Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Talk General Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:08 AM
Nanook

::Profile::
Keeping: Lupota
Default Which Flake food?

Iím feeding NLS and Northfin pellets, but wanting to try some Flake food besides the Prime Reef Flake.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:57 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

For fry or small fish I've used NLS and Omega One Super Color flakes.
Nanook (02-07-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 03:03 PM
punman

I’m feeding NLS and Northfin pellets too. I guess my question is, why do you want floating products, esp. for frontosas? Do we want to encourage them to come to the surface and take in air?

I find flakes too messy and I find all my cichlids "attack" sinking pellets like they are alive.
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
The Following User Says Thank You to punman For This Useful Post:
Nanook (02-07-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 04:33 PM
Nanook

My fish are all small and I’m trying to mix up the variety of foods they get. I also feed frozen mysis shrimp.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:11 PM
jwcollect

Keeping: Moba, Burundi, Misc. Lake Tanganyikan

I feed my fish a variety of different pellets, krill, spirulina and cichlid. In addition to pellets I feed Plankton to the small guys and krill to the big guys. I use flake food on occasion just to change it up a little. I use www.yourfishstuff.com brine shrimp and krill flake food. The flakes are pretty large and I grab a bunch and put it under water so it sinks. For a special treat I give them thawed out chopped up shrimp. They love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwcollect For This Useful Post:
Nanook (02-07-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 06:09 PM
punman

I think with NLS and Northfin you have two very good quality foods and I see no need to go with a bunch more variety but it is your call. Use a pepper grinder to make NLS and Northfin smaller. Fifteen years ago, just starting out with Africans, I used a good quality (or so I thought) flake food, but once I tried NLS I never looked back. I found flake food messy and too much ended up in the filters.
The Following User Says Thank You to punman For This Useful Post:
Nanook (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 AM
Nanook

Makes sense on the flakes. I will stick to pellets and meaty frozen foods.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:53 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by punman View Post
Do we want to encourage them to come to the surface and take in air?
This being a problem is largely a myth. Some, if they're tame enough, will come to the surface even for sinking pellets.

Just use simple logic. If this was actually true, you should not expose your fronts to air for any reason, not to net them out to bag them up, transfer to another tank, measure them, take photos, or strip eggs or fry. People do these things all the time with hardly a thought, including those who warn against feeding floating foods, not stopping to think how inconsistent with their food advice this is.

I've fed fronts floating foods for years, mainly freeze dried shrimps, etc. and in past years floating pellets at times. No problems whatsoever. On top of that, some of mine rush to the surface to get sinking pellets before they sink. Over the years I've had some come up, head out of the water, mouths wide open trying to catch pellets before they hit the water. My current alpha does it all the time. Again, no problems whatsoever.

One of my alphas would play a game where he'd go to the surface, capture an air bubble, go to the bottom and let it out, sometimes with a small, audible pop.

In-- I'm not even sure anymore, 17-18 total years keeping fronts-- I've had zero issues from the whole floating foods, gulping air thing. Is it possible an occasional individual has an issue with this most don't? Maybe, but again, taking them out of the water for any reason should also be a problem. Otherwise, I suspect something else is going on that's being misdiagnosed, possibly ingredients in the food, for example:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0211074741.htm
Handyjoe (02-08-2018), Nanook (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:08 PM
punman

neutrinoman - Thanks for your assessment on the floating issue. I have only had frontosas for just over 5.5 years. I have only lost two adult frontosas fish - one jumped out, the other situation looked like float - but I never could narrow it down to a particular cause of float.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:25 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by punman View Post
neutrinoman - Thanks for your assessment on the floating issue. I have only had frontosas for just over 5.5 years. I have only lost two adult frontosas fish - one jumped out, the other situation looked like float - but I never could narrow it down to a particular cause of float.
Was it male of female? Over the years most members here would say stress is the primary cause of float, which seems true generally, but doesn't pinpoint the cause of stress. I've seen it due to stress from aggression or getting roughed up by aggression. Also, being egg bound is sometimes a problem, I've lost a few females to being egg bound and some of the symptoms could be described as symptoms of float. I've had a few fry with float, I assumed from the stripping process (I prefer to strip swimming fry rather than eggs), but a little Epsom salt straightened them out pretty quickly.

I think it's possible for food to sometimes be a factor, a greedy individual maybe eats too much, or one has a sensitivity to certain ingredients or (as in the link above) to a certain combination of foods-- not saying that was the problem for yours, but the science that some ingredients (like soy) can cause intestinal problems in fish, with some species (and maybe some individuals?) more sensitive than others means some people could be blaming a food for floating when the issue is something else, potentially including the ingredients.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk