Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:04 AM
DarkFury
Veteran Member

::Profile::
Keeping: Kitumba and Moba
Default Question about Wet/Dry Bulkheads...

I've got a "dumb question" about Wet/Dry Bulkheads...

Coming off of the overflow... with a 1" slip bulkhead, what do you guys use to attach the drain hose?

Do you use a 1" slip x slip connector?

or

Do you use a piece of 1" PVC pipe cut to size to fit into the bulkhead and the hose?

Thanks in advance for your assistance with the question.

Hobbyist since 1982... Frontosa owner since 2002. Fish pimp for life.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:10 AM
mbovinet
VIP Member

Keeping: WC Kapampa and Burundi

The bulkhead should have threads on the inside of it as well. You can pick up a threaded barb fitting at a local hardware store to slid your tubing/hose onto the barbed site if that fitting

Something like this. I hope this helps....

Old 03-17-2008, 04:19 AM
mbovinet
VIP Member

Another pic showing exactly what I'm talking about. Keep in mind this is the return and much smaller than the drain I used. But you get the picture!!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:49 AM
riftaquatics

What you could do it cut a small chunk of 1" pvc and and use solvent to connect it to your bulkhead, and then buy a 1" female (slip) x female (thread) adapter and glue that to the other end of the pvc. You could then use the type of threaded bard fitting Mbovinet was showing. Or you could just go and purchase a threaded bulkhead and install it - would be much cleaner of an install. Don't know if there are any slip style bard fittings. Its also always a good idea to wrap any threaded fittings with a couple of wraps of teflon plumbing tape as well. It makes them go together much easier and provides a better seal.

One thing to note when using the barb style of connectors, you are further reducing the the maximum flow that you can get through your returns into your sump etc. (i.e. the I.D. of the barb fitting is smaller than 1" in order for the barb fitting to fit inside the tubing. For this reason I typically use spax flex flexible pvc, and use flexible PVC cement to weld it to say a pvc coupling. If it is something that I may need to take apart I either use threaded male and female connectors to take apart the (2) sections, or I simply use a pvc union. This way their is not further restriction in your returns.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 AM
pancake

Quote:
Originally Posted by riftaquatics View Post
What you could do it cut a small chunk of 1" pvc and and use solvent to connect it to your bulkhead, and then buy a 1" female (slip) x female (thread) adapter and glue that to the other end of the pvc. You could then use the type of threaded bard fitting Mbovinet was showing. Or you could just go and purchase a threaded bulkhead and install it - would be much cleaner of an install. Don't know if there are any slip style bard fittings. Its also always a good idea to wrap any threaded fittings with a couple of wraps of teflon plumbing tape as well. It makes them go together much easier and provides a better seal.

One thing to note when using the barb style of connectors, you are further reducing the the maximum flow that you can get through your returns into your sump etc. (i.e. the I.D. of the barb fitting is smaller than 1" in order for the barb fitting to fit inside the tubing. For this reason I typically use spax flex flexible pvc, and use flexible PVC cement to weld it to say a pvc coupling. If it is something that I may need to take apart I either use threaded male and female connectors to take apart the (2) sections, or I simply use a pvc union. This way their is not further restriction in your returns.
Me too!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 PM
mbovinet
VIP Member

I just had those pics for show. I did use teflon tape to seal it off. As far as the fittings themselves go I matched them up. The 3rd pic is of the return. It' the same size that's used on the return pump as well. So there really wasn't anymore reducing on it. The drain is the same size as well. From the bulkheads to the 90 degree elbows that went into the sump itself.

I've set up a few different drilled tanks like this. It's pretty fast and easy. It also makes moves or cleanings simple.

Your going to get many different answers from different folks. I'm not saying that mine is the corrent way, just 1 way that I like and works for me well. LMAO...........

Thanks

Mike
Old 03-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Fat B
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovinet View Post
Another pic showing exactly what I'm talking about. Keep in mind this is the return and much smaller than the drain I used. But you get the picture!!

This is what I used. Then I put on hose and used a hose clamp.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:27 PM
riftaquatics

I didn't mean to imply that one persons approach was incorrect or not as effective. If I did I apologize. I didn't mean to down play anyone else's ideas/suggestions. I was just trying to throw out some suggestions based on what my personal experiences have been. Not knowing the level of familiarity of the individual who started the thread I tried to cover all the bases, and didn't mean to imply that someone isn't doing/taking ceratin things into consideration when they put their system together etc.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:33 PM
mbovinet
VIP Member

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that one persons approach was incorrect or not as effective. If I did I apologize. I didn't mean to down play anyone else's ideas/suggestions. I was just trying to throw out some suggestions based on what my personal experiences have been. Not knowing the level of familiarity of the individual who started the thread I tried to cover all the bases, and didn't mean to imply that someone isn't doing/taking ceratin things into consideration when they put their system together etc.
I knew what you meant and there's no need for any apology. I was also just stating that my way was 1 way of many used. That's all. Thanks for your input as well.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Fat B
Veteran Member

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that one persons approach was incorrect or not as effective. If I did I apologize...
I didn't think you came across like that at all so no worries.

As far as water flow, I guess it it doesn't really matter if your flow keeps up with the amount of water you're pumping. If your pump doesn't drain your sump, you're good.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment