Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Talk General Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:52 AM
dragonfish70

::Profile::
Keeping: 180g EMPTY
Default Black Mobas?

Recently I have asked if anybody had any blue zaires or mpimbwe fry,. Somebody responded saying they had f1 "black mobas" fry for sale for $100 a piece. He personally told me that when they are fully grown they will fetch $300-$400 during a phone call. I just needed some opinions on this as I had no idea there was such a frontosa as "black mobas" and if this is a good buy. Kind of sketched about it, but if it is the real deal I do not mind dropping some cash for some. What makes a Moba "Black"? Is it possible? How rare are they? In my experience with frontosas I know you can get a good looking blue zaire adult for $100-$150 but $100 for a 1"-2" "Black" moba? This is just my curiousity and would like some input on this subject from more experienced frontosa keepers. Thanks -AJ
Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 AM
jico2
Site Advisor

Keeping: Chumbu,Pims,Kaps,Kits,Tembs,Samazi

Like you said, sounds sketchy to me too. I know RonR on here has "black" moba. To me, and I'm not saying anything negative, they look like a moba with dark dark coloring. Buy he has fry all the time, and I would have remembered if he was asking that much for them. But imo he would be the person to get info from.
240 Gallon 9 WC Tembwe
125 gallon 9 WC Kipilli
125 gallon 12 WC Chumbu
125 gallon 9 WC Mikula

This will be my last tank I promise. Oh who am I kidding?

Last edited by jico2; 08-07-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 AM
Shade

Keeping: Trophs. Bulu point, duboisi and lestradea perspicax

I can get something Called frontosa black widow mutation 2-3 inch size. May it be something down the alley with black moba? I dont know, as you say, it does sound sketchy!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:18 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Not necessarily sketchy, depending who it is and what they mean by it. Gibs can go all dark or even all black. Some do this only in certain moods and some will look very dark or black most to all of the time. It's an individual trait, not a different type of front.

Don't know who you're talking about, but Ron R here has what he calls his black moba momma, unusually dark and produces fry that are also dark. It's an impressive fish. I know this female and fry have a reputation where they are pretty sought after by some people. I don't know what he charges for them, not really my business anyway, but it would be up to the individual whether they they wanted to pay a premium. In any case, I know he has no trouble selling his, so if it's Ron you're talking about it's not sketchy imo. It's not a different kind of moba, but more of a particular breeding line from this individual female. But, like I said I don't really know what he sells them for, what they would fetch as adults, or any of that.

If it's not Ron R, I wouldn't know what their definition of black moba is, whether they're worth more money, etc. and couldn't say if it's sketchy or not. What I can say is there's not a different kind of moba that's officially called black moba.
Ron R. (08-10-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 PM
k1ngph1l

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrinoman View Post
Not necessarily sketchy, depending who it is and what they mean by it. Gibs can go all dark or even all black. Some do this only in certain moods and some will look very dark or black most to all of the time. It's an individual trait, not a different type of front.

Don't know who you're talking about, but Ron R here has what he calls his black moba momma, unusually dark and produces fry that are also dark. It's an impressive fish. I know this female and fry have a reputation where they are pretty sought after by some people. I don't know what he charges for them, not really my business anyway, but it would be up to the individual whether they they wanted to pay a premium. In any case, I know he has no trouble selling his, so if it's Ron you're talking about it's not sketchy imo. It's not a different kind of moba, but more of a particular breeding line from this individual female. But, like I said I don't really know what he sells them for, what they would fetch as adults, or any of that.

If it's not Ron R, I wouldn't know what their definition of black moba is, whether they're worth more money, etc. and couldn't say if it's sketchy or not. What I can say is there's not a different kind of moba that's officially called black moba.

Very well said. I actually received the very same email about the black mobas. To me it just seems like the fry from darker mobas, which doesn't necessarily mean that they should be worth more. Even with 2 darker parents it does not guarantee that the fry will turn out dark as well.

However, IMO, the hobby should not be about how much the fish will be worth some day or the resale value, it should be about enjoying the fish. Any breeder that makes claims like that will definitely not get any of my business.

Last edited by k1ngph1l; 08-08-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM
dragonfish70

It was from wacky9739 selling it to me for $100. I searched it on the net and a while back another person was selling these "black" mobas for $40. He told me to look up info and pics psred under great Experience under the breeding section. Its a person up in Anaheim im not saying anything negative too just my curiousity.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 PM
dragonfish70

And if you were wondering. I did ask wacky9739 if I could ask people about these "black" mobas when he gave me a call.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:51 PM
wacky9739

Keeping: wcmoba/f1 black mobas/wc black mobas
Default black mobas

these fry are from both male and female black all the time. male 13" female six" fry are 64 days old and showing dark blue already. these will make great brood stock
fx5s albino plecos electric yellows CLOWN LOACHES
195 GAL 2 WC MALES 10 F1 FEMALES
3 gal nursery 15 22day old f1 mobas
THANKS DAVID
Old 08-07-2012, 06:17 PM
jico2
Site Advisor

Keeping: Chumbu,Pims,Kaps,Kits,Tembs,Samazi

Wacky, I'd like to see some pics of the patents and fry?
240 Gallon 9 WC Tembwe
125 gallon 9 WC Kipilli
125 gallon 12 WC Chumbu
125 gallon 9 WC Mikula

This will be my last tank I promise. Oh who am I kidding?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 PM
dragonfish70

Jico2 it is under cyphos breeding under great experience he has picture that hostage42 uploaded for wacky9739.
Ballinxalex (08-09-2012)

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Talk