Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 AM
stefan88

::Profile::
Default Made some fish food today!

Hey guys, I have not posted in a while but frequent the site daily.. So I was doing some digging on the net yesterday on making your own fish food and decided I'd use up my lazy labor day and make my new moba some healthy food.. Here is what I went with..

3/4 lb shrimp (removed shells)
1/2 lb red snapper fillet (scaled with skin on)
3/4 lb Tilapia fillet
1/2 lb Squid
1/2 lb cod fillet
1/2 cup Freeze dried Krill
1 1/4 Lb Organic Frozen peas
2 cups Organic kale (chopped)
3 Small sized Garlic cloves (crushed)
1/2 teaspoon Vitamin C Powder and 1/2 Teaspoon Baking soda
Agar-agar Powder (Gelatin substitute)

I started off with getting all the fish squid and shrimp in the food processor, broke it down slowly until it was pasty.. During this process I added water a few times to help the food processor do its job... I then added the vegetables and garlic.. After all the reading I did I figured this food would be rich in vitamins and minerals so I opted not to add any vitamins with the exception of vitamin C, mainly because I have a 1 lb bag of it.. I added a 1/2 tsp of vitamin C (2000 mg Ascorbic acid) and a 1/2 tsp of baking soda into a 1/4 cup of water..It now becomes an alkaline form of Vitamin C also known as Sodium ascorbate which basically makes it allot more absorbable then when its in its pure state as ascorbic acid.. Mixed it up until it fizzed out and added it to my fish food.. Made sure all the food was broken down and mixed very well.. Up untill this part everything was pretty easy.. Now it was times to start experimenting with the Agar-agar gelatin.. From what I understand if you are going with a gelatin to keep your food together agar is the best product to go with.. It is made from kelp and seaweeds so there allot more nutrients and minerals packed in there over your normal vegie based gelatin..

The agar was easy to track down at a local Whole foods but it was very pricey.. Small packet of agar flakes was 10 bucks.. I was honestly not sure how much I needed so I started with the idea I would do this in 2 batches.. Boiled half the packet of agar for about 5 minns constantly stirring making sure all the flakes melted.. I then added this to half of the batch of fish food.. Quickly mixed it all together and then poured thin layers into flat shallow baking pans.. Threw them in the fridge and let em sit for about 1/2 hour.. It didn't turn out so great.. It just was not firm enough.. So I just figured I needed more agar.. Found a asian market close by and sure enough they had all th agar agar you could imagine and it was dirt cheap lol.. I got about 5 times more there for a low price of 6.50$..

So back home I went.. Wife is making ribs, mom is over with my sister and her BF.. There making some type of bisque... The kitchen is a mess now lol.. There all looking at me like I'm nuts and asking me
what the hell are you doing now?? Simple answer was I don't know guys.. I'll tell you when its done

So with some New agar I got back to it.. I used agar powder that came in little packets.. They were .88 oz packets made by a company called Telephone brand... Decided to make this in two batches.. One packet for about 3-4 cups of food.. This times it worked great.. 10 mins in the fridge and it was like a nice stiff jello.. Ran a knife up and down creating small cubes.. Dumped them in zip lock bags and threw them in the freezer.. I did try feeding some to the moba.. They seemed to like them but they seemed a bit confused.. Maybe the texture? I'm hoping they will go crazy for it in the next coming weeks because I ended up with 4 1 gallon bags full.. They better!!! It smelled great, well kinda But If I was a fish I'd be thinking dinner.. Plus my dogs approved of it lol.. They couldn't get enough of the left over paste in the mixing bowls..

Everything went smooth except for the whole mixing the agar agar.. This product gells almost instantly it hits a cooler surface.. I had all the food at roughly room temp.. I would imagine if the food was hot or near the melting temp of the agar agar then the process would have went smoother.. But I did not want to cook any of the ingredients.. There are directions for agar such as water per tbsp of agar but when your mixing this stuff into wet food like I was there is really no guidline I could find on how much is needed.. In the end I would say I used roughly 1.5 ounces per 4 cups of food.. Anyone interested in doing this.. I would suggest to start with a very small batch to get an idea how much agar is needed... I probably made to much but hopefully it will all work out.. If not.. Like I said.. The dogs love it LOL

In all this cost about 35 bucks.. I'm thinking this could last me about a year??

Here is a good link if anyone is interested in trying this..
http://www.allnaturalpetcare.com/For...Nutrition.html
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 AM
jaideep
Veteran Member

Keeping: Ngumu Ngumu

Very informative post Will help people wanting to prepare good quality DIY fish food at home at a cheap price.

Just a few questions.
1. Does it sink ?
2. Does it disintegrate in the water ?
3. Do you need to keep the food refrigerated ?

Thanks - Jay
Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 AM
shep

Keeping: Moba, Kipili

nice work
I think i may have to give this a try (on a bit of a smaller scale)
The Following User Says Thank You to shep For This Useful Post:
stefan88 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 01:39 AM
stefan88

Here are some pictures of the final outcome

To answer your questions fishy.. Yes it does sink at a nice pace plenty of time for the fish too snatch it up before it hits the bottom.. I did not notice it disintegrating at all.. even the uneaten pieces.. I would imagine eventually it will but it definitely does not make a mess of the water.. This food needs to be kept in the freezer unless your using it with in the next 2 days or so... My plan is to take out what i will use on that given day.. Btw I always refrigerate my food weather it be flake pellet etc..
Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 AM
jico2
Site Advisor

Keeping: Chumbu,Pims,Kaps,Kits,Tembs,Samazi

Keep us posted on how the Moba like it.
240 Gallon 9 WC Tembwe
125 gallon 9 WC Kipilli
125 gallon 12 WC Chumbu
125 gallon 9 WC Mikula

This will be my last tank I promise. Oh who am I kidding?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 PM
stefan88

Fed it again today.. about 3 cubes broken up into small pieces.. They didnt go bonkers for it but everything was gone.. I'll keep everyone posted over the next up coming weeks..
Old 09-15-2012, 12:37 AM
stefan88

Little update.. Out of 8 WC moba 7 of them seem to really like the food..

Here is a video I used to help me out a bit..

The Following User Says Thank You to stefan88 For This Useful Post:
jaideep (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 12:40 AM
stefan88

Also I havent been really starving them much.. I have been doing daily feedings of the fish food I made.. Some pellets and raw shrimp.. Been pushing food on them mainly because I had a female who was sick and not eating.. Finally she is doing good.. Now I will be going on a every other day feeding schedule and I'll post more accurate results in the following weeks as I feed with this food I made..
Old 09-15-2012, 12:46 AM
jaideep
Veteran Member

Excellent work
Very helpful & informative.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 AM
jaideep
Veteran Member

I am going to try this out. I will also add some prawns (shrimps are a headache to clean-up), some carrots & peas (like mentioned). Peas are good for keeping stomach clean (and for bloat). So far as the meat goes, would mutton liver be a good substitute ?

LOL, and I have to get gelatine (not sure if thats available in my country). Any other substitute incase its not available ? Also have to be careful, that I do the mixing & grinding when the wife isnt at home Dont want to create IR issues at home.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition