Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:43 AM
[]V[]addog

::Profile::

information on content of xtreme for reference:

Ingredient List: Krill Meal, Shrimp Meal, Fish Meal, Herring Meal, Squid Meal, Octopus, Green Peas, Rice Meal, Wheat Flour, Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Spirolina blue-green algae, Stinging Nettles, Brewers Dried Yeast and Paprika.

Probiotics: For Xtreme applications we incorporate a blend of Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus pumilus, and Bacillus subtilis. This blend has strains of bacteria that reduce nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia, improve water clarity, help with feed digestion, and activity against fish pathogens. We typically supply this blend at a concentration of 50 billion (5e10) colony forming units/gram.

Xtreme Aquatic Food Diets formulated using premium ingredients, including Mysis, Krill, Shrimp, Herring, Squid, Menhadden and Octopus, Fish and Herring combined with Grown-in-the-USA spirulina and our proprietary Bio-pack vitamins and minerals. Nothing is left to chance. Each batch we mill is first tested, then fed on our tropical fish farm in South Florida and then packed for sale under the Xtreme brand. Much of the work we do is by hand, and every step of the process from harvest to delivery is inspected to insure that our quality standards are met.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:06 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Quote:
[]V[]addog;335981']Where are you getting those specs.... This is what I see as the breakdown

Guaranteed Analysis:

As mentioned, ingredients and guaranteed analysis are two different things. I linked the ingredients list I found in my earlier post, here's that link again: Link. That list is the same as the labels I've seen in stores.

Quote:
[]V[]addog;335987']information on content of xtreme for reference:

Ingredient List: Krill Meal, Shrimp Meal, Fish Meal, Herring Meal, Squid Meal, Octopus, Green Peas, Rice Meal, Wheat Flour, Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Spirolina blue-green algae, Stinging Nettles, Brewers Dried Yeast and Paprika.

Probiotics: For Xtreme applications we incorporate a blend of Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus pumilus, and Bacillus subtilis. This blend has strains of bacteria that reduce nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia, improve water clarity, help with feed digestion, and activity against fish pathogens. We typically supply this blend at a concentration of 50 billion (5e10) colony forming units/gram.

Xtreme Aquatic Food Diets formulated using premium ingredients, including Mysis, Krill, Shrimp, Herring, Squid, Menhadden and Octopus, Fish and Herring combined with Grown-in-the-USA spirulina and our proprietary Bio-pack vitamins and minerals. Nothing is left to chance. Each batch we mill is first tested, then fed on our tropical fish farm in South Florida and then packed for sale under the Xtreme brand. Much of the work we do is by hand, and every step of the process from harvest to delivery is inspected to insure that our quality standards are met.
Where did you find this? I first checked a couple of the product pages on their web page and didn't find any ingredients list, just standard rhetoric about how great their food is. Like I said, the list I found is the same as I've seen when I've checked their labels.

It's possible they've changed their ingredients. I really have no particular ax to grind here and not promoting a personal favorite brand-- been there done that with fish food debates years ago and I don't have much interest in it. For me it's about what's in the food, not the name on the label.

Northfin is made in Canada. People who use it seem to like it.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 AM
[]V[]addog

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrinoman View Post
As mentioned, ingredients and guaranteed analysis are two different things. I linked the ingredients list I found in my earlier post, here's that link again: Link. That list is the same as the labels I've seen in stores.

Where did you find this? I first checked a couple of the product pages on their web page and didn't find any ingredients list, just standard rhetoric about how great their food is. Like I said, the list I found is the same as I've seen when I've checked their labels.

It's possible they've changed their ingredients. I really have no particular ax to grind here and not promoting a personal favorite brand-- been there done that with fish food debates years ago and I don't have much interest in it. For me it's about what's in the food, not the name on the label.

Northfin is made in Canada. People who use it seem to like it.
Hey man,
I found it on there additional information, or questions page. Yeah, im not grinding any gear here. I'm more curious than anything. I love my fish, but there are plenty of food our on the market, and we probably all do more than necessary on here. Our fish probably eat like kinds compared to the average fish keeper. I agree with you about whats in the food is important.
Whether we use the analysis or the ingredients, I guess my point was i personally didn't see anything that stuck out as being a huge difference between them, meaning, i figured they were both decent foods.

I;ve been trying to feed more straight frozen foods lately to be honest. But you still need a good staple pellet. I'm for sure going to look in to forthfin more closely as well.

so, just to close, I'm not fighting, i like a good discussion and don;t take any offence to your or anyone else's perspective.

cheers bud
Old 11-26-2015, 10:58 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Ah, found it. That list looks like a significant upgrade from when I checked them out before, but nothing says a company can't improve their product. Couple of the stores I go to have it, I think. Makes me curious to check out their label again, last time I looked was not that long ago.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:30 AM
[]V[]addog

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrinoman View Post
Ah, found it. That list looks like a significant upgrade from when I checked them out before, but nothing says a company can't improve their product. Couple of the stores I go to have it, I think. Makes me curious to check out their label again, last time I looked was not that long ago.
that is interesting...

i wonder if either label is old, they just didnt pay for repackaging, or they are flat out lying on site, or... maybe the bottles you saw were purchased long ago?

who knows
you got me curious now though.... I'm goign to check the label of the bottle i just got from the supplier!
Old 11-27-2015, 10:58 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

It's possible it's a recent formula change and the labels are a bit behind, I've heard of other foods using up their old labels before a change appears on the label, like when NLS took soy protein isolate out of their foods.

Last time I looked at their label was earlier in the year, I was looking for something else, they didn't have it, didn't remember what the deal was with Xtreme, so I looked at the label and thought "That's right, this was the stuff with the soybean meal and a lot of wheat in it."

The Xtreme web site used to list the wheat and soy, etc. so you'd like to think they've done a formula change, but I couldn't say. Would be good marketing for them to promote it imo, if I improved a product that much I'd want people to know it... or maybe they don't realize how many fish food nerds there are out there?

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition