Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa Species, Variants & Collection Points.

View Poll Results: Are the recent imports of Kapampa actaully Kapampa?
YES: If the Africans say they were collected at Kapampa... I believe them. 10 14.29%
NO: "Recent" Kapampa imports are actually another Zaire varient being marketed as Kapampa. 23 32.86%
DISQUALIFIED: I purchased a "recent" import of Kapampa and I sincerely hope your wrong Russ. 1 1.43%
NOT SURE: I have no opinion on this topic yet. 36 51.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

::Profile::
Keeping: None
Default Kapampa or Not

As most of you know, I have some WC Kapampa. I would love to add some more WC Kapampa but I am very skeptical of "recent" imports (recent being defined as within the last two years). I do not believe the economics support collecting at Kapampa. Why would you incure all the extra expense of collecting at Kapampa when you have the "same" fish being collected at Moba & Kitumba. My suspicion (which is based on no facts whatsoever) is that any recent imports of Kapampa are actually Kitumba.

Disclaimer: I do not believe that any of our importers (in many cases, our friends) are intentially misleading anyone. If there is any misrepresentation, our importers are victims too.

Also, for anyone who may have purchased a recent import of Kapmapa, for your sake, I sincerely hope that my suspicion is wrong.

Your thoughts?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Fat B
Veteran Member

I marked I have no opinion on the matter but do who really thinks the collectors in Africa are ethically bound by invisible lines in the lake?

Besides, can you tell the difference between kapampa and kitumba 100% of the time? If not what percentage is it? If I had to guess I dont' think it would be that high.

If I had to guess, I'd also say there are places over there that have big vats of cichlids on shore and when they get large enough they ship them off as WC.

I think you have to have some blind faith. If they look like kapampa, you are satisfied and you have an honest seller, then you have to believe they are kapampa or your going to drive yourself bonkers.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:51 PM
acormier

Default WOW

Thats it, I want my money back from all the people who sold me kapampas. Just joking. Who knows what and where we are getting our WC. I just refer to my kaps as "zaire blues".

Thoughts without facts don't mean anything to me. I cannot stress enough. Evidence, facts, and qualifications, without these its all conjecture. ...and thats one thing I know for sure.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:23 AM
aftertherain24

i believe they are kapampas
Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 PM
joesfish

Just a thought but are Moba really Moba, everyone want Moba so if anything I would think they would label other Zaires as Moba. How many times have we looked at a non zaire variant and the person say they bought them as zaires from a breeder I think we have a better chance of getting the correct variant from a importer then some breeders. All it takes is a few bad breeders that crossbreed or mislabel the Fronts and it just becomes bigger and bigger until it's hard to find a good bloodline. Thats why it's important to develope a good relationship and trust with the breeders that we buy from. It is not always possible but always best to see the Fronts before you buy.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:37 AM
Jeff

Keeping: WC Moba

I don't think anyone can say for sure unless they actually do the research and speak to the people involved in the collection process/export/import, you just have to trust them. In the UK Kits are very hard to come by and valued highly so if I had kits instead of kaps I'd be quite happy. There's so much variation even within the different variants that I'm not even convinced of the need for distinguishing by collection point - its a marketing ploy as much as anything I feel. I reckon that a DNA analysis of all of the different variants would reveal virtually no difference. I will continue to recognise the differents CP's and keep them separate of course, but in the end if you like the fish, then buy them and don't worry about the cp.
Just my opinion!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:54 AM
joesfish

I agree Jeff, sometimes we get caught up with the collection points and breeding them and forget why we are in the hobby. I want interesting good looking fish that might not be high dollar demand, but ones I enjoy having. You might be right about the DNA, but until we know the facts we should keep them seperate.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:47 AM
sixnascarfans

well seeing as moba arent really moba theyre mtoto and kapampa is not even near the lake td say theyre gibberosa
Old 11-28-2009, 10:52 AM
kaeNo

Keeping: WC Kala Blue

this is a good topic , but it isn't only with only kaps its with all fronts being imported . soo if your going with someone that's trust worthy then i would go with his or her Word.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Dani3d

Some variants are so similar that I am wondering what's the fuss about? What's the point of worring about this is one cannot even see the difference between Kapampa, Moba or Kitumba?

If they would be at least a bit different then they could not pass Kitumba as Kapampa because people would see it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzo View Post
As most of you know, I have some WC Kapampa. I would love to add some more WC Kapampa but I am very skeptical of "recent" imports (recent being defined as within the last two years). I do not believe the economics support collecting at Kapampa. Why would you incure all the extra expense of collecting at Kapampa when you have the "same" fish being collected at Moba & Kitumba. My suspicion (which is based on no facts whatsoever) is that any recent imports of Kapampa are actually Kitumba.

Disclaimer: I do not believe that any of our importers (in many cases, our friends) are intentially misleading anyone. If there is any misrepresentation, our importers are victims too.

Also, for anyone who may have purchased a recent import of Kapmapa, for your sake, I sincerely hope that my suspicion is wrong.

Your thoughts?

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points