Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Breeding Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Razzo
Elite Member

::Profile::
Keeping: None
Default Large Cool Water Change?

As mentioned in another post, finally got my first successful spawn in Mikula Group Nyatzi. I did something a little different this time which I just remembered so I thought I'd share. I never do water changes before a spawn. My theory, basically, is: why dilute the pheromones.

With this spawn, Lil Blue (the holding female) had an advanced tube dropped for a couple days; so, I decided to do a 50% water change with 70 degree water. I also fed the tank the obligatory frozen mysis (and plankton) feeding.

This spawn also happened fast and was not a long drawn out ordeal. Is this a result of the cold water change or just what this female happened to do?

Large cool water changes lead to successful spawns: I can't be, dogmatically, sure that there is "causality;" however, I can say that it is a "coincidence."

I can say a few things for sure:
1) The large, cool, water change did not negatively affect this spawn.
2) I had my first successful spawn, after 1.5 years, in this tank after doing this.
3) I will be doing this procedure again in this tank.
4) I will be documenting my experiences.

I am very curious what your opinions and experiences are with this topic?

Thanks,
Russ
Old 07-30-2015, 10:43 AM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

I try to do at least a 50% water change whenever I have tubes dropping. The theory of diluting the pheromones seems like a valid point but after some time I've come to the theory that the cleaner the water when they spawn- the better the spawn. More eggs and less chance of fungus in the tumbler with the cleaner water after they've been stripped. This is just my personal theory. Right? Wrong? Who knows but that's my theory.lol
Razzo (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Funny, just recently I read an article debunking (in their opinion) tricks some think are 'triggers' for spawns. For my part, while I'm willing to keep an open mind, I didn't fully buy it. I've definitely seen different things appear to make a difference in spawning activity in more than one species, whether something you can feed or something you do in a tank, like a large water change. Is it always for the reasons some think? Supposedly mimicking seasonal changes, for example? Maybe not, which was one of their points. Also, I don't think anything we do is a foolproof, 'works every time' thing or that they must have us do this or that to spawn. But from what I've seen, some things can make a difference with some fish-- others, like most Malawi cichlids, could care less and will spawn a lot no matter what you do-- feed what you want, water good or bad, no mates of the same species, they don't care.

Not that it's foolproof ime, but large, cool water changes for fronts appear to have worked with my kaps, others here have said that in the past also.
Razzo (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Razzo
Elite Member

Keeping: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrinoman View Post
...Not that it's foolproof ime, but large, cool water changes for fronts appear to have worked with my kaps, others here have said that in the past also.
Thanks guys. Your responses are what I was expecting.

The other four females in this tank should spawn within a month. I already have the start of another tube. I think, I am going to be doing a lot of water changes this month

One question: what affect will future, 50%, 70-degree water changes have on the 20+ wigglers developing in the tumbler in this tank???? Perhaps, until I have another advanced dropped tube, I will keep the water change temp closer to the tank temp?
Old 07-30-2015, 12:50 PM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzo View Post

One question: what affect will future, 50%, 70-degree water changes have on the 20+ wigglers developing in the tumbler in this tank????
Not sure how the fry would react to much colder water but I've done many water changes of equal temps while fry were tumbling with no negative impacts on the fry.
On a side note however, I usually tumble my fry in a separate tank after they've hatched so...
Old 07-30-2015, 03:20 PM
mfehmi

Keeping: WC Moba

I had a friend with a wild colony of mobas. Two months ago he did the same thing as Razzo, a 50% water change at 1 am, so the tap water will be cooler, and after two days he had a succesful spawn.
Last week I tried the same thing, a 50% WC at 12 am, but right now the weather in Puerto Rico is too hot. 85 F at 12 am!!!!
I had to put a fan on high in top of the tank to lower the temperature. I will try it again when the temperature drops a little bit.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding