkill since my fish are all small still (2-3Ē).

I ordered some fish from Blue Chip Aquatics and I should be getting the following:

2 gold head Comps
2 Chaitika Gold Comps
6 Julidochromis Marksmithii FKA regani kipli
2 Black calvus
2 White calvus
6 Leleupi

Still looking for Gnathochromis and benthochromis tricoti.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:20 PM
Nanook

Blue Chip Aquatics hooked me up good. I forgot that I got two more calvus than what I listed above. Everything came in double bags, fish were active and healthy. Very good experience with Chip for anyone looking.

I also have some fish coming from Southeast Cichlids German pre-order, hoping for Gnathochromis Permaxillaris if they can find them. As it is, I have 6 Greenwoodchromis Bellcrossi coming in soon.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:31 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Ah, Greenwoodochromis, cool fish, don't see them often. Had tried to think of them for your list... like what was that other fish I've seen with fronts again? name didn't come to me at the time.

Looking forward to pics when you get a chance.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Nanook

I saw them in Ad Koning’s 3rd edition of Lake Tanganyika, really beautiful fish and I read somewhere that they’ll do fine with the Fronts. The Lelepui are really small, so I hope they survive.

At what size should I look at thinning the Front herd? I have 27 Lupota in there now from fisher, but I’m thinking with 10 calvus/Comps, 6 julidochromis, 6 greenwoodchromis, 6 lelepui and eventually a school of benthochromis tricoti, that 12-15 Fronts would be ideal? Maybe 3-5 males and 12 females? I really don’t know what is best since I’m new to this.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Nanook

I added some pics but the files were too big for the gallery, so I deleted them. Wish we had Tapatalk.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Nanook

Rereading my posts, I’m hoping the fish I’ve collected do okay with Fronts
Old 03-04-2018, 02:21 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I saw them in Ad Koning’s 3rd edition of Lake Tanganyika, really beautiful fish and I read somewhere that they’ll do fine with the Fronts. The Lelepui are really small, so I hope they survive.

At what size should I look at thinning the Front herd? I have 27 Lupota in there now from fisher, but I’m thinking with 10 calvus/Comps, 6 julidochromis, 6 greenwoodchromis, 6 lelepui and eventually a school of benthochromis tricoti, that 12-15 Fronts would be ideal? Maybe 3-5 males and 12 females? I really don’t know what is best since I’m new to this.
On paper that should work. Sometimes you just figure it out as you go, though, ime, based on what looks 'right' to you as they grow, or a male or two that was fine all along starts causing trouble, or you want more activity, or want things calmer, or simply want to change something for the sake of variety, etc.

Forgot to mention, we've had a few keep Greenwoodochromis with fronts here. As I remember it they got along pretty well.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:23 PM
Nanook

Thanks. Any idea what size the Fronts need to be before I sex them?
Old 03-06-2018, 11:54 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

That can be tricky. What size/age are yours?

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tankmates