Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Talk General Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:48 PM
cschilly

::Profile::
Default Tank advice needed

Hi folks, so I have a 130ish gallon 6 foot tank with 6 moba. They are approximately 4 years old. I'm afraid I have at least 4 males. The alpha is beautiful, long trailing fins, nice color; he is probably almost 12 inches long. There are 2 more almost his size. Then 3 smaller. I have only verified that one is a female. She has recently started dropping her tube and chaos is ensuing.

How many of the big guys do you think I should try to rehome? I have a 55 gallon tank set up that I could also put a couple in.

Would you try to get rid of some of the males and start over with more juveniles?

Should I take the one verified female and put her in the 55 with one of the sub dominant males?

I'm really at a loss.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:02 AM
punman

Should I take the one verified female and put her in the 55 with one of the sub dominant males?
Might work short term but these fish do not pair off for life so likely not a long term fix.

Would you try to get rid of some of the males and start over with more juveniles?
Might work but the one mature female might be harassed and stressed with no other females. Other juvies might be fine in there (if over 3 inches) but no guarantee they will be mostly females.

My tank has 2M and 3F and all get along. You for sure need less males and more females but I am not sure which option is best.
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
Old 02-21-2018, 01:18 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

So you may have up to 3 females (the 3 smaller ones) but only one confirmed? There's not really a single foolproof solution, but sometimes one of the following works.

1-- A single male and female will work occasionally but it takes a reasonably mild male and the tank arranged to give the female spots to escape to when she wants. Doesn't have to be a cave, it can be a driftwood piece, couple of decent sized rocks, a tall rock in a corner, something she can get behind and discourage a male from bothering her. Like I say, this depends on the male being mild enough (or the female feisty enough).

2-- Sometimes you can remove a male or two and leave the rest and things will calm down, or calm down for a while. This might work for you considering you have 3 smaller ones that aren't likely to mess with the alpha. Personally, I'd probably try this to start with.

It may take some trial and error to get the right alpha, interested in spawning but not too rough. It may or may not be the biggest in your group. It can be a bit of a fine line for a breeding group, things often tend to get feisty when tubes drop and/or a spawn is imminent and a little fin damage isn't unusual, for some groups especially. So you may never totally eliminate that, but of course you don't want them really damaging each other.

Had a Burundi group once where the alpha and beta would get into some spectacular tussles, shook the tank, practically, but neither seemed to want to risk or inflict any real damage so I basically put up with it until I eventually sold off that group. Then again I've had groups develop real aggression where I make changes pretty quick.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:42 PM
cschilly

Thanks for the input punman & neutrinoman!

To complicate things, the female and alpha male both dropped tubes last night and eggs were laid and picked up by the female. Pretty incredible sight to see for the first time!

I think for now I will take out the 2 other large fish and put them in confinement til I can rehome them. That will leave the alpha, the holding female, and the other two smaller unsexed fish.

What fun fishkeeping is.

I also am thinking I will try to find someone who sells moba by the sex and get a couple more females.

I found someone on facebook who will sell trios of wild caught but they are a bit pricey. Might just have to break down and spend some money....
Old 02-21-2018, 07:24 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschilly View Post
Thanks for the input punman & neutrinoman!

To complicate things, the female and alpha male both dropped tubes last night and eggs were laid and picked up by the female. Pretty incredible sight to see for the first time!

I think for now I will take out the 2 other large fish and put them in confinement til I can rehome them. That will leave the alpha, the holding female, and the other two smaller unsexed fish.

What fun fishkeeping is.

I also am thinking I will try to find someone who sells moba by the sex and get a couple more females.

I found someone on facebook who will sell trios of wild caught but they are a bit pricey. Might just have to break down and spend some money....
Congrats. You might find the group settles down some after the spawn, can take a day or two-- often happens, but not with all groups. Not to say your plan isn't a good idea if you decide to go that way.
cschilly (02-26-2018)

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk