Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 AM
FAGO

::Profile::
Keeping: Moba
Default Is Marine food good for my moba

Im feeding Ocean Nutrition formula 1marine pellets for my Moba. Is it good to feed them this.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:26 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Can't say I know a 100% answer on this. I've actually tried to look into this before, though not extensively, and not yet found anything that satisfied me as an authoritative, fully reliable answer.

But, here's some of the bits and pieces I've gathered over time: According to Ocean Nutrition you can use their marine formulas for freshwater fish. I've read elsewhere that fw and sw foods can be swapped and then read elsewhere that fw fish will do ok on sw foods but not necessarily the other way around (according to some, sw fish need more iodine and certain minerals than fw fish) and then read elsewhere that the omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acid requirements are a little different for fw and sw fish (did some reading on Omega 3 vs 6 at one time but, honestly, I don't remember the details now, other than the omega 3, omega 6 content of fw and marine fish are somewhat different).

NLS generally says you can use their food for either fish, but they also now have a marine formula.

I have tried a marine fish food (Omega One) for fw fish for relatively short term experimental periods (several months) and there wasn't any apparent or discernible differences in my fish, but what I haven't done is try a longer term side by side test of fw vs. sw foods, something I have done to compare several fw foods.

Ingredients in Ocean Nutrition formula 1 look different (better) now than when I last checked a few years ago. The thing I'd have a hangup over on the ingredient list I found for Formula 1 pellets is "soy". Doesn't specify what form of soy, wonder why not. But, overall, I"m not a fan of soy in fish food, mainly due to reading I've done along the lines of this. The other ingredients look pretty good, except protein % might be on high side for most adult fw fish.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:24 PM
FAGO

Thank you for the info Neutrinoman. The reason im trying these food is because I cant find any good brands like NLS and others here in Cape Town. Sinking pellets are hard to come by. The only food are Tetra and HBH ( which I dont like). I use Tetra Bits with Sera meaty and vegy pellets which works great but the Sera food has become too costly. Now im looking at and trying out some good food. Realy not much variety for fw fish to choose from. Especially Frontosa.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:29 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Here's what Ocean Nutrition has to say:
Link
Quote:
Because of the higher needs of marine fish compared to those of freshwater fish, one can feed all ‘marine’ type flakes to freshwater fish. Freshwater flakes on the other hand do not cover all the needs of marine fish.
I do know a knowledgeable fish food guy who always says fw fish are pretty forgiving nutrition-wise compared to marine-- but also imo the above has to depend on brand. Might be true of Ocean Nutrition or when comparing marine vs. freshwater foods within the same brand for some products, but it's also obvious when you look at the ingredients of some of the cheap marine flakes out there that you're getting better ingredients in a high quality freshwater food. In other words, no way is Wardley marine flakes a better food than NLS, Omega One, etc. and you can see that by comparing ingredients.

Anyway, I suspect you're fine if that's the best available to you. This page lists marine pellet ingredients, little different from the other list I found, this one more specifically states "soya-lecithin" and other ingredients look good according to the list. Also, their marine pellet formula looks much closer to fw protein levels than their marine flakes.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 PM
FAGO

Thank you very very much. I appreciate your efforts.This will benefit others as well.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:02 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

your welcome

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Disease, Health and Nutrition