Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:09 AM
stefan88

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy_Cichlid View Post
I am going to try this out. I will also add some prawns (shrimps are a headache to clean-up), some carrots & peas (like mentioned). Peas are good for keeping stomach clean (and for bloat). So far as the meat goes, would mutton liver be a good substitute ?

LOL, and I have to get gelatine (not sure if thats available in my country). Any other substitute incase its not available ? Also have to be careful, that I do the mixing & grinding when the wife isnt at home Dont want to create IR issues at home.
HAHA no mutton liver.. Had to look that one up.. Though I'm not a big fan of liver, it sounds pretty good..

Yea peas and carrots sound good, would you cook the carrots down a bit to soften them up? Yea go simple, shrimp, squid and/or some white fish.. Humm gelatin should be easy to find.. Where do you live? There is the agar gar like i mentioned the main post that is probably best.. Or you can go with a vegetable based gelatin..
Old 09-15-2012, 01:11 AM
stefan88

Ohh and just tell the wife your making her a seafood jello pie... Then when dinner time rolls around tell her it came out horrible and you dumped it lol
Old 09-15-2012, 01:16 AM
jaideep
Veteran Member

Keeping: Ngumu Ngumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan88 View Post
Ohh and just tell the wife your making her a seafood jello pie... Then when dinner time rolls around tell her it came out horrible and you dumped it lol

Ohh, do I need to boil the vegetable before grinding them ? or even the prawns ? Can other freshwater local fish be added too ?
Old 09-15-2012, 01:29 AM
stefan88

Nope no need to boil.. Was just thinking maybe the carrots a little to soften them up.. I think raw might be a little to hard.. Its possible the frozen carrots are pre cooked..
Old 09-15-2012, 01:48 AM
jaideep
Veteran Member

Keeping: Ngumu Ngumu

I have been looking up other posts and maybe could add these too :
1. garlic (acts as a medication)
2. Spinach
3. Brocolli or perhaps cauliflower ???

Some people have even added multi-vitamin tablet. Wonder if one should add medicines for human consumption ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan88 View Post
Bro, you dont know how fussy people can be over food in my country, religious consideration. One wont allow any utensils or appliances used for cooking non-veg stuff to cook veg stuff. Some wont even allow cooking in the same kitchen. But, we have one kitchen and non-veg food Wifey will totally flip over if she hears that I used her utensils n grinder and spoons to cook fish food And keeping that stuff in packets in the deep-freezer
Old 10-14-2012, 07:54 PM
stefan88

Update on the food.. All 8 fish are eating it on a regular basis.. They seem to love it.. I have had this group for about 3 months now.. This weekend I'm seeing some signs of an upcoming spawn.. I will change the next batch of food and make Spirulina powder one of the main ingredients..
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 PM
stefan88

Have made my 2nd batch of food.. For a while I had them on a mix of NLS and my food once a week or so.. Past month they have been strictly on this homemade food.. My newest ingredient is the spirulna powder.. Fry have been eating as well.. They all seem to love it
Old 07-12-2013, 04:39 AM
gonefishingaquatics

I have made my own frontosa mix food for the past 3 years. What inspired me was shrimp mix for my tropheus.

With my frontosa food I have never thought to add vegetables. My ingredients were

Frozen shrimp
3 types of mysis shrimp
Squid
Freeze dried krill fines(kensfish)
Brine shrimp
Freeze dried blood worms
Liquid multivitamins
Garlic
Spiralina powder

All mixed with agar agar.

Food seems to float but all my fronts attack it like it was their favorite food. Not messy either.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition