Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tankmates
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tankmates Discussion of compatible Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tankmates.

View Poll Results: What type of Cypho-keeper are you ?
Only Cyphos 40 48.78%
Cyphos & Tropheus 13 15.85%
Cyphos & Mbunas/Haps 11 13.41%
All of the above 18 21.95%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 AM
Kurrent

::Profile::

Right now I just have an empty tank. I'm trying to figure out what cypho I want, but I plan to drop in a trio of paratilapia polleni with them... Polkadots and stripes yay!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Bigbman

Keeping: Kitumba from Barry

210g has 12 Cyph. gibberosa Kitumba Zaire Blue, 2 nimb venustus, 3 nimb poly, 1 female black Calvus, 2 pair Neolamp. brichardi Kantalamba daffodil

125g has 6WC (2m 4f) Enantiopus sp. Kilesa, 3 (1m 2f)WC Telematochromis brichardi (ulwile), one male died , 6wc (2m 4f) paracyprichromis nigrippins blue neon looking for more, 12 nelamprologus multifussiotus (another shell dweller)

125g no fish, just cycling waiting for more funds to get more fish

75g the little woman's guppy, swordtail, platy and pleco tank...with the princess castle in the middle surrounded with blue rock for a mote...small price to pay for being able to turn one wall in the dining room into nothing but tanks (2-125, 1-75, 2-40g, and room for some 20g that he he
Old 02-07-2014, 02:37 AM
SilktheAbsentOne

Had a quick question. I currently keep large colonies of Tropheus but wanted to add a small colony of Zaire or Tanzanians (6--2m/4f) with them. I know that their diets are different but I have noticed that a lot of quality veggie based foods still contain high protein content. So 1. Could one of these Gibberosa do well on this diet and 2. Would the Tropheus be to active and keep the Gibberosa stressed?

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 PM
kewl_front
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilktheAbsentOne View Post
Had a quick question. I currently keep large colonies of Tropheus but wanted to add a small colony of Zaire or Tanzanians (6--2m/4f) with them. I know that their diets are different but I have noticed that a lot of quality veggie based foods still contain high protein content. So 1. Could one of these Gibberosa do well on this diet and 2. Would the Tropheus be to active and keep the Gibberosa stressed?

Thanks for any input.
Folks have done it but IMO it's not a good ideas as the fronts will hate the activity and their fins will get nipped. However if you don't care about the fins or breeding and it's just a show than it should be ok - especially if your tank is large enough - over 125 G.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:47 PM
SilktheAbsentOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewl_front View Post
Folks have done it but IMO it's not a good ideas as the fronts will hate the activity and their fins will get nipped. However if you don't care about the fins or breeding and it's just a show than it should be ok - especially if your tank is large enough - over 125 G.
Thanks, that was my biggest concern was the activity level of the Trophs and the Trophs bullying the Cyphos.

Would it be better to get a different variant of Cypho or are they all going to have the same temperment?

Tank is a 150 wide by the way, just a show tank. Not interested in breeding at least now. They could end up swimming over my rays though in a 7x3.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:59 PM
throw_this_away

Right now only cyphos as i am returning from a 8-10 year absence ftom the hobby.

In the past i had a variety of Tangs. I never had the space or money for cyphos... So i held off. I always wanted them as a crown of my tang collection. Looking back, i showed great restraint not buying them and stuffing them in a small tank.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:49 AM
punman

Today, as I do my vote I have a tank of frontosas and a tank of tropheus. I have been keeping African cichlids for 15 years. Started with Malawi cichlids for the first bit, dabbled in Tanganyika on the side, then was half and half. This is my third go around with frontosas in 15 years; my third time with tropheus. I have only had breeding tanks for most of those 15 years. Got rid of my last Malawi fish two years ago.
I, three years ago, had cyps and E kilesa and way back had C. foai. Interests come and go but I must say that the breeding group of C. foai is the one fish I sold that I now regret.

I like the combination of frontosas and tropheus (not in the same tank). It gives a broad range between the calm and the psychotic.
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tankmates