Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Photo Discussion
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Photo Discussion Share photos of your Cyphotilapia frontosa, gibberosa and their aquariums.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:09 PM
frontosa_guy_dan

::Profile::
Default my new tank and im not impressed! w/pics

hi all

first off i know im gonna hear well why did u buy it then......... well pics can be deceiving and when all the info isnt told to you b4 u buy it etc. i know its basically my own fault and im not looking for pitty. more just looking to vent a bit

i was looking a few months for a 6 footer. i finally found a 6 foot 160 gallon that was 2 feet wide with a wooden stand and wooden canpy lids and a built in shop light. for $600CDN, im thinking PERFECT and i posted the link where i seen the pics be but here it is again.http://www.pricenetwork.ca/gallery/...lbum=1354&pos=0

it looked good so i commited and said id take it and finally yesterday(monday) i took a friend with me and left at 8 30 am to go and sell my 75 gallon set up and a piranha, that went smooth enough except i forgot the intake tube with the vents on it for the AC300 filter so he has to pick a new one up which is dirt cheap anyways. then from there i went and bought some Nangu frontosa to add to my current 7, i got 8 more making 15 total and planned to put them in this new 160 gallon im supposed to pick up in the afternoon. the nangu have great colours but were quite a bit smaller then i had initially thought because the seller never had a pic of them, again my own fault, but i wanted them because i was told my males from past owners didnt get the job done breeding and i might need new males. these new males are about 6-7 inches and my old males are 8 inches. i paid $270 for the group of 8 so its not all that bad but i thought they would be bigger then they were, and im not even certain if the ratio is correct with 2 males 6 females. there is a couple "females" that look 4-5 inches and then there is about 4 fish that are all 6-7 inches and look similar to the males i tried to vent but im not certain.

then the worst part of my day, the 160 gallon tank. i get to the house and the tank was sitting on the stand still so we had to take off the wooden canopy and the wooden lid which he hand made himself and they were covered in mold because he didnt seal the PRESSBOARD he used to make it with. so then it came time to lift the 160 off the stand, the glass is half inch so its decent weight and there was 3 of us. i grabbed one end and my buddy and the seller grabbed the other when we were setting it on the floor my buddy sliced the hell out of his inside forarm nearly hitting veins. we left the tank on the floor and rushed him to the hospital. he took 10 internal stiches and 30 external stiches. the wound is 4-5 inches long and almost half an inch wide, almost hit the veins and they think it might have damaged his tendons or ligaments which then would require surgery. the seller took my newly bought nangu back to his house and put them in with his moba so that they didnt boil in my van while waiting at the hospital because yesterday in Toronto the temp was 117F with humidity. that was very very kind of him and he even brought back a bottle of water each for me and my buddy.

so we get back to the house a couple hours later and my friend is outta commision to help so he calls over 4 friends. we get it all in my van with the 6 of us now me his 4 friends and him. i have one end 4 friends on the other end and 1 guy holding the middle......... boy did they make me feel strong taking 4 of them to carry their end LMAO

i needed filters for the tank still and bought his fluval 403 cannister and ac500 for $100 more. so grand total i paid $700 for the tank which has tons of chips on the edges and scratches in the glass, the nice wooden stand that is made to fit a 6 foot by 18 wide tank.......... my tank is 2 feet wide so now i have to put plywood to spread the weight..... the friggin moldy canopy that was poorly made with PREESBOARD!!!!!!!!!!!! so im not usuing that with all the freaking mold that i dont want in my house cause its not healthy breathing mold spores in. and then the 2 filters for an extra $100. not to mention losing a couple hours cause the visit to the hospital. the edges of the glass are soooooooooo sharp that it shaves off some of my fingernail when i rub it along the corners of the tank.

i cant believe he didnt give me a better deal considering the condition of the tank and also the moldy crap i cant even use. then the stand that doesnt fit the tank along with his tank cutting my friend. the only deal IMO was $100 for the 2 filters. the cannister was lacking media tho........ a sponge and a bit of charcoal ammonia remover thats it.

overall im not really thrilled because now i need to build a new lid, new wooden hood canopy and also buy glass tops for it. and replace wooden trim alone the bottem of the tank because there was no plastic trim. oh and i had to repaint the back cause he scrapped off a ton of paint taking the ac500 off.

my day was terrible and i was looking forward to it for a couple weeks when i first called about it. i feel terrible for my friend becuase he was nice enough to help and he got hurt pretty bad. i wish he had of cut me a deal considering the poor condition of the tank and stuff.

1-10 i would rate this setup like a 3 or 4 for the price i paid. the filters were the best bargain but that was a seperate deal then the tank becuase they werent included.

im not really a happy camper but its my own fault i guess, but once i already had the other 8 nangu i couldnt keep 15 nangu from 4-8 inches in my 110 gallon 5 foot tank. i was between a rock and a hard place at that point. i cleaned the glass up that had paint slopped on it and took off all the silicone around the edges from the trim he had glued on. i bought some egg grate for temporary lids til i get more cash now to fix this. i was hoping for a show tank not a fishroom condition tank. its in my living room and has scratches on the glass. i wasnt told about scratches when i asked him, he told me it was his show tank......... i guess some people also consider mcdonalds as gourmet food.........

thanks for hearing my rant, here are the pics. the close up pic is a huge chip on the front that will be covered with trim. the last couple pics show the hand over because the stand is the wrong size. btw i have the middle part of the lid but forgot to put it on for the pics.

Dan

6 females 6-8"
10 Syno Petro
Ilangi Tropheus 75 gal
Breeding group of 20ish
Red Rainbow Tropheus 75 gal
Breeding group of 17 WC
Tropheus Fry Tank 75 gal
3 Syno Multi
2 Syno Polli
4 Kalambo Ventralis
Bushy Nose Pleco Breeding Trio 20 gal
1M Albino Longfin
2F Brown Shortfin
Leopard Frog Pleco 15 gal
5 Leopard Frog Pleco
Bushy Nose Pleco Fry 10 gal

Canadian Tanganyikan Cichlids
Old 08-01-2006, 08:57 PM
sealord1au
VIP Member

Keeping: Moba , Mpimbwe , Burundi , Kigoma

oh man they look awesome

i am sure you will get the stand and edgeing perfect real soon

looks great with all them in there awesome display when its finished
Fry for sale in Queensland Australia PM me for prices
over 1500 gallons and all Frontosa Tanks
Burundi,Kigoma.W/C Moba and Mpimbwe's
Gold Coast Australia
Old 08-01-2006, 10:14 PM
fishcrazy1
Veteran Member

Look on the bright side, your Nangus look great.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:21 PM
orthman

What a story! I wonder if there is a way to get the scratches out of glass. I know its not a problem with acrylic. I agree that those fish are so beautiful that attention will not be on the glass, but on them! Live and learn but sure is nice to have that extra room for those beauties.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Nero
Veteran Member

hey man,

i am sorry to hear all about that. i went threw a similar thing when i first bought a large tank. i drove 5 hours to get a tank that was said to be a 150 gallon. i wish i had gotton a picture before i went...big mistake....by the time i got there i was ready to take anything as long as it was decent. well this thing was crap...but i thought i could make it work. it had some sort of funky stand that all though it fit the tank, it was way to short. there were lava rocks glued to the back of the tank, which i did not notice until i had returned after a short while and the guy had emptied the tank.

i get home and all my friends laugh at me and cant believe that i bought the tank. it appeared that the tank was home made as it did not have any pieces that went through the top of the tank to brace it so i could not put the glass tops on. the canopy had lights attached to it, but it was like the lights you would put under kitchen cabinets in the early 90;s, so it made the tank appear yellow. boy oh boy...but i filled it with fish and it wasnt too bad, untill it started leaking a few months later. i eventually had to buy a brand new tank and then ultimately build a new stand and canopy (with the help of my girl friends father, and by that i mean he basically built it) .

I dont know how many times i wished that i had not rushed into that deal. I was just so eager to have a big tank. which by the way ended up being a 125 gallon and not a 150 gallon.

I kinda learned that going the cheaper used way , might not always be the best way.

I am sure that you can work up something to make it look better..maybe some sort of molding or something. I think that you should say something to that seller, becuase that seems like a lot of issues that you have. But i should say i have seen a lot of worse setups.....

but , and this is really the most improtant part, the fish look excellent!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Heather
VIP Member

Keeping: Kitumba, Kipili, Kigoma

OMG!!!!!!!! DAN!!!!!!!
Look at that Alpha male of yours! And those ladies!
This picture has made me a Zambian fan.... and I am determined to get some of my own now
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontosa_guy_dan
As far as the rest of the story....
I have a "pre-owned" 210g acrylic tank that is tannin stained (brown tinted).
"Buyer beware" when purchasing pre-owned set ups... but I'm sure there are some real deals out there too

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontosa_guy_dan
<<snipped>> ... i grabbed one end and my buddy and the seller grabbed the other when we were setting it on the floor my buddy sliced the hell out of his inside forarm nearly hitting veins. we left the tank on the floor and rushed him to the hospital. he took 10 internal stiches and 30 external stiches. the wound is 4-5 inches long and almost half an inch wide, almost hit the veins and they think it might have damaged his tendons or ligaments which then would require surgery. the seller took my newly bought nangu back to his house and put them in with his moba so that they didnt boil in my van while waiting at the hospital because yesterday in Toronto the temp was 117F with humidity. that was very very kind of him and he even brought back a bottle of water each for me and my buddy.
Wow that's enough for a bad day right there. Sorry to hear that about your poor buddy... I'm glad the seller was so kind to help you out like that

Video Gallery: Burundi | Kapampa | Kitumba | Mpimbwe | Moba | Samazi
Photo Gallery: Frontosa | Gibberosa | Cyphotilapia Aquariums
Old 08-01-2006, 11:38 PM
chen

hey Dan, take some close up picks of your nangu...I just picked up 7 of them from tropheus guy on PN...not sure if they are nangu although they are nice looking! and very vvery very cheap for large size fish...want to see you guys larger!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Fin
VIP Member

Sorry to hear about your bad day Dan

Thats one sweet looking colony 8)

I would be very nervous without lids covering the whole tank Atleast find something temporary before you start having more badnews
Old 08-02-2006, 01:18 AM
House_64
Veteran Member

Dan, sorry about your day..... esp. your buddy! That is my biggest fear with glass! Your fronts look awesome..... beautiful!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:44 AM
frontosa_guy_dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chen
hey Dan, take some close up picks of your nangu...I just picked up 7 of them from tropheus guy on PN...not sure if they are nangu although they are nice looking! and very vvery very cheap for large size fish...want to see you guys larger!
yeah i had an agreement with jae to pic up those fish august 14th and he said his "friend" sold them to someone. i know the price is cheap, thats why i was kinda mad after he told me that his "friend" sold them to someone else after he told me he would hold them for me.
6 females 6-8"
10 Syno Petro
Ilangi Tropheus 75 gal
Breeding group of 20ish
Red Rainbow Tropheus 75 gal
Breeding group of 17 WC
Tropheus Fry Tank 75 gal
3 Syno Multi
2 Syno Polli
4 Kalambo Ventralis
Bushy Nose Pleco Breeding Trio 20 gal
1M Albino Longfin